Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 05-13-2019, 01:06 PM   #1
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Adhesive remover for wheel weight goo

Can you recommend a solid product to get the goo off without paint damage to the wheel? I had my A/S and summers swapped out and of course there was a weight change on one wheel the they left the adhesive backing from the old weights. I wouldn't presume that basic Goo-Gone is going to get the job done here.

Edit: WD-40, perhaps?
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:41 PM   #2
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
Can you recommend a solid product to get the goo off without paint damage to the wheel? I had my A/S and summers swapped out and of course there was a weight change on one wheel the they left the adhesive backing from the old weights. I wouldn't presume that basic Goo-Gone is going to get the job done here.

Edit: WD-40, perhaps?
Start with Goo Gone. There are several types. Automotive is the one I'd start with. Let it soak. Use a plastic scraper tool.

Next, I go to Turtle Wax Label & Sticker Remover. It's a little stronger and gets almost everything off.

Then Stoner Tarminator Tar and Sap Remover. Much stronger, use gloves. Again plastic scraper tool.

One of those will get it off.

Last edited by KirkH; 05-13-2019 at 02:47 PM.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:24 PM   #3
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Gracias...will play around with it tonite, unfortunately will have to jack and pull the wheel in order to make an attempt at it, not acceptable installed but I may try that before jacking.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:44 PM   #4
KirkH

Quote:
Gracias...will play around with it tonite, unfortunately will have to jack and pull the wheel in order to make an attempt at it, not acceptable installed but I may try that before jacking.
Heres my thread on full wheel detail off the car:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...l+wheel+detail
Old 05-13-2019, 03:25 PM   #5
F419sr1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Heres my thread on full wheel detail off the car:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...l+wheel+detail
Thanks for the info
Old 05-13-2019, 03:39 PM   #6
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
plastic razor blades... solvent of your choice
thank me later
Old 05-13-2019, 03:56 PM   #7
warren3537

Drives: 2019 Red Hot ZL1 1LE: 2012 RAM 2500
CarPro Tar-X works great with any adhesive based products, or get a rubber wheel and it won't tear up the paint
warren3537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:25 PM   #8
VinnAY
Account Suspended

I found some similar to goo-gone orange product and as it turn's out it worked pretty well with not much elbow grease and a rag. soak, let it sit, rub, worked OK for what I needed.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:42 AM   #9
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Quote:
I found some similar to goo-gone orange product and as it turn's out it worked pretty well with not much elbow grease and a rag. soak, let it sit, rub, worked OK for what I needed.
Little late to the game here, but this stuff is awesome!!!
Attached Images

NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:30 AM   #10
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
Little late to the game here, but this stuff is awesome!!!
I have a Malco account and use several of their products, but that product has a big warning on it for causing cancer so be careful with that one!
Old 05-14-2019, 06:36 PM   #11
driven2exceSS

Thanks for the heads up
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
Old 05-15-2019, 06:53 AM   #12
VinnAY
Account Suspended

ah yes Cosmoline...you guys familiar with that product? I can still smell it...from being a prior collector of surplus firearms from Eastern Europe, cosmoline is just plain nasty to clean out of a rifle. Used as a storage preservative/protectant.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:28 AM   #13
driven2exceSS

Quote:
ah yes Cosmoline...you guys familiar with that product? I can still smell it...from being a prior collector of surplus firearms from Eastern Europe, cosmoline is just plain nasty to clean out of a rifle. Used as a storage preservative/protectant.
Not too familiar, but have been using it here and there since going to the NAPA dealer that carried the product line to find something that WILL work on the residue after removing the sun visor warming decals. Kirk is much more in tune, I'm not a detailer or anything close. But I did just use it for the very purpose of the wheel weight goo
Old 05-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #14
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
Not too familiar, but have been using it here and there since going to the NAPA dealer that carried the product line to find something that WILL work on the residue after removing the sun visor warming decals. Kirk is much more in tune, I'm not a detailer or anything close. But I did just use it for the very purpose of the wheel weight goo
Malco makes good products that work. I am just up to my elbows in the chemicals every day so i try to avoid the ones that have cancer warnings.