Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

AWE Tuning

Old 05-13-2019, 08:08 AM   #127
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCVTEC View Post
UPDATE... in the last coupe of days I decided to switch back to and fourth between stock controller and the DSC controller... this is just on the street, and here is the verdict... DSC may have some advantages but one advantage it absolutely does not have is dealing with bumps.. this one definitely goes to the stock controller.. as the matter of fact, the stock controller keeps the the car flatter in almost all situations..
one bump in particular I tried over and over, in all the modes with both controllers and with the DSC the car tries to throw me out of my seat.. and that is in all three modes, I even tuned the comfort setting out completely.. all it did was make the car very jittery, it did not make it handle the bump(s) better.. so as far as wavy or bumpy road, quick elevation changes, this one definitely goes to the stock controller
I'll ask the engineer address your concern, and provide information on how you need to adjust calibration in order satisfy your needs. Are you trying to duplicate stock tour mode ride in a ZL1?
MadMotorMagazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:21 AM   #128
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Quote:
still wondering why such a big difference... never mind the velocity differences and how the effect camaro vs corvette
The new cal is for track purposes. If you're tracking your car on a road course, try it out. If not, there's not benefit to uploading it to your controller. The changes shorten reaction time of shock or strut and sets it up for the requirements of a seasoned track driver, capable of pushing a car to its limits. I don't have that level of driving skill yet, but those who do, have seen some remarkable lap times. I do see a big improvement over stock, but have a long way to go to be an accomplished driver.

If you'll tell me what your goals are, maybe I can help by sharing my experiences.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:49 AM   #129
DOHCVTEC

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMotorMagazine View Post
I'll ask the engineer address your concern, and provide information on how you need to adjust calibration in order satisfy your needs. Are you trying to duplicate stock tour mode ride in a ZL1?
With the stock controller the car behaves well with bumps/waves in all three modes. Actually there is really very little difference in feel between the three modes using the stock controller
I just like how the stock controller deals with that better, stays flatter and feels sportier. I would live to figure out how to allow the DSC controller do the same thing
DOHCVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:54 AM   #130
DOHCVTEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMotorMagazine View Post
The new cal is for track purposes. If you're tracking your car on a road course, try it out. If not, there's not benefit to uploading it to your controller. The changes shorten reaction time of shock or strut and sets it up for the requirements of a seasoned track driver, capable of pushing a car to its limits. I don't have that level of driving skill yet, but those who do, have seen some remarkable lap times. I do see a big improvement over stock, but have a long way to go to be an accomplished driver.

If you'll tell me what your goals are, maybe I can help by sharing my experiences.
My only question is, (and I think it's an important one) is this new calibration compatible with the Camaro and does it work on the Camaro better than the previous calibration, since the new cal is designed around a Corvette with its different weight distribution, spring rates, and car behavior. I came out of a C6 ZO6 into the ZL1, they are very different cars.

Although when I look at the current Camaro calibration and the old Corvette/Z51 calibration they look exactly the same
Old 05-13-2019, 12:19 PM   #131
DOHCVTEC

Just had a nice long conversation with Michael.. Went through a lot of information.. I adjusted the rear shock voltage scaling back to 1100 ma at 100%, made a few other small adjustments (comfort settings mostly) and will give it a go..
track session will be later this month
will keep you posted
Old 05-13-2019, 01:27 PM   #132
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Quote:
Just had a nice long conversation with Michael.. Went through a lot of information.. I adjusted the rear shock voltage scaling back to 1100 ma at 100%, made a few other small adjustments (comfort settings mostly) and will give it a go..
track session will be later this month
will keep you posted
Good deal, glad you got in touch with him. I wasn't sure what your goals were, the ZR1 cal is a track based setup, but you can still have your cushy Tour mode with it. I'm sure you've seen if range is from 100 to 1500 mA then values in each table are higher comparing 100 to 1000 mA, and if velocity tables are the same, then 100 to 1500 mA will certainly have a noticeably different reaction to hitting bumps. I'm learning new things all the time, and I like it. Patience is a plus, because there's so much information to learn about a performance chassis, when it comes to setup. No component you buy substitutes for seat time and acquiring driver knowledge, that translates to accurate input for chassis adjustments. Michael can look at a GT3 cup car and tell you if it's going to be at the back or front of pack, but he's a chassis engineer with decades of racing experience, that's led to multiple championships. He's dedicated to making his knowledge available to club racers, and weekend warriors like me, thru innovative products, that give us the right tools, and a place to start. He's an amazing talent to say the least.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:02 PM   #133
DOHCVTEC

Goal is simple.. maximise mag ride abilities. Comfort, sportiness, capability. Keeping in mind that no shock control doesn't mean comfort, jarring ride doesn't mean sporty, super stiff doesn't mean capability..
Old 05-13-2019, 06:24 PM   #134
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Goal is simple.. maximise mag ride abilities. Comfort, sportiness, capability. Keeping in mind that no shock control doesn't mean comfort, jarring ride doesn't mean sporty, super stiff doesn't mean capability..
This is what is missing from DSC. They need to have some stock calibrations for street / track for a baseline on each platform.

From all the stuff I have read on it, Out of the Box it is a liability compared to the stock calibration. You need a chassis/racing/engineering degree to be able to even remotely get any benefit from it.

While it may be a powerful tool, it is not designed for the masses and caters to a very niche market.

This is where the general buying public can get screwed. Most consumers expect a handling performance improvement from the get go, not only after hours and hours of testing and adjusting. So they buy it expecting that and end up with a worse handling car in some situations.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:16 AM   #135
DOHCVTEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
This is what is missing from DSC. They need to have some stock calibrations for street / track for a baseline on each platform.

From all the stuff I have read on it, Out of the Box it is a liability compared to the stock calibration. You need a chassis/racing/engineering degree to be able to even remotely get any benefit from it.

While it may be a powerful tool, it is not designed for the masses and caters to a very niche market.

This is where the general buying public can get screwed. Most consumers expect a handling performance improvement from the get go, not only after hours and hours of testing and adjusting. So they buy it expecting that and end up with a worse handling car in some situations.
well this is what we are trying to solve

I wouldn't go as far as to say its a liability. I does some things worse, and some things better. And it has potential to do almost everything better, or at least to your liking.. out of the box tune is fine, and it was designed for a very cushy street drive. Unfortunately for some, it's too cushy and that is a pretty easy fix. its really just the control over bumps and staying flat thing that I would really love to solve, and then there would really be no real disadvantages to the DSC box imo... but right now I am trying the ZR1 calibration so once I get enough impressions, I will report.. so far I like it more than the original calibration. One thing DSC is good at, is slowing down and corner entry, mid corner control,... and it seems the new cal does it all even better.. trying to figure out also if it puts the power down better..

stay tuned
Old 01-05-2020, 04:38 PM   #136
booyaa56

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
Staying tuned, waiting on anymore feedback before I pull the trigger on this unit
booyaa56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:49 PM   #137
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
sub'd for reference
lots to digest here for sure
Old 01-28-2020, 03:13 PM   #138
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
I actually think that GM did a great job with their algorithms. If DSC would only offer their controller set to GM specs and just quicken the rebound reaction time to be quicker and inline with a performance coil-over, it would rock. That is all that is needed for the MRC to be as good as a coil-over.

MRC does a great job of keeping things smooth and controlled, but is still a bit lazier on the rebound stroke compared to a coil-over.

I'm not sure that can be done though, as I think that is more a function of computing power, not damping curves, or so I think.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:30 AM   #139
RabbitZL1

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
UPDATE... in the last coupe of days I decided to switch back to and fourth between stock controller and the DSC controller... this is just on the street, and here is the verdict... DSC may have some advantages but one advantage it absolutely does not have is dealing with bumps.. this one definitely goes to the stock controller.. as the matter of fact, the stock controller keeps the the car flatter in almost all situations..
one bump in particular I tried over and over, in all the modes with both controllers and with the DSC the car tries to throw me out of my seat.. and that is in all three modes, I even tuned the comfort setting out completely.. all it did was make the car very jittery, it did not make it handle the bump(s) better.. so as far as wavy or bumpy road, quick elevation changes, this one definitely goes to the stock controller
Back from the dead. Has this been addressed?
RabbitZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 02:49 PM   #140
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Glad your learning and experimenting with calibrations. Personally, I don't want the DSC V4 controller to keep the car flatter, if I did, it's easily changed. OEM unit is not active like DSC V4, its reactive. When I autocross, I'm intentionally putting some roll in the car... more weight on my outer tires plants them, and helps rotate the car quickly. DSC Sport V4, when custom calibrated properly, can do anything the OEM controller can do, as a basic function, but if you start making changes without knowing the effective range of those changes, there's a good chance you're not achieving positive results. If you've got a ZL1, the stock Camaro calibration will work, but it was configured for the lighter SS 1LE. Call Jeremy at DSC Sport, tell him what you're wanting to do, he should be able to help you out. I recently outfitted my 2018 ZL1 1LE with DSC Sport RT coil over shocks and V4 controller. Car is amazing.

The latest SCCA National Champion in Prepared class for road course, and National Champion in CAM C autocross, were equipped with a DSC Sport V4 controller, and RT shocks. Several track records have also been set with OEM MRC and DSC V4 controller. As a driver's ability and efforts increase, so does the difference between DSC V4 active controller and OEM reactive controller. That means even in Track mode, there's not a harsh ride like a stock ZL1 1LE. When driver inputs tell the controller you're making a racing move, it changes settings to optimize within milliseconds. Sounds like you just need a custom calibration for heavy ZL1. I'd also recommend a ZL1 1LE rear adjustable swaybar, which is much softer that a OEM ZL1 non-adjustable bar, unless you want the car flat, non compliant, and driving like a go cart with a live axle... : )

Tags
dsc controller, dsc sport, mag ride, zl1