Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-10-2015, 09:13 AM   #1
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
2016 6 speed vs 2015

Hey everybody I was wondering if anybody knows or has a link to what changed for 2016 in the manual transmission. I know the bell housing bolt pattern changed but is the transmission physically smaller, is it stronger what's the model . Thanks
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:59 AM   #2
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
I can't really speak for the gen5 6speeds but I can tell you that you do NOT need to TOUCH the gen6 one. My first mod has always been bushings and a short throw. This one doesn't need either.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:01 AM   #3
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Well they added the active rev match, and I heard about the bolt pattern change as well. I hope they did a few things to beef up the second gear syncro as that was a problem area on a lot of the gen 5 ones. Many complaints of a grind on a hard, high rpm 1-2 shift. It still is some sort of TR-6060, not sure of the exact model though...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #4
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
I can't really speak for the gen5 6speeds but I can tell you that you do NOT need to TOUCH the gen6 one. My first mod has always been bushings and a short throw. This one doesn't need either.
I hope they improved the clutch fluid storage on the master cylinder. On the 5th gen it was too small, and placed where it got too hot, which could result in the clutch pedal sticking to to floor when doing multiple high rpm shifts...some had good luck fixing the issue with a larger, remote place to hold the clutch fluid, and adding a stainless shift line.

I haven't really looked on the new car if the size was bumped up and it's position moved to help with this issue. Either way, I will most likely do a stainless shift line, as this helps with shifting regardless of this issue.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:19 AM   #5
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
I hope they improved the clutch fluid storage on the master cylinder. On the 5th gen it was too small, and placed where it got too hot, which could result in the clutch pedal sticking to to floor when doing multiple high rpm shifts...some had good luck fixing the issue with a larger, remote place to hold the clutch fluid, and adding a stainless shift line.

I haven't really looked on the new car if the size was bumped up and it's position moved to help with this issue. Either way, I will most likely do a stainless shift line, as this helps with shifting regardless of this issue.
They probably have, they added 3 total coolers just to gen6 ss compared to the gen5 is what I am told. When you look at the car you can see them from the front grill opening as well. I am damn sure they have done something about the at least fluid storage capacity. They really did go all out on the gen6 base SS. It truly is scaring me what they will come out with soon. Both AO and Tom P said NO COMMENT! To my so whats the next upper model for the SS but they also told me that don't worry, something(s) are coming up and people will hear about it and LOVE it.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:51 AM   #6
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
They probably have, they added 3 total coolers just to gen6 ss compared to the gen5 is what I am told. When you look at the car you can see them from the front grill opening as well. I am damn sure they have done something about the at least fluid storage capacity. They really did go all out on the gen6 base SS. It truly is scaring me what they will come out with soon. Both AO and Tom P said NO COMMENT! To my so whats the next upper model for the SS but they also told me that don't worry, something(s) are coming up and people will hear about it and LOVE it.
I understand that, but none of that has to do with the clutch master cylinder fluid storage...I will need to take a look at some detailed engine shots and see if I can tell if any changes have been made. I hope/assume they have.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #7
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
GM Powertrain Information Site:
http://www.gmpowertrain.com/VehicleE...nProducts.aspx

5th gen:
V6: Aisin AY6
V8: Tremec TR 6060

6th gen
I4/V6: Tremec TR 3160
V8: Tremec TR 6060

The TR 3160 is the same used in the Mustang GT-350.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:18 PM   #8
BahamaTodd

Brake/Clutch fluid reservoir are in the same location #5. The fluid capacity isn't listed though.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2015, 01:09 PM   #9
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
Brake/Clutch fluid reservoir are in the same location #5. The fluid capacity isn't listed though.
I just hope they did separate the clutch and brake system this time, in the 5th gen they did not. Hard to see in that pic...
Old 11-10-2015, 01:48 PM   #10
BahamaTodd

Quote:
I just hope they did separate the clutch and brake system this time, in the 5th gen they did not. Hard to see in that pic...
They are not separate.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:58 PM   #11
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
They are not separate.
Ugh, that sucks. Such a cost cutting measure. Guess this car will need the kit to separate the two like the 5th gen if you track it, or beat on it a lot. Thankfully it's only like a $100 kit.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:53 PM   #12
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Well they added the active rev match, and I heard about the bolt pattern change as well. I hope they did a few things to beef up the second gear syncro as that was a problem area on a lot of the gen 5 ones. Many complaints of a grind on a hard, high rpm 1-2 shift. It still is some sort of TR-6060, not sure of the exact model though...
lol drive a mt-82 5.0

no issues with mine but you have to be very gentle...
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:58 PM   #13
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
lol drive a mt-82 5.0

no issues with mine but you have to be very gentle...
Been there done that. I had an '11 GT with that POS called a transmission. Ford did a near buyback and got me into a 6R80 auto GT, which is what is going bye bye for the new SS soon...