#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #43
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
So airflow is a good reason for a bad design? Did 2016-2018 had a bad airflow?
How those ugly cheeks help airflow?

Airflow is not everything, otherwise we will have a huge hole as the front of the car
Do you know anything about performance cars ?? Airflow is everything .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #44
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Hecho en Mexico por labor barato. They're using cheap labor in MX to preserve sales gross margins in the uber-competitive small/midsize SUV space. Their primary market differentiator will be MSRP.

Not sure if I'd do the same, but $$$ is $$$ and MX labor rates are about 1/5th to 1/10th of that in the US. So if labor is 40% of you gross margin cost, cutting that cost by ~50% or about 20% net savings (after giving back higher transportation costs) is a pretty compelling business case.

It's a bold move for Mary Barry given the risky status of NAFTA amidst a growing international trade war. If you don't hear Trump tweet about it, then they already had his blessing to do so.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:07 AM   #45
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:

Airflow is not everything, otherwise we will have a huge hole as the front of the car
I was going to comment on a silmar point. Function over form is never a good design technique rule when building a car. The form is what people notice first before fucntion. If they dont like its form they wont care about its function

There are expection though. Take the 1LE ZL1. Those canards and wing look awful, but they get a pass because the are seen on real race cars and actually have a measurable advantage. These cars are also purchased more by people will use them as intended instead of communting to work and out to diner as the basic SS is mainly. Most people buying an SS wanting a good looking car with some performance.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:50 AM   #46
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
I',m not a fan of the new Chevy front end look, and really don't see where this has a place in the linelup that is already crowded. Awe will see.

I personally don't care where it is built. Free trade and the marketplace will decide.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:40 AM   #47

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Odds are this is the less expensive front on the Blazer that we'll see most of the time...I don't see too much Camaro here...looks more like a Malibu station-wagon...

Name:  F6w1bDp.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  298.3 KB
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:54 AM   #48
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:

we will in 2019...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:15 AM   #49
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I was going to comment on a silmar point. Function over form is never a good design technique rule when building a car. The form is what people notice first before fucntion. If they dont like its form they wont care about its function

There are expection though. Take the 1LE ZL1. Those canards and wing look awful, but they get a pass because the are seen on real race cars and actually have a measurable advantage. These cars are also purchased more by people will use them as intended instead of communting to work and out to diner as the basic SS is mainly. Most people buying an SS wanting a good looking car with some performance.
I’m not seeing that there is a problem with either.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:44 PM   #50
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
I’m not seeing that there is a problem with either.
Agree, except I’m not seeing a good looking car in those pictures. I’m sure the performance is there.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:48 PM   #51
HYPER1LE

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE HBM
Quote:

+1

I agree. Good airflow doesn’t have to compromise a great design. It’s intersting that airflow is so good and optimized for the ZL1 and better yet the ZL1 1LE that that is the very reason that GM cited for not messing with it. The new Corvette ZR1 is another example. For me, when I look at all of the 5th Gens (RS, SS, ZL1) and the ‘16-‘18’s, the Camaro family of trims is immediately recognizable to most. Now, the separate designs of the refresh do not. Ok, I hear that reasoning is for each to be unique, but they pulled it off better for the 2.0 and 3.6 LS, LT but the SS I just can’t come to like or have it grow on me. There have been some photoshopped renders here on the forum relocating the flowtie to the upper grille and breaking up that mass of black on the front end that change my feeling about it from thumbs down to thumbs up. If my 2017 were to be totaled and I wanted a new car replacement, I would try to get the ZL1 since the redesign of the rear I’m fine with. If out of my reach, I’d settle for the SS but would make some appearance changes to the front with body-color paint or wrap to try and get close to those renders I liked. I’m sure some owners of the new SS’s will.

Anyway, a bit off topic for the new Blazer. I expected it to be built on the Colorado frame but I get the CUV direction. Better fuel economy and most will stay driven on the road rather than taken off road. And sales drive design I suppose.
HYPER1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #52
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
Do you know anything about performance cars ?? Airflow is everything .
The airflow argument only goes so far.

If you take a look at the front grill/bumper on a lot of these new gaping maw predator designs, a lot of the airflow is blocked off by the bumper support and close out panels.

However, to make things appear larger and more aggressive, they black out the whole center section so it appears like it's one big giant grill. When in reality, it's just the same as before. A thinner upper grill and a slightly larger lower grill intake down below.

As for the ugly canards and huge park bench style wing on the 1LE/ZL1, I'd really like to find a study that explains how well those front bumper canards improve "lap times". If they were that beneficial and crucial to lap performance, all performance production cars would have them.

The giant rear wing I can understand to some degree. However, the 5th gen Z28 did not have such an huge oversized wing on it and it was a fairly capable car around the track. If the huge wing was so beneficial to improving performance, why didn't GM put a ZL1/1LE style wing on the back of the Z28 back in '14?

I'm thinking they could have done that, but decided on a more conservative (asthetically pleasing) approach to achieve the kind of rear downforce numbers they needed for the car.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:05 PM   #53
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
The problem with the Camaro is they tried to force a corporate fascia on the car and it didn’t work.

The corporate fascia works much better with the proportions of the new Blazer.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:13 PM   #54
Johnwon

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS, NPP, A8.
I would love to park one of these next to my Camaro. I really like the interior and exterior styling.
Johnwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #55
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Odds are this is the less expensive front on the Blazer that we'll see most of the time...I don't see too much Camaro here...looks more like a Malibu station-wagon...

Attachment 942631
That is the premier trim in that photo , the red RS they show would be below premier then LT and LS trim . Price i been hearing is low 30sK to low 40sK . I hope they do a Redline edition you can add to premier because that would give all the looks of the RS but will have 300 hp V6 .
Old 06-24-2018, 01:44 PM   #56
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
The airflow argument only goes so far.

If you take a look at the front grill/bumper on a lot of these new gaping maw predator designs, a lot of the airflow is blocked off by the bumper support and close out panels.

However, to make things appear larger and more aggressive, they black out the whole center section so it appears like it's one big giant grill. When in reality, it's just the same as before. A thinner upper grill and a slightly larger lower grill intake down below.

As for the ugly canards and huge park bench style wing on the 1LE/ZL1, I'd really like to find a study that explains how well those front bumper canards improve "lap times". If they were that beneficial and crucial to lap performance, all performance production cars would have them.

The giant rear wing I can understand to some degree. However, the 5th gen Z28 did not have such an huge oversized wing on it and it was a fairly capable car around the track. If the huge wing was so beneficial to improving performance, why didn't GM put a ZL1/1LE style wing on the back of the Z28 back in '14?

I'm thinking they could have done that, but decided on a more conservative (asthetically pleasing) approach to achieve the kind of rear downforce numbers they needed for the car.
I am not a fan of these big grilles and most are just for looks , but if you look at the front of the refresh you can see how and where they want air to go and don't go . I really like what they done with it and look forward to see how much more performance is gained , especially with the SS/1LE .
I don't think the Z28 needed any more downward force from a wing because it supplied plenty of it own weight , i would bet it would feel very hairy at 140 mph with a wing .