Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-17-2023, 03:02 PM   #1
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
"service stabilitrak"

hadnt driven my 2 LT in about a week,so i was easy on the gas for the first mile.came to a traffic light and looked down,stabilitrac and a wrench were showing.car was idling just a hair rough.i got on it it hard leaving the stoplight and everything has been fine since.possibly new plugs soon?(85k on original plugs so theyre 8 years old)
redcoats1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 04:20 PM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Might be a battery getting week.
gtstorey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 04:49 PM   #3
JAFWF
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 1994 Z/28 Convertible
I would venture you have got your moneys worth out of your plugs.
JAFWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 04:57 PM   #4
redcoats1976

battery was replaced about 3 months ago.is there a DIY on the plugs somewhere,i understand they are inside the intake manifold on the LFX.
Old 08-17-2023, 05:35 PM   #5
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
I wouldn't replace a thing until I got a good quality code reader on it not one that only reads big common codes.
You will likely find some good hints on where to look. That message comes up with all kinds of different problems not quite what the message would lead you to believe.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 05:56 PM   #6
redcoats1976

perhaps i should go with "wait and see"then.might need a real mechanic.im guessing the coe reader at discounr auto is not the one i would need.
Old 08-17-2023, 06:01 PM   #7
ajg85

Drives: 2023 Camaro SS
Cleaning throttle plate, actuator, etc in throttle body will help fix throttle position sensor after going through MAF reset procedure. That is what tripped it in my LLT that had a rough idle and whined about Stabiltrack needing service.

Errant TPMS and other sensors can also trip it but before you replace anything note that you don't actually need the ESC for much unless you drive poorly in low traction conditions.

Stabilitrack just automatically oversteers or understeers while reducing throttle if you are losing control of the car ... same thing you would do as a driver when fish tailing etc.
'02 Red Camaro Z28: "Chimero"
'01 Gold Camaro: "Goldie"
'98 Black Firebird: "Blackhawk"
Yes, I name cars, but they don't seem to mind.
ajg85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 06:03 PM   #8
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
There is a chance A Z free reading will work. As wait and see might also.
I ended up buying a reader that reads much more than I understand from different modules. It's already paid for itself finding a malfunctioning wheel position sensor in my magnetic suspension I didn't even know or have a dash code on.
It is a Foxwell with the full GM software. You're about a milion miles from me or I'd throw mine on it for you.
Make sure if you go to cleaning it is MAF SAFE ! or you'll make things worse...
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 06:11 PM   #9
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
hadnt driven my 2 LT in about a week,so i was easy on the gas for the first mile.came to a traffic light and looked down,stabilitrac and a wrench were showing.car was idling just a hair rough.i got on it it hard leaving the stoplight and everything has been fine since.possibly new plugs soon?(85k on original plugs so theyre 8 years old)
My Camaro did that once when I had a hard time with a hot start, car did the same thing idle wise, and the wrench and stabilitrac light. After I got her started and re parked and sat for a bit it was all gone. You could have had a voltage drop from the battery sitting. I'd just keep an eye on it.
Old 08-17-2023, 06:16 PM   #10
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Here is a little info. Not sure if it will help or not. Hopefully you can get some byte data.
Attached Images

2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 06:20 PM   #11
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Yep, wait and see approach and if it returns get a good quality code reader for proper troubleshooting. Just for information purposes the spark plugs for our LFX engines are below the coil packs accessed through the valve covers kinda like the old Mopar Hemis.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2023, 06:40 PM   #12
ajg85

Drives: 2023 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
Make sure if you go to cleaning it is MAF SAFE ! or you'll make things worse...

Right, read the label on the can of throttle body cleaner! Also always verify before doing anything. It is easy to check. Just disconnect the cold air intake and shine flash light to see if there is any dark gunk on or around throttle plate. I only cleaned it BECAUSE when I was looking for the possible problem the throttle body was filthy so it made sense to address the obvious problem first! Never had the rough idle or the service wrench icon in dash again but this may not be your problem as there are dozens of sensors that can trip StabiliTrak!

P.S. if you do need to clean it then completely disconnect and remove it and do it somewhere outside your garage in the open because TB cleaner smells like Satan's farts. Also gives zero chances of accidentally spraying any connectors, electronics, or other components that way as a bonus. Use torque wrench to reinstall as it's far too easy to strip or crack things on intake ...
'02 Red Camaro Z28: "Chimero"
'01 Gold Camaro: "Goldie"
'98 Black Firebird: "Blackhawk"
Yes, I name cars, but they don't seem to mind.

Last edited by ajg85; 08-17-2023 at 07:03 PM.
ajg85 is offline   Reply With Quote