Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-18-2016, 02:27 PM   #15
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
I dated a girl who bought an 11SS and couldn't afford it due to military pay. Sell it and get something affordable. It sucks but stop trying to have something you can't quite afford and wait until you can afterwards.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #16
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Good luck in the Army. Thank you for your service.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:44 PM   #17
jcampos

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
I don't know if it is me or what but for someone to give up a 60K job to join the military is seriously got some screws loose... I mean it could take nearly 2 decades to get to the pay grade of 60K in the military. To each their own...

Don't get me wrong I love the military I come from a family of military brats but to justify leaving a 60K so you can be yelled at and told what to do and when to do it is ridiculous. OP, thank you for your commitment to this country but like my great grandfather, grandfather, father, and uncles say "in the military you're just a number". Best of luck to you!
jcampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:57 PM   #18
DCMSBS

Drives: 2012 V6, but it's cool to me
I agree with all the advice about refinancing and looking into lower insurance. Although some on here have had poor experience with USAA, I've had nothing but good. Keep in mind that auto insurance rates are partially based on location (zip code of your home). I've experienced rates in S. FL and Washington, DC (two of the highest in the country) as well as IA and CT. When you move the car to your first duty station the raes may be half of what you're paying now. Another point to consider, although I may be wrong...your rates may be very low if you live on and garage the car on base.

Also, you might look into Navy Federal Credit Union. Their membership is open to recruits as well as Delayed Entry Program (DEP) of any branch of DoD and Coast Guard. You can join and apply for an auto loan with them with auto debit and have your pay directly deposited there.
DCMSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:30 PM   #19
chiefsb30

Drives: 2011 SS/RS Convertible
I spent a number of years on active duty, and its exceptionally common believe it or not for lower enlisted guys to have nice cars. Some people have a lot of not nice things to say about that, but its true. My suggestion would be to refinance and see if you can hold onto it.

The other barriers you may not be thinking about here is where you could end up. This one is harder to get around. If you end up some place where the car cannot go with you (for lower enlisted, IIRC, Korea is an example) I was stationed in Alaska, and it was not exactly practical to have that sort of car there IMO. If you are single, you also either may have to rent a garage if you care that your car is outside. Single guys in the barracks dont get garages. They just have lots you leave your car in.

To the guy asking why someone would give up a 60k job to go military, there are some things that some hold dear more than money. I was a recruiter for a minute and it was not uncommon to hear this sort of story. That and, while it seems low, like others say, things like your food being free, rent and utilities being free, health insurance being free, and it adds up to be more than it sounds like.
chiefsb30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #20
richard grimsley
GRIM

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Brother, I am currently AC, with 15 years. From a PSG/PL( acting) perspective, keeping your ride is a option. Like previously stated, as a newly enlisted, it will not be easy to save money and pay it off, but this task / goal is obtainable. Until you pay it off you will, need to graze living by SERE standard. Until you go up in Rank/grade, income sucks; but, with all of the benefits overall you'll come out on top! It's what you make of it! If you look like a soldier, act like a soldier, you'll be considered a soldier. Remember to train as you fight, "train to bleed & bleed to train edeavor the Suck!

As in your choice to enlist, welcome aboard Brother! Speaking for my self, this is the best job I have ever had! In the beginning the pay was nothing in comparison to my civilian jobs, but I was doing things that COB's (civilian on the battlefield) would only dream of. Conducting ABN OPS... Turning 90° in the Paratroop door, exciting vigorously into the breeze, snapping to good modified position of attention applying the first point of performance while awaiting for that main canopy to successfully deploy 800ft AGL, Air Assault operations, Airfield seizures, & just building a family ....a bond... A Fk'n brotherhood in combat environment is incontestable to anything! Esprit de corps!

Overall, you can do it! Remain dedicated and committed, stay vigilant!

V/R
AATW.... RLTW!
richard grimsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:24 PM   #21
Bobbyrage14SS

Drives: 2014 2SS, Summitt White
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek1387 View Post
Thank you for serving!

Now...I would be checking on your insurance for sure...$350/mo is insanely high. Like...liter bike for an 18yr old high. You should be able to find something a little less pricey!

I hope you figure it out, good luck, and stay safe!
Time to check out USAA for insurance. Ive had them since 2000. I joined the Marines in 99.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:51 PM   #22
Hilflos

Drives: 2015 1SS / RS NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Sales View Post
You'd be surprised how much you don't spend while in basic/AIT. Make a budget and stick to it. No need to pay for food, mess hall food isn't horrible and you don't have to pay for housing. Keep it simple till you are used to the pay cut. Autopay is great while you are in. Get that set up ASAP, it will save you the stress of having to do it while your focusing on training. Just my .02.

Be safe and remember to not lock your knees!! Thanks for your commitment to this country

Kayla L.
I was jumping in to say this exact thing, I spent basically nothing through basic and AIT. Depending on your MoS, didn't see you mention it, apologies if I missed it, AIT can be pretty lengthy. For grunts like me (11B), not so much, but for truly specialized MoS's... from what I understand, some of the communications specializations go for over a year.
Hilflos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:56 PM   #23
jcampos

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefsb30 View Post
I spent a number of years on active duty, and its exceptionally common believe it or not for lower enlisted guys to have nice cars. Some people have a lot of not nice things to say about that, but its true. My suggestion would be to refinance and see if you can hold onto it.

The other barriers you may not be thinking about here is where you could end up. This one is harder to get around. If you end up some place where the car cannot go with you (for lower enlisted, IIRC, Korea is an example) I was stationed in Alaska, and it was not exactly practical to have that sort of car there IMO. If you are single, you also either may have to rent a garage if you care that your car is outside. Single guys in the barracks dont get garages. They just have lots you leave your car in.

To the guy asking why someone would give up a 60k job to go military, there are some things that some hold dear more than money. I was a recruiter for a minute and it was not uncommon to hear this sort of story. That and, while it seems low, like others say, things like your food being free, rent and utilities being free, health insurance being free, and it adds up to be more than it sounds like.
Sorry, wasn't trying to offend anyone.

However, I think the majority of US citizens would have to agree that more money does in fact make you or I happier. Have you ever met someone with financial difficulties whom was just so ecstatic and filled with joy? Because I haven't...

Cheers!
jcampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:12 PM   #24
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
One word of warning: I entered basic at age 22. The other newbs called me "Methuselah," because I was so freakin' old. I'd seen lots of military movies, and thought that I was joining an army of men... but, basic is made up almost entirely of kids, fresh out of high school and Mom's house, never having lived on their own, had jobs, etc. I had... this made it difficult for me. Having BEEN independent, free, and able to make all of my own decisions made basic difficult. I eventually adjusted, but it was not so easy. Prepare yourself to be told (often by those much younger than you) when you will or will not do every single thing you can imagine, and exactly how you will do it... but rarely why. Just do it. And don't plan on meeting any other old farts like yourself in basic, Methuselah... you are going to be the father figure to a bunch of kiddos!
Good points. I was TWENTY SIX when I went in and the age difference took some getting used to. I was made a Platoon Guide right away in basic and holy crap... all the punk-ass kids who could barely wipe their asses without instruction. Best part was, I ran their little asses into the dirt repeatedly. Worst part was during a couple of days of in-processing, taking orders from a 19 year old Corporal (wanna-be Drill Sargent), without decking him. But I managed and my enlistment was a GREAT experience overall.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:15 PM   #25
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
I have USAA and my insurance is ~$150. Just turned 20...
Old 02-18-2016, 05:19 PM   #26
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefsb30 View Post
To the guy asking why someone would give up a 60k job to go military, there are some things that some hold dear more than money.
I am one who said that and I totally agree. But my point was that OP should have paid off his car BEFORE quitting that job. If you go into the military as a single guy with zero debt you can save your money big time, given that you basically have no living expenses. I would never put making money over serving your country. Never.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:27 PM   #27
IWANTA(ss)

Drives: 13 1LE 1SS/05 ZX10/02 Silverado/14
Don't leave the 60k is the real answer.
14 Nightrod Special
IWANTA(ss) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:44 PM   #28
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
The army is a lot more restrictive on recruit requirements, don't give up your job until you've signed on the dotted line..over 60% of the youth population is ineligible..good luck and welcome