Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-15-2020, 12:16 PM   #6749
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Given some time, some lightweight rims and tires, and other simple weight mods, good conditions and driver (don't even think you will need a Z51), there will be 10s. For the base, which is what I would get, sooner or later I'd buy and then ceramic coat the factory headers, probably look at widening the cat converters too (same as what I did on my Camaro).
What does ceramic coat do for the headers? Heat management?
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:24 PM   #6750
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
I don't think it's disappointing at all. The old dude clearly needs a lot more seat time. Stangmode has a LOT of mods.

I think if you put some tt's and a couple other mods on the C8, it will hit low 9's easy. Fathouse is advertising a tt setup for the 350...for $38k+...and the 'stang fanbois are eating it up. Although hardly any of them will purchase this setup...because so many of them keep 'em as garage queens. Their prerogative.

For another $25k FW will sleeve the cylinders, replace the pistons, rods, etc. Then for another $20-30k they'll get into the suspension, wheels, etc. Hell, with the purchase price, ADM, and $75k-$100k to FH, you're approaching $200k...and these 'stangs break all the time.

The 'stang is what it is, but I would like to know how many Coyotes have been replaced. We'll never know, because the boards and Fomoco will not reveal how many blown (it's well-established Coyotes do not take blowers well) underlubed or otherwise heavily modded Coyotes they've replaced.

Excuse the rant. Put an experienced driver in the C8 against an unmodded 'stang, and it's a much closer race. That's all I'm saying.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:26 PM   #6751
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I thought that's a well established fact Martin. Maybe not "heat management" in the broad sense, but it keeps a measurable amount of header heat from dissipating into the engine bay.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:48 PM   #6752
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Here is an example of a "free mod". The stock cat is 1.8 ID, it is crushed down to about 1.6 ID just before the O2 and has a boss that supports an 02 sensor that sticks into the flow to boot. When I'm done it will be 2.0 ID, the boss will be milled smooth, the 02 will be spaced outward for minimal protrusion and the front entrance which has abrupt transitions of 1.8 ID will all be tapered and smoothed. Once welded back together (just like the LS1 twin-wall exhaust manifolds), it will look stock to all but the most diehard fans. HP? dunno near enough to CA front cat deletes.
So from me to anybody that claims how fast "stock" cars are, really don't know what they are talking about.

Here is a link to the Callaway "high flow Cold Air Intake", there are more comments below but since I don't have a LT4, I don't know what pivoting the MAF is all about. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541269

So there you go, LT1 two free mods that can add up dunno say up 10 HP, probably more on an LT4. Any good brokanic could do it in a day. Heck I would not be surprised to find that add in boost bleed to the MAP, ported supercharger etc on the GT500, if you got bucks a shop could do so much stuff in a week, including porting the heads, cams, ported supercharger TB, off-road pipe, modified air induction, E85, bigger / smaller pulley (or (just mill up another one) off another OEM application... the list of tweaks is endless.

Stock mods:
ported cats or just cut them all off and replace with straight pipe: 6 to 8 HP on LT1
Cut box, green filter, maybe the pivot that EDFHobbies is talking about, remove the front air baffle: 6+ HP while moving
E85 25 HP with tune
ported heads 30 HP maybe even more if you toss in milling for 12.3 CR
small cam 30 HP
What are we at now? closing in on a 100 HP on a completely stock looking and stock sounding, "stock" engine... before the 416 stroker....

that is on a LT1 (which I have), I assume the LT4 is even MORE insane "stock" and the GT500 / LT5 is even MORE insane "stock".
Attached Images

Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 03-15-2020 at 01:23 PM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:50 PM   #6753
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Makes them pretty.... especially if I have to cut them to grind away all the factory flash. There will be some heat control, but I'm really on the fence to how much a coating actually adds to heat transfer especially if we are talking about a car that is moving more than 20 MPH... I would be my significant minority opinion that the more heat the header dissipates in a closed exhaust system (street), the better. Given the caveat that the heat can be removed from the engine compartment, heck I contend the header would even make more HP (closed street exhaust) if there were heat sinks welded 360 degrees down the pipe.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:52 PM   #6754
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
Anyone see Stangmodes video where he runs his "stock" gt500 vs some old guy racing his c8 for the first time?. Gt500 10.7 c8 11.5. Pretty disappointing that that c8 onpy ran mid 11s but you could tell the old guy was not experienced, car was spinning and not leaving hard as well as not being able to do a burnout, also not sure if it wse a z51, but Stangmode sure ran with it calling the c8 a mid 11 second car and about as fast as an 18 mustang gt lol.

The trap speed on the c8 kind of sucked at like 120mph or so. I was hoping to see low 120s and high 10s et.
I did not watch his video but give it some time and that number will improve, not anywhere near a DR 10.7 GT500 time but 11.5 on a bone stock car is a good start. My friend was there and learned that the c8 had 44lbs of air in the run flats and they didn't air them down...along with a poor burn out. Not sure why they did that and expect good results
Old 03-15-2020, 09:25 PM   #6755
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Anyone see Stangmodes video where he runs his "stock" gt500 vs some old guy racing his c8 for the first time?. Gt500 10.7 c8 11.5. Pretty disappointing that that c8 onpy ran mid 11s but you could tell the old guy was not experienced, car was spinning and not leaving hard as well as not being able to do a burnout, also not sure if it wse a z51, but Stangmode sure ran with it calling the c8 a mid 11 second car and about as fast as an 18 mustang gt lol.

The trap speed on the c8 kind of sucked at like 120mph or so. I was hoping to see low 120s and high 10s et.
Yeah pretty pathetic showcasing for the C8 this week on YouTube at the strip. As bad as this one was, the one where the guy broke his half shaft takes the cake do far.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:15 PM   #6756
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:

The guy in that video definitely did not know what he was doing lol.
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:16 PM   #6757
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Everybody right now is trying to make a "first one to" type video and it is getting ridiculous.

Last edited by BlaqWhole; 03-16-2020 at 05:34 AM.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:43 AM   #6758
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
It makes the car look bad. These guys out here doing massive burnouts and getting CELs, spraying it on just the second pass without a tune and snapping axles (probably caused some engine damage too), and who knows what else. Some of these guys got the entire car apart already. And then when something breaks we gotta hear people saying stuff like "I hope they all don't break like that". Well if the owner isn't a complete mental case and doesn't beat the absolute crap outta the car in the first 100 miles trying to get YT famous then then won't all break like that.

I hope GM and other manufacturers are taking notice of this nonsense. I hope they start finding ways to ensure that these guys are not the first to get cars in the future. Some of us just want to get our C8s and enjoy it and follow proper break in procedure and then maybe take it to the track once in a while and not sit on the dealership lot doing burnouts and driving like a maniac. Half of these guys probably aren't even Chevy Enthusiasts. They're just a bunch of knuckleheads with money and a bunch of followers. And when they're done beating the crap out of a new C8 for no reason they'll ditch it for the next best thing. But these guys seem to always get cars before anyone else. Maybe I should start behaving like that so I can get my cars faster.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:37 AM   #6759
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
It makes the car look bad. These guys out here doing massive burnouts and getting CELs, spraying it on just the second pass without a tune and snapping axles (probably caused some engine damage too), and who knows what else. Some of these guys got the entire car apart already. And then when something breaks we gotta hear people saying stuff like "I hope they all don't break like that". Well if the owner isn't a complete mental case and doesn't beat the absolute crap outta the car in the first 100 miles trying to get YT famous then then won't all break like that.

I hope GM and other manufacturers are taking notice of this nonsense. I hope they start finding ways to ensure that these guys are not the first to get cars in the future. Some of us just want to get our C8s and enjoy it and follow proper break in procedure and then maybe take it to the track once in a while and not sit on the dealership lot doing burnouts and driving like a maniac. Half of these guys probably aren't even Chevy Enthusiasts. They're just a bunch of knuckleheads with money and a bunch of followers. And when they're done beating the crap out of a new C8 for no reason they'll ditch it for the next best thing. But these guys seem to always get cars before anyone else. Maybe I should start behaving like that so I can get my cars faster.
I agree. Way too many immature YouTubers and viewers who love this kind of thing.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:04 AM   #6760
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:

But but I thought all C8s were going to be low 11 second cars because that's what the magazines got! It's almost like there is a learning curve or something lol - for those that can't detect sarcasm or humor that was pure point of this.

There will be plenty of low 11 C8s, and probably high 10s. I still think that these DCT equipped cars are going to have a bit more of a learning curve to them then some people on the outside are anticipating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post

Yep everyone wants to be first. I remember someone here saying they didn't expect people to treat the C8 like the morons with the GT500 did but everyone wants to be first to do this or that.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:24 AM   #6761
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
But but I thought all C8s were going to be low 11 second cars because that's what the magazines got! It's almost like there is a learning curve or something lol - for those that can't detect sarcasm or humor that was pure point of this.

There will be plenty of low 11 C8s, and probably high 10s. I still think that these DCT equipped cars are going to have a bit more of a learning curve to them then some people on the outside are anticipating.

Yep everyone wants to be first. I remember someone here saying they didn't expect people to treat the C8 like the morons with the GT500 did but everyone wants to be first to do this or that.
The "learning curve" is this:

Complete the entire break-in procedure or torque will continue to be limited in 1st and 2nd gear until you do - that means you shouldn't be racing until the RPM redline updates on the gauges.

Read the owner's manual. "Learn" to enable launch control in Race/Track mode and use it - leave it in D.

These early passes are clearly with owners too excited to just make a pass, then actually figure out how to enable the car's features that allow it to run it's optimal time.

I call it "learning" because it isn't learning throttle inputs, RPM at launch, or any actual driver skill. It's learning the cars built in features that allows you to enable launch control, keep the accelerator at WOT, and allow the computer to run the best time possible that you can't replicate with TC off, and shifting with the paddles.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 12:14 PM   #6762
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
I'm confused about the driver of the C8 in Stangmode's video. Yes he seems very inexperienced, but they reference the car as ECS's (East Coast Supercharging). If that guy is the owner or works there, you would think that he is an experienced drag racer.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote