Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-22-2020, 08:27 PM   #6651
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
I was going to reference that wheel hop clearly isn't eliminated. It's one of the first things people try to address and there are many posts on it on this forum. Unequal length and diameter half shafts aren't exactly new technology.

Google wheel hop though, the first hit is Wheel Hop: The Dreaded Mustang Suspension Issue

GM's engineering is superior to Ford's, but saying these cars don't have wheel hop is like saying the environmental conditions don't affect the car. Catchmydrift?
Yes... and while not totally eliminated in c7s or 6th gens, that thread and Treedyou's car I believe was a 5th gen which were worse about wheel hop imo and had generally crappier rear ends.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:29 PM   #6652
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Nope Blaq has the biggest mouth so he's right. The sad thing is he has his own fanboys in this thread now it seems.

Deflect and ignore before people catch on that you don't know what you are talking about. Not the first or twelfth time you've used this tactic...
I don't think I was replying to Blaq there but lol still.. I have no problem with Blaq but I don't think he would deny being opinionated and passionate lol.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:33 PM   #6653
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreedYou View Post
eLSD is pretty sweet, but I can't agree with just the shafts eliminating wheel hop.

I had wheel hop on my SS until I upgraded a few parts.

I've seen many Camaro's and Corvettes experience wheel hop at the track along with the new Mustangs with IRS.

Good thread on here about it..

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316648
Definately don't eliminate it, but alleviate it... made a huge difference on my gto
Old 01-22-2020, 10:03 PM   #6654
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
GM's engineering is superior to Ford's, but saying these cars don't have wheel hop is like saying the environmental conditions don't affect the car. Catchmydrift?
This comment is a bit contradictory. Nobody has said that environmental conditions do not affect a car. What was said was that conditions such as terrible DA and road/surface conditions affect Mustangs more than Camaros. Especially this Gen. The early C7 Z06s had overheating issues when pushed for extended periods on a track in extreme heat. GM built the 6th Gen ZL1 with this in mind and gave it extra cooling capacity so that it would not overheat. Here is a quote:

"Here's the part Chevrolet doesn't want me to say: In the Z06, the LT4 has cooling issues. The mighty Corvette's heart heat soaks or overheats. Remember those 11 heat exchangers I was talking about? The Camaro ZL1 will not overheat. I tried, but even after six sets of rear tires in four days—not joking—the thunderous V-8 never so much as simmered. Two of those 11 heat exchangers are actually the intercoolers that straddle the supercharger. They are redesigned and repositioned for ZL1 duty. It's also important to note that the ZL1 version of the LT4 makes exactly as much power and torque as the Z06. In generations past, the Corvette would have to (officially at least) make the most power. These days, Camaro is free to be as strong as can be."

And here is another one:

"That the ZL1 packages 11 heat exchangers into its powertrain shouldn’t surprise you. Six hundred and fifty, after all, are a lot of ponies to chill. Of the 11, seven are air-to-liquid coolers and four are liquid-to-liquid. There’s an air-conditioning condenser packed in there as well because drivers need cooling, too. Chevy engineers came up with a novel solution for keeping the ZL1’s active differential from cooking its lube. Cooled transmission oil is routed to a heat exchanger inside the differential housing where it extracts heat from the differential oil. An auxiliary transmission cooler is packaged horizontally and sits under a wind-*tunnel-designed cover that protects it from road debris and increases flow through its core. Cool."

It should be clear to even a simpleton that if a car is built correctly then it won't suffer as bad as other cars when thrown in the same conditions. Like I said, I've raced friends who had cars that went into limp mode on hot Summer days while my Camaro ran consistently the entire day. Which is why I do not understand why you're having this much trouble with this info. The PP2 when tested with the SLE overheated and went into limp mode after the first lap. The SLE didn't. And now the GT500 lost a full second by lap 3 while the GT3 didn't.

Anyway, I doubt even now that you will acknowledge that you are wrong. But when evidence is in front of you showing you one car that has a history of being severely affected by environmental conditions then maybe you should STFB and try to understand why that is. It might be the very same engineering that you mentioned. I mean, it's kinda amazing how a well engineered car can beat cars that are much more powerful and much more expensive but less developed.

Here is some homework for you.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...e-squad-goals/

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...t-ride-review/
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:16 AM   #6655
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post

What's the fastest you've gotten your car up to?
On a track? Local track is pretty short without much in the way of straights, so tend to top out at 100-105mph depending on my corner exit before I have to start braking. That'll change this year as I have a day up at BIR, and at least one weekend planned for Road America.

So where's this 180mph road course?
Old 01-23-2020, 08:52 AM   #6656
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laststandard View Post
On a track? Local track is pretty short without much in the way of straights, so tend to top out at 100-105mph depending on my corner exit before I have to start braking. That'll change this year as I have a day up at BIR, and at least one weekend planned for Road America.

I haven't been to BIR yet (also hoping to this summer), but I've been told they have a 150MPH straight/sweeper combo.

I've been on RA twice, but both times were on a motorcycle and it was a kind of strange limited event. I'm very curious what the ZLE will be doing at the end of the long finish line straightaway.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:16 AM   #6657
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
This just in....

Chevrolet needs to reduce 2020 Corvette production by roughly 20% because of the working days it lost while the factory was closed due to the UAW strike, and to offset the time it spent tracking down internal issues with the car. Production of the 2021 model is scheduled to begin Sept. 1, and pushing that date back to manufacture more 2020s isn't an option.

Davenport pointed out the situation isn't as dire as it might sound. Chevrolet dealerships can earn extra allocations, and enthusiasts who ordered their Corvette from bigger stores across the nation have nothing to worry about, especially if they've given the sales department their full name and their email address. The stores who won't get all of their 2020 orders fulfilled are primarily the ones charging well over MSRP, or those trying to build up an inventory of unsold Corvettes. Chevrolet is prioritizing sold orders placed by individuals.

If you're waiting for a C8 Corvette, contact the dealer you bought it from to make sure it's on its way. "It's very important that you communicate with your dealer so you get your order in," Davenport summed up. Chevrolet will roll the 2020 orders it can't fill over to the 2021 model year; Corvette Forum pointed out the same thing happened when the seventh-generation car went on sale for the 2014 model year. The Corvette is widely expected to cost more in 2021, but executives might delay the increase until the plant fills every order placed for a 2020 model.

Chevrolet remains on track to begin producing the eighth-generation Corvette in Bowling Green, Kentucky, on February 3, though Davenport learned the first car might roll off the assembly line a few days earlier.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:19 AM   #6658
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I haven't been to BIR yet (also hoping to this summer), but I've been told they have a 150MPH straight/sweeper combo.

I've been on RA twice, but both times were on a motorcycle and it was a kind of strange limited event. I'm very curious what the ZLE will be doing at the end of the long finish line straightaway.
BIR turn 1 on the full course. There's only a few days they run the full course, most times it's the shorter 2.5 mile competition course that doesn't include the front straight. I'm planning on May 4th, they'll be running both courses that day.

RA is a bucket list course for me, luckily it's relatively close. From the videos I've watched, ZLE's seem to hit around 155mph on the straight.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:50 AM   #6659
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
BIR turn 1 on the full course. There's only a few days they run the full course, most times it's the shorter 2.5 mile competition course that doesn't include the front straight. I'm planning on May 4th, they'll be running both courses that day.

RA is a bucket list course for me, luckily it's relatively close. From the videos I've watched, ZLE's seem to hit around 155mph on the straight.
Agreed on RA, even though I've been on it, it wasn't enough.

I know they have two courses and I wasn't sure if both configurations included the drag strip straight. Thanks for the clarification and info.

Edit: Laguna Seca is my top bucket list track to get to.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:55 AM   #6660
RobbyBeefcake87

A little off topic but did anyone hear about the copycat camaro e/28 concept set to battle the mach e?
Old 01-23-2020, 09:55 AM   #6661
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:

Is that so? Because an engineer just fully explained what I have been trying to tell you now for several pages. And this is your reply. Haha. Maybe you should humble yourself. Because there are clearly more intelligent people trying to educate you on something. You are a very ill informed person. I doubt you have any of the track experience you claim to have. And I doubt you have a Camaro SS if you even have a modern performance car at all. You've done nothing but tried to argue against the most obvious shortcomings of the GT500 even when they have been shown to be very inconsistent. The amount of argument you put up about that car tells me that you are a Mustang guy. Because just like them, you're arguing and trying to defend a car that is well beyond your means and that you'll never have the chance to own. Basically, nothing I say about that car should affect you at all especially since you claim to have a 16 SS that you race. You are laughable at best.

For the record, I am right because I am right. Sure I have a big mouth. But that does not make me any less right. You have a big mouth and so far you've been wrong at just about everything you say. You and your pal TY.

My 10 2SS/RS with M6 trans had much less wheel hop than my S550 GT M6 did. In fact I never noticed any wheel hop in my 5th Gen. My GT, all the GTs I owned, suffered. Not just that but the stability and control my SS had was much better. I remember feeling like I was much more planted in my SS. The S550 to me is a horrible chassis and prone to many shortcomings.
You deserve the freaking ban hammer! I am an engineer and have forgotten more than you will ever know about cars, science, and physics. You act like I have never read the articles you post, once again i know WAAAAAYYYY more than you! As I said unequal length half shafts are not even close to new technology so he didn't explain shit to me, but apparently you didn't know that fact so he did educate YOU! If you would put down the bottle and leave the forum that only talks about stuff and doesn't have anything to show for it, maybe you would see actual videos of how fast people are on actual (not fictional) tracks and what cars they drive. I don't know if you are smart enough to find another section of this online forum though?

Quote:
This comment is a bit contradictory. Nobody has said that environmental conditions do not affect a car. What was said was that conditions such as terrible DA and road/surface conditions affect Mustangs more than Camaros. Especially this Gen. The early C7 Z06s had overheating issues when pushed for extended periods on a track in extreme heat. GM built the 6th Gen ZL1 with this in mind and gave it extra cooling capacity so that it would not overheat. Here is a quote:

"Here's the part Chevrolet doesn't want me to say: In the Z06, the LT4 has cooling issues. The mighty Corvette's heart heat soaks or overheats. Remember those 11 heat exchangers I was talking about? The Camaro ZL1 will not overheat. I tried, but even after six sets of rear tires in four days—not joking—the thunderous V-8 never so much as simmered. Two of those 11 heat exchangers are actually the intercoolers that straddle the supercharger. They are redesigned and repositioned for ZL1 duty. It's also important to note that the ZL1 version of the LT4 makes exactly as much power and torque as the Z06. In generations past, the Corvette would have to (officially at least) make the most power. These days, Camaro is free to be as strong as can be."

And here is another one:

"That the ZL1 packages 11 heat exchangers into its powertrain shouldn’t surprise you. Six hundred and fifty, after all, are a lot of ponies to chill. Of the 11, seven are air-to-liquid coolers and four are liquid-to-liquid. There’s an air-conditioning condenser packed in there as well because drivers need cooling, too. Chevy engineers came up with a novel solution for keeping the ZL1’s active differential from cooking its lube. Cooled transmission oil is routed to a heat exchanger inside the differential housing where it extracts heat from the differential oil. An auxiliary transmission cooler is packaged horizontally and sits under a wind-*tunnel-designed cover that protects it from road debris and increases flow through its core. Cool."

It should be clear to even a simpleton that if a car is built correctly then it won't suffer as bad as other cars when thrown in the same conditions. Like I said, I've raced friends who had cars that went into limp mode on hot Summer days while my Camaro ran consistently the entire day. Which is why I do not understand why you're having this much trouble with this info. The PP2 when tested with the SLE overheated and went into limp mode after the first lap. The SLE didn't. And now the GT500 lost a full second by lap 3 while the GT3 didn't.

Anyway, I doubt even now that you will acknowledge that you are wrong. But when evidence is in front of you showing you one car that has a history of being severely affected by environmental conditions then maybe you should STFB and try to understand why that is. It might be the very same engineering that you mentioned. I mean, it's kinda amazing how a well engineered car can beat cars that are much more powerful and much more expensive but less developed.

Here is some homework for you.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...e-squad-goals/

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...t-ride-review/
It wasn't contradictory, you clearly didn't understand, just like you don't understand most things about performance cars and performance driving. You have said multiple times the conditions don't affect the car. Once again you are delusional.

Quote:
He doesn't know anything he just has big fat typing fingers.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:02 AM   #6662
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:

If you have to ask then I assure you it's nowhere you belong and nowhere you'd be welcome. Stick to what you do. Congrats on topping out at 105 MPH in your car. I'm sure that was a feat for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
This just in....

Chevrolet needs to reduce 2020 Corvette production by roughly 20% because of the working days it lost while the factory was closed due to the UAW strike, and to offset the time it spent tracking down internal issues with the car. Production of the 2021 model is scheduled to begin Sept. 1, and pushing that date back to manufacture more 2020s isn't an option.

Davenport pointed out the situation isn't as dire as it might sound. Chevrolet dealerships can earn extra allocations, and enthusiasts who ordered their Corvette from bigger stores across the nation have nothing to worry about, especially if they've given the sales department their full name and their email address. The stores who won't get all of their 2020 orders fulfilled are primarily the ones charging well over MSRP, or those trying to build up an inventory of unsold Corvettes. Chevrolet is prioritizing sold orders placed by individuals.

If you're waiting for a C8 Corvette, contact the dealer you bought it from to make sure it's on its way. "It's very important that you communicate with your dealer so you get your order in," Davenport summed up. Chevrolet will roll the 2020 orders it can't fill over to the 2021 model year; Corvette Forum pointed out the same thing happened when the seventh-generation car went on sale for the 2014 model year. The Corvette is widely expected to cost more in 2021, but executives might delay the increase until the plant fills every order placed for a 2020 model.

Chevrolet remains on track to begin producing the eighth-generation Corvette in Bowling Green, Kentucky, on February 3, though Davenport learned the first car might roll off the assembly line a few days earlier.
This is what my dealership told me more or less when I put my order in. Mine might be a 2021 but it might be a 2020. I am hoping that it is a 2020 because that was the whole point of me doing this. But either way I will not be disappointed. I am going to call them later today to see if they have any updates for me.

But I'm guessing the Mustang trolls want proof that I actually have a C8 on order...
Old 01-23-2020, 10:10 AM   #6663
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
You deserve the freaking ban hammer! I am an engineer and have forgotten more than you will ever know about cars, science, and physics. You act like I have never read the articles you post, once again i know WAAAAAYYYY more than you! As I said unequal length half shafts are not even close to new technology so he didn't explain shit to me, but apparently you didn't know that fact so he did educate YOU! If you would put down the bottle and leave the forum that only talks about stuff and doesn't have anything to show for it, maybe you would see actual videos of how fast people are on actual (not fictional) tracks and what cars they drive. I don't know if you are smart enough to find another section of this online forum though?

It wasn't contradictory, you clearly didn't understand, just like you don't understand most things about performance cars and performance driving. You have said multiple times the conditions don't affect the car. Once again you are delusional.

He doesn't know anything he just has big fat typing fingers.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:27 AM   #6664
joe944

Drives: 18' A10 ZL1 , 18' F150, 04' MSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Agreed on RA, even though I've been on it, it wasn't enough.

I know they have two courses and I wasn't sure if both configurations included the drag strip straight. Thanks for the clarification and info.

Edit: Laguna Seca is my top bucket list track to get to.
I live super close to Laguna, but haven't made it there yet.

Also no way my ZL1 passes sound with the awe catback, but I may get some pipes made to fix that.
joe944 is offline   Reply With Quote