Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-18-2016, 08:32 PM   #43
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Any difference in HP between the oiled and dry filter?

I've seen better results both ways depending on the vehicle. For example my Silverado made the most power with the stock paper filter. Also over oiling the filter can cause issues.

I'd rather stay with the dry filter if the hp difference is negligible.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:58 PM   #44
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
In my opinion, the difference is negligible. We have seen as high as a 2 HP difference between the 2, with oiled performing slightly better.

Michael
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:03 PM   #45
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
In my opinion, the difference is negligible. We have seen as high as a 2 HP difference between the 2, with oiled performing slightly better.

Michael
Roto-Fab 1, in your testing, I'm curious what you guys did to dial in the AFR for the car. Different tubing sizes and filter sizes to get more air in and raise the AFR (leaner)? Can you share where they started and where you ended up? I've been curious where the Camaro was tuned AFR wise from the factory. Doesn't look like they offer that PID through OBDII like some other OEMs.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:51 PM   #46
Roto-fab 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
Looks like a nice design. My Challenger only gained about 5RWHP and 7RWTQ with back to back dyno tests vs. the stock air box and filter. CAI was the Mopar offering. That was on the stock motor. If you guys pick up 12RWHP and 12RWTQ that's pretty good.

Supercharged, I gained about 30RWHP and 35RWTQ over the stock air box and filter, so you supercharged guys may want to see if this will fit.

Roto-Fab 1, in your testing, I'm curious what you guys did to dial in the AFR for the car. Different tubing sizes and filter sizes to get more air in and raise the AFR (leaner)? Can you share where they started and where you ended up? I've been curious where the Camaro was tuned AFR wise from the factory. Doesn't look like they offer that PID through OBDII like some other OEMs.
We do not divulge specific MAF changes and outcomes. We've learned a lot about the car and engine management system, and would like to keep the valuable information private. But I really appreciate your interest and inquiry.

We did, however, find it important that forum members have a general idea of why we expect gains considerably higher than 12 HP!

Thanks again,
Michael
Old 08-19-2016, 05:02 PM   #47
asimpleguy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
We do not divulge specific MAF changes and outcomes. We've learned a lot about the car and engine management system, and would like to keep the valuable information private. But I really appreciate your interest and inquiry.

We did, however, find it important that forum members have a general idea of why we expect gains considerably higher than 12 HP!

Thanks again,
Michael
So, I realize HP is important to everyone, but what about the torque? What numbers are you getting?
asimpleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:34 PM   #48
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:

Thanks again,
Michael
I'll divulge it once I get my hands on one. This hide the MAF data is a bunch of crap. There is nothing magical going on here. The MAF at a given RPM and load is either reporting the same as stock, less than stock, or more than stock. Two of these will impact AFR at WOT directly and potentially indirectly if the MAF is under reporting in closed loop.

CAI and Mishimoto played this game. It isn't going well for them.
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:04 PM   #49
R3DLT1
Toyota Tech

Drives: 2SS A8
My cai shipped out

Last edited by R3DLT1; 08-19-2016 at 06:34 PM.
R3DLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:09 PM   #50
Roto-fab 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3DLT1 View Post
My cai shipped out ��
We did ship today! If you PM me your full name, I will confirm that yours was sent out.

Thanks for your confidence in our CAI.

Michael
Old 08-19-2016, 06:56 PM   #51
1slowssm6

Drives: 2016 1ss m6 Camaro
wife told me today the rotofab looks the best,and she would buy it for my upcoming birthday,i told her to wait until gains were proven,if its 2hp like sledge showed,or hp/tq loss he showed from mishi,ill stay stock idc about looks i care about performance and $420 shipped is almost halfway to a nitrous kit,the rotofab does look the best though.
1slowssm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:02 PM   #52
Roto-fab 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slowssm6 View Post
wife told me today the rotofab looks the best,and she would buy it for my upcoming birthday,i told her to wait until gains were proven,if its 2hp like sledge showed,or hp/tq loss he showed from mishi,ill stay stock idc about looks i care about performance and $420 shipped is almost halfway to a nitrous kit,the rotofab does look the best though.
We are excited to see some 3rd party dyno validation as well!
Old 08-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #53
1slowssm6

Drives: 2016 1ss m6 Camaro
the fact that roto-fab took what 8 months of design? and has been so into their claims,i honestly believe we will see gains,where as in sledges thread,cai had excuses for the negligible gains,and mishi is yet to comment,roto is so confident your basically sticking your necks out saying,hey you WILL see this gain when sledge tests,if thats the case you guys got my money.
1slowssm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:24 PM   #54
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:

Thanks again,
Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSloper View Post
I'll divulge it once I get my hands on one. This hide the MAF data is a bunch of crap. There is nothing magical going on here. The MAF at a given RPM and load is either reporting the same as stock, less than stock, or more than stock. Two of these will impact AFR at WOT directly and potentially indirectly if the MAF is under reporting in closed loop.

CAI and Mishimoto played this game. It isn't going well for them.
Kinda why I asked I guess. The first person that knows what they're doing can data log and or put the car on a dyno and then the secret's out. I didn't think this was anything earth shattering.

Look forward to someone publishing some data. I do agree this CAI does look like it has potential, but I'm a skeptic.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:21 PM   #55
Roto-fab 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
Kinda why I asked I guess. The first person that knows what they're doing can data log and or put the car on a dyno and then the secret's out. I didn't think this was anything earth shattering.

Look forward to someone publishing some data. I do agree this CAI does look like it has potential, but I'm a skeptic.
I'm sorry for the confusion. when I said MAF changes, I should have correctly called them MAF sensor housing changes. As in design changes. I will have to talk to the owner of the company about releasing AFR and timing aspects of our log.

Sorry again for the misunderstanding,
Michael
Old 08-19-2016, 10:56 PM   #56
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Quote:
We did ship today!
Is this only if ordering through you or through other places like JDP as well?!?
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote