Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-18-2023, 04:32 PM   #15
JTS

Drives: 2023 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 TransAm that never was View Post
Please don't patronize us with your BS ads!

If you find that your trunk leaks, take your car to the dealer and demand that the dealership fix the problem.

Old 05-18-2023, 04:44 PM   #16
JimGnitecki

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maverick View Post
Thanks for the heads up about the TSB - here's the link for others interested in this issue:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...81677-9999.pdf
Note that the TSB says it applies to 2016 to 2019 models (only).

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 07:08 PM   #17
Palutz
Banned

Drives: 22 ZLE M6
Is this an issue from direct rain/car washes or can humidity actually be cause as well? I keep my car in my garage but it defiantly gets hot and humid down here by the Gulf. Never even thought that this could be an issue in the 6th gen Camaros and I'm hoping it's a rare flaw.
Palutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 08:50 PM   #18
JTS

Drives: 2023 ZL1 A10
Palutz , I'm sure you are fine with garage kept , but with the Gulf weather, and you get wet , check it daily with wet weather or a wash . My Z only gets wet with a shower at the self wash every other month , and I check it after the shower ,all dry back there . We have very low humidity here in Az. , So condensation isn't an issue here. And TSB only covering 16 to 19 models.
Happy Motoring
Old 05-18-2023, 10:34 PM   #19
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 a10
Govee makes some good stuff. I run a lot of their lighting related products in and on my home and they've all been great.
willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 10:08 AM   #20
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palutz View Post
Is this an issue from direct rain/car washes or can humidity actually be cause as well?
From the TSB and various reports here, it looks like this problem has multiple causes. Time is also a factor, because with a small leak it may take several exposures to rain for the water to get high enough to cause problems.
if your car sits outside in heavy rain or you get a lot of high pressure car washes, I would periodically check the trunk.

here's a link to the GM plug which seems pretty straightforward in design:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185418437758
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 08:06 PM   #21
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
Note that the TSB says it applies to 2016 to 2019 models (only).

Jim G
Could just correspond to the TSB being issued in 2020? From the description of the "corrections," I wouldn't discount the TSB from having some value for owners of later models...
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 04:32 PM   #22
Palutz
Banned

Drives: 22 ZLE M6
Appreciate the info JTS and ctrlz I'll definitely start to monitor this because this is my first summer by the Gulf and it's humid. My garage gets pretty hot as well here in Corpus, but I do not drive the car when it rains or take it through car washes.
Palutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 04:44 PM   #23
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
For those who worry about this, the GM plug seems like a pretty easy install. Get a 3" bi-metal hole saw with arbor from harbor freight (in a set probably), some RTV or other sealant, and the GM plug. The hole saw kit is the priciest bit.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 05:11 PM   #24
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
I have a dry trunk, never experienced this issue. That being said... I have the weather tech liner in the trunk of my car. It has a 1 - 1.5" lip on it. If the trunk lid leaked I'd assume it would just puddle in the weather tech liner? Maybe not... either way, have never seen any moisture in my trunk. Have seen a few threads about it though.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 05:07 PM   #25
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
I have a dry trunk, never experienced this issue. That being said... I have the weather tech liner in the trunk of my car. It has a 1 - 1.5" lip on it. If the trunk lid leaked I'd assume it would just puddle in the weather tech liner? Maybe not... either way, have never seen any moisture in my trunk. Have seen a few threads about it though.
Husky Liner here. It does seem like a trunk liner would be decent "insurance" for a dripping leak coming down through the trunk lid weatherstrip. However, the TSB indicates there are other potential routes of water incursion that a trunk liner wouldn't catch.
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 11:54 AM   #26
Danew_377
Chief Bief

Drives: Nightfall Gray Camaro 1SS
I recently had rain cause for my electronics to be shorted out and need warranty repair for it. Which they did but the issue wasn't fixed. I was told it was the spoiler that had been leaking water through the holes into my trunk. However this time, I checked after a good rain and the spoiler was dry.

what I found was my weatherstripping for the trunk had become full of water and eventually worked it's way through to run down the trunk in between the metal and the plastic piece that's held in place by those four screws. Only reason I figured it out was from bumping up against the weatherstripping and it shooting water out at me. Like a lot. I'm currently waiting to get new weatherstripping in the mail, though I'm not sure how difficult it's going to be or if adhesive is needed to keep it on the rail it's situated on.

Hope this helps others.

2016 NFG 1SS M6
JLT Intake, LT2 Manifold, LT5 TB, CSP 2" headers, AWE Catback Exhaust, Apex ARC-8 Wheels.
426whp/434wtq
Danew_377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 02:06 PM   #27
JimGnitecki

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danew_377 View Post
I recently had rain cause for my electronics to be shorted out and need warranty repair for it. Which they did but the issue wasn't fixed. I was told it was the spoiler that had been leaking water through the holes into my trunk. However this time, I checked after a good rain and the spoiler was dry.

what I found was my weatherstripping for the trunk had become full of water and eventually worked it's way through to run down the trunk in between the metal and the plastic piece that's held in place by those four screws. Only reason I figured it out was from bumping up against the weatherstripping and it shooting water out at me. Like a lot. I'm currently waiting to get new weatherstripping in the mail, though I'm not sure how difficult it's going to be or if adhesive is needed to keep it on the rail it's situated on.

Hope this helps others.
It IS disappointing that the weatherstripping actually retains moisture. But the root causes of that, along with many of the other reported leaks into the trunk and its electronics, appear to be;

1. The shape and orientation of the trunk lid tends to RETAIN water (from rain or washing). Most car trunk lids slope visibly to the rear. to readily shed water. The Camaro trunk lid does not.

2. The above problem is greatly accenuated by the spoiler, as it erects an actual BARRIER to water draining off the rear of the trunk lid.

3. The LONG rear window, and the rear part of the car roof, add their own rain or wash water contribution, and that contribution is HUGE because of their size compared to the miniscule trunk lid.

4. Since 1 through 3 above work against water draining directly off the trunk lid quickly or at all, the water has to go somewhere. That somewhere is into the "ditches" between the trunk lid and the other body panels. That is a HUGE amount of water flooding those ditches. And, its only exits are the small drain holes in the body panels at the rear corners of the trunklid under the turnklid. They have NOWHERE near the capacity to handle the flows they receive. And, I don't know if the water has a straight shot out of thise holes to the pavement, or if there is a follow-on labrynth for them to follow.

5. 1. through 4. above obviously create the potential for the weatherseals to become saturated, as water, with exterior dirt in it, WILL tend to fill the ditches that the weatherseals reside within, and in effect the combination of water, weatherseals, and dirt create the potential for a wet dirty "sponge" all around the trunk lid. This makes the "dams" already created even worse.

6. To add to the potential problems, Chevy put the car's key electronics, and its battery, in the trunk, where they can both be exposed to this excessive water, and for long periods of time since some people don't use their trunk as much as others.

7. To ENSURE disaster, GM placed the car's most key electronics at the absolute BOTTOM of the trunk, where all this water eventually ends up, and causes them to fry themselves.

8. GM DID add a small drainage hole at the front bottom of the trunk, BUT (a) it is small, and (b) it is covered by the trunk mat which impedes its usefulness by retsricting flow severely, so I would not call it a solution, but rather a puny bandaid unlikely to prevent electronic disasters.

Of course the extremely tiny trunk OPENING SIZE is another "trunk" problem, so overall I would grade the Camaro's trunk designer rather low in expertise and common sense.

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 09:22 AM   #28
Danew_377
Chief Bief

Drives: Nightfall Gray Camaro 1SS
You are absolutely right, and it's a terrible design. My car is a 2016 so I don't have that mitigation built into my car. I will now end up drilling a hole to get that water gone from it.

I didn't have any issues with the design until 2021 so it held up for five years being a car kept outside all the time. Just wish they didn't put the brains of the car in the caboose.

2016 NFG 1SS M6
JLT Intake, LT2 Manifold, LT5 TB, CSP 2" headers, AWE Catback Exhaust, Apex ARC-8 Wheels.
426whp/434wtq
Danew_377 is offline   Reply With Quote