Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-21-2023, 02:29 PM   #29
65ffr

Drives: '18 ram 1500
I just signed up for my first event as well, 6/7 at Harris Hill.

I'll be changing the brake fluid to Motul 600 prior. FWIW, the manual says to run a brake fluid with boiling point >310 for track use...the factory dot 4 is rated at 280.
Now I just need to get to 1500 miles before then!

1100 10/28/22
2000 12/6/22
3400 12/17/22
TPW 1/9/23
delivered 2/7/23
65ffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 05:37 PM   #30
1sickzl1

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6
Just wanted to update anyone who cares about my track day experience. I had 0 braking issues, and I braked really hard all day from the straight going around 135 mph to I think it was turn 1? Anyways, I loved Big Willow, it was a very fun experience and I can say I'm hooked. I took some GoPro footage so I can see what my mistakes were. My racing instructor told me I was a natural at it and I was faster every single time back on the track. It feels pretty damn good when you nail the apex, the transition is smooth. Needless to say, I'll be going again in about a month or so. Seat time is the only way to get better but in the meantime I'll be watching YouTube videos and reviewing my GoPro footage.
Thanks to everyone who chimed in with the tips and pointers.

What I did to prepare:
Oil change (Mobil1 Supercar 0W-40)
Differential fluid change (OEM fluid)
Brake fluid change to Motul RBF 600
Made sure brake pads / rotors were in good shape
Removed hood heat extractor (pop the hood -> 3 screws)
Removed everything out on the trunk (obviously)
Race number decals (TrackArmour)
Race Helmet (SNELL rated)

What I'll be doing next time in addition to the aforementioned:
GM track alignment
Race gloves
Lower tire pressure (I was at 34 psi)

RF intake, Soler TB & TC, ADM v2 reservoir, AWE Touring non-resonated catback exhaust.

535 whp, 537 tq. SAE Smoothing: 5. DynoJet.
No tune. 91 octane.
1sickzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 06:25 PM   #31
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickzl1 View Post
Just wanted to update anyone who cares about my track day experience. I had 0 braking issues, and I braked really hard all day from the straight going around 135 mph to I think it was turn 1? Anyways, I loved Big Willow, it was a very fun experience and I can say I'm hooked. I took some GoPro footage so I can see what my mistakes were. My racing instructor told me I was a natural at it and I was faster every single time back on the track. It feels pretty damn good when you nail the apex, the transition is smooth. Needless to say, I'll be going again in about a month or so. Seat time is the only way to get better but in the meantime I'll be watching YouTube videos and reviewing my GoPro footage.
Thanks to everyone who chimed in with the tips and pointers.

What I did to prepare:
Oil change (Mobil1 Supercar 0W-40)
Differential fluid change (OEM fluid)
Brake fluid change to Motul RBF 600
Made sure brake pads / rotors were in good shape
Removed hood heat extractor (pop the hood -> 3 screws)
Removed everything out on the trunk (obviously)
Race number decals (TrackArmour)
Race Helmet (SNELL rated)

What I'll be doing next time in addition to the aforementioned:
GM track alignment
Race gloves
Lower tire pressure (I was at 34 psi)
Glad you had a good time and were doing well. The Motul is a good fluid and shouldn't be giving you any issue. With that fluid, you need to change it when it gets dark or at least once a year. Might seem like a lot but its cheap to change yourself and cheap insurance to ensure you will have your brakes.

I would advise to not do the track alignment until you have more seat time and get a good feel for the car.

Which tires were you using? The stock Goodyears should be in the 32-35 range. So i think you're fine with that pressure but don't go any lower than 32.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 06:27 PM   #32
65ffr

Drives: '18 ram 1500
Sounds like you had a blast! Can't wait for mine coming up. Did you remove the air dam pieces?
Please share the videos when available!!

1100 10/28/22
2000 12/6/22
3400 12/17/22
TPW 1/9/23
delivered 2/7/23
65ffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 02:43 PM   #33
1sickzl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Glad you had a good time and were doing well. The Motul is a good fluid and shouldn't be giving you any issue. With that fluid, you need to change it when it gets dark or at least once a year. Might seem like a lot but its cheap to change yourself and cheap insurance to ensure you will have your brakes.

I would advise to not do the track alignment until you have more seat time and get a good feel for the car.

Which tires were you using? The stock Goodyears should be in the 32-35 range. So i think you're fine with that pressure but don't go any lower than 32.
Yes I am planning on swapping the brake fluid every year from now on. Why would you say not to change the to the track alignment? Wouldn't it be better if I practiced with the camber settings that are appropriate for the track? What's the downside here?

I was using the stock Goodyears, for some reason I've heard to go 28 psi cold for track use?

RF intake, Soler TB & TC, ADM v2 reservoir, AWE Touring non-resonated catback exhaust.

No tune. 91 octane.
Old 05-26-2023, 02:45 PM   #34
1sickzl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65ffr View Post
Sounds like you had a blast! Can't wait for mine coming up. Did you remove the air dam pieces?
Please share the videos when available!!
Yup removed those as stated above. I'll be sure to upload the footage once I get some free time this weekend. Crazy thing is while I was tracking the car it felt like I was driving really hard. Looking at the footage it doesn't look like it, it looks very calm. Has anyone else experienced this? lol

No tune. 91 octane.
Old 05-26-2023, 05:31 PM   #35
Vigilante375

Quote:
Yes I am planning on swapping the brake fluid every year from now on. Why would you say not to change the to the track alignment? Wouldn't it be better if I practiced with the camber settings that are appropriate for the track? What's the downside here?

I was using the stock Goodyears, for some reason I've heard to go 28 psi cold for track use?
In regards with the track camber, you need to get a feel for the car first in stock form then bump it up. I mean, do what you.

Do you drive this car daily or for fun? The other reason is that this will wear you tires down in not an even fashion since the camber will have the tire not flat with the road but at an angle.
Old 05-26-2023, 05:54 PM   #36
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Yup removed those as stated above. I'll be sure to upload the footage once I get some free time this weekend. Crazy thing is while I was tracking the car it felt like I was driving really hard. Looking at the footage it doesn't look like it, it looks very calm. Has anyone else experienced this? lol
Lol, yes video always makes it look much slower. When it looks crazy on video, you know it’s nuts.
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 07:25 PM   #37
1sickzl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
In regards with the track camber, you need to get a feel for the car first in stock form then bump it up. I mean, do what you.

Do you drive this car daily or for fun? The other reason is that this will wear you tires down in not an even fashion since the camber will have the tire not flat with the road but at an angle.
I daily the car but I think the whole camber eats your tires is a myth. If your toe is 0 you should be good to go.

I'm just asking bc I'm curious what's the harm in having the track alignment done? Isn't the whole point of the track to get to know your car once you push it's limits? And on the road to finding the limits you'll be getting a good feel for how it wants to behave.

No tune. 91 octane.
Old 05-26-2023, 07:26 PM   #38
1sickzl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfab View Post
Lol, yes video always makes it look much slower. When it looks crazy on video, you know it’s nuts.
Okay cool so it isn't just me
I was showing my friend the video and we both couldn't believe how slow it looked lol. He came with me to Willow Springs and said I coulda swore you were going faster than this

No tune. 91 octane.
Old 05-28-2023, 07:46 AM   #39
Vigilante375

Quote:
I daily the car but I think the whole camber eats your tires is a myth. If your toe is 0 you should be good to go.

I'm just asking bc I'm curious what's the harm in having the track alignment done? Isn't the whole point of the track to get to know your car once you push it's limits? And on the road to finding the limits you'll be getting a good feel for how it wants to behave.
The uneven wear in taking about is the camber since the toe isn't that aggressive in the track alignment.

You can do whatever you feel like doing. It's your car.

Going to the track is getting to know the track and your car. Which you should get to know it before you start changing anything outside of the factory spec.

You said the instructor said you were natural. Don't get cocky with them saying that. There are people who are natural good drivers but still have lots to learn. Just giving you advice and what you do with it is up to you.

Last edited by Vigilante375; 05-28-2023 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-28-2023, 10:24 PM   #40
dbs1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Get a set of dedicated track tires and wheels (supercar 3r’s) and THEN go show folks that nature boy stuff!!!
dbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote