Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-28-2020, 12:06 PM   #15
CRBWS6

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE SCCA FS, 99 WS-6, E46 M3
Since the flickr links are dead, here are some pics of mine in case anybody wants to see a similar situation.

I am also in the stock autocross class and am stuck fixing the bent cam bolt tab/fence which is welded to the front side of the subframe.
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2020, 09:25 AM   #16
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRBWS6 View Post
Since the flickr links are dead, here are some pics of mine in case anybody wants to see a similar situation.

I am also in the stock autocross class and am stuck fixing the bent cam bolt tab/fence which is welded to the front side of the subframe.
yep thats exactly it. yours look like they folded inward and the bolt is lover the top of the flap :(

you have to remove the bolt and try and pull that little flap back out. thats what the dealership did for me unless you can convince them to put a sub frame in it.
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:36 PM   #17
CRBWS6

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE SCCA FS, 99 WS-6, E46 M3
Following up with pics of the solution as well as my summary of this problem:

ISSUE: Alignment tech says they are unable to achieve REAR TOE IN (+). My car had excessive TOE OUT (-0.4deg on the bad side).

SYMPTOMS: Increased tire wear on inside edge. Also, if you track your car, you would notice that TOE OUT is not good for handling (oversteer inducing!)

PROBLEM: Bent steel “tab”, “flap”, “fence”, or whatever you want to call it, that holds the cam bolt head (front side of subframe) in position while the bolt/nut is being tightened during an alignment.

WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN: During the alignment, the tech probably will not notice the tab on the front side of the subframe. If the toe is not adjusting easily (e.g. the wheel may not rotate freely on it’s vertical axis due to an issue with the alignment rack sliding plate), the tech may keep torquing more and more on the alignment bolt/nut, not realizing that this is causing the tab to bend.

SOLUTION:
1. Remove toe bolt/nut
2. Bend tab back in place with a pry bar and hammer
3. Add weld material on the back side of the tab to strengthen the 90 deg bend which was weakened in step #2.
4. A touch of spray paint over the welded area.
5. Re-align the car.

TIP: Make your alignment shop aware of the tabs on the front side of the subframe.

Thanks to Apexit53 and h018871 for their input via PM's. And thanks to Performance Automotive in Mesa, AZ for working with me to fix the problem.
Attached Images