#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 01-05-2016, 10:21 AM   #1
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Still on the fence, MRC or not?

Still debating if an 1LE doesn't happen and I end up ordering an SS if I should get the MRC (and hope for lowering springs), or skip it, and use that money towards some nice aftermarket struts/shocks/springs or coilovers? My car will not be my daily driver, and will see drag strip and road course (plus autocross) time. I do not really care if the ride is able to be adjusted to soft, so that aspect of MRC doesn't apply to me...thoughts?
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:49 AM   #2
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Do not go with the MRC then. Wait and add better track suspension with lowering springs for auto cross. Although autocross and drag racing have two different suspension setups really. I went with MRC but it is a daily driver and I do care about a touring suspension most of the time. If you do not get MRC can you still change the steering wheel effort? The modes touring and track make huge differences in steering effort.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #3
citizennick

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
Still debating if an 1LE doesn't happen and I end up ordering an SS if I should get the MRC (and hope for lowering springs), or skip it, and use that money towards some nice aftermarket struts/shocks/springs or coilovers? My car will not be my daily driver, and will see drag strip and road course (plus autocross) time. I do not really care if the ride is able to be adjusted to soft, so that aspect of MRC doesn't apply to me...thoughts?
I track my car's often but opted for MRC. I live on some horrible roads that make me feel like my car with coilovers is rattling apart. I'd rather have it now even if I plan on changing it down the road than to not get it and wish I had.

2016 2SS M6 Black/Adrenaline Red
589rwhp 572rwtq 429 LT1
citizennick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #4
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
Do not go with the MRC then. Wait and add better track suspension with lowering springs for auto cross. Although autocross and drag racing have two different suspension setups really.
Very true, but you can get some components that kind of bridge the gap of both. Or get adjustable stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
If you do not get MRC can you still change the steering wheel effort? The modes touring and track make huge differences in steering effort.
Yes, it still has all that.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:27 PM   #5
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
I was at the find new roads event and I actually had a GM Engineer demo the MRC for me. They had an MRC shock hooked to a 2-3 foot long lever for the person to compress and feel the damping capabilities. He set it to tour and then to track so I could feel the difference. I weight about 185lbs and I lifted my feet off the ground trying to compress the shock. He told me how the gen 5 ZL1 system had only a single charging coil on the MRC struts and it had an issue with not being able to soften the damping as quick as it could increase it. The new setup has multiple coils which allows the ability to rapidly adjust to the road not just the mode settings. Thats more than enough for me to feel that it would provide excellent performance on the track! I love the thought of not needed to buy performance shocks if I want to get serious about handling.

All I want is a solid lowering setup to get the car down without effecting any of the MRC calibration. Hopefully this will be something that comes on the next handling package/1LE/Z##
Old 01-05-2016, 02:20 PM   #6
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
MRC reads and reacts to the road regardless of what you have selected on the dial and it helps the car smooth out rumple strips without upsetting the car and it also aids in the wet mode if you track your car during a wet session by allowing more roll which helps in tire contact patch. ZL1's are able to be lowered about an inch with the MRC setup without damaging or upsetting the calibration on the shocks.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:46 PM   #7
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
I was at the find new roads event and I actually had a GM Engineer demo the MRC for me. They had an MRC shock hooked to a 2-3 foot long lever for the person to compress and feel the damping capabilities. He set it to tour and then to track so I could feel the difference. I weight about 185lbs and I lifted my feet off the ground trying to compress the shock. He told me how the gen 5 ZL1 system had only a single charging coil on the MRC struts and it had an issue with not being able to soften the damping as quick as it could increase it. The new setup has multiple coils which allows the ability to rapidly adjust to the road not just the mode settings. Thats more than enough for me to feel that it would provide excellent performance on the track! I love the thought of not needed to buy performance shocks if I want to get serious about handling.

All I want is a solid lowering setup to get the car down without effecting any of the MRC calibration. Hopefully this will be something that comes on the next handling package/1LE/Z##
I saw that demo too, meh. It was too sales biased for me...I do autocross, amateur, but I have friends who run SCCA and NASA. Many of those guys pull the MRC out of their Vettes and are getting better performance with aftermarket components, so I don't know. Even stock for stock, the non MRC cars are putting better skid pad and slalom numbers down so far. I don't care about the ride adjustability, so I'm on the fence as the money for MRC can be put towards better things, but good coilovers aren't cheap. I need to talk to more guys at the track and on race forums then decide...pain in my butt lol.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:03 PM   #8
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
I saw that demo too, meh. It was too sales biased for me...I do autocross, amateur, but I have friends who run SCCA and NASA. Many of those guys pull the MRC out of their Vettes and are getting better performance with aftermarket components, so I don't know. Even stock for stock, the non MRC cars are putting better skid pad and slalom numbers down so far. I don't care about the ride adjustability, so I'm on the fence as the money for MRC can be put towards better things, but good coilovers aren't cheap. I need to talk to more guys at the track and on race forums then decide...pain in my butt lol.
Obviously it was a basic demo meant to impress the simple minded, even though I knew how it worked it still did. HAHAHA! I guess I thought it wouldn't feel locked down solid in track like it did, but I like it because it is smarter than I am. I love researching and learning how to improve things, but I don't feel like doing that with my shocks on a street car. I'm sure a pro can dial in a adjustable coil over to out perform an MRC setup, but I'm not that pro and I don't want to dial in a handling setup then get my teeth rattled out anytime I'm on public roads. DSSV would be great but I don't think they will go that route on a camaro if they chose not to on the C7 Z06.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:08 PM   #9
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Yeah, will see. I just hope for an 1LE with a track oriented non MRC suspension. Then I won't have to decide lol.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:36 PM   #10
SkipNWis

Drives: 2016/SS Has had 4 Gen 5's
I have a 1LE and I have had my car on the Track ONCE. It was a hoot but if I never do it again that's fine also I never carried for the Black hood. I had mine painted and the 3m crap taken off. I also Passed on the MRC my car is mostly just a weekend cruiser This will be my 6th Camaro I have had v6's 2ss and the 1le One auto and 3 Manuals. I know the Gen 5 pretty well. I'm very excited about the GEN 6. Lots of new stuff.
SkipNWis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:39 PM   #11
Zultain7

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Isn't GM making a lowering kit available for cars with MRC? I know they're making it for the regular, and k could have sworn they said for MRC too.
3000 Status on 9/3
3300 Status on 10/8
3400 Status on 10/9
3800 Status on 10/19
Delivery 12/28
Zultain7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:30 PM   #12
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zultain7 View Post
Isn't GM making a lowering kit available for cars with MRC? I know they're making it for the regular, and k could have sworn they said for MRC too.
Nothing set in stone yet...
Old 01-06-2016, 11:07 PM   #13
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zultain7 View Post
They are indeed working on the lowering springs for the MRC as well.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:30 AM   #14
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
They are indeed working on the lowering springs for the MRC as well.
They said that months ago, but last I read was they haven't come up with a timeframe as to if or when...

If not GM, I am sure BMR or someone else will come out with them.