Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 11-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #1
Grumpy1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Hyper Blue A10
No NPP - Regrets

Another exhaust thread.....
I love the NPP on our systems but I'm thinking it's time for an exhaust with a little more punch, getting a little boring.
It's possible I could be happy with the mild to wild switch for a while but I've got my sights set on the AWE touring resonated cat backs. Of course there's no NPP feature.
This goes to anyone that has scrapped the NPP setup, not concerned about the brand you chose just whether you've had any regrets not being able to control the sound?
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:50 AM   #2
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy1 View Post
Another exhaust thread.....
I love the NPP on our systems but I'm thinking it's time for an exhaust with a little more punch, getting a little boring.
It's possible I could be happy with the mild to wild switch for a while but I've got my sights set on the AWE touring resonated cat backs. Of course there's no NPP feature.
This goes to anyone that has scrapped the NPP setup, not concerned about the brand you chose just whether you've had any regrets not being able to control the sound?
Nope, I don't miss it at all.

I went with Borla S-type axle-backs without NPP.

I plan to do the same with my Z06
2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:52 AM   #3
greg0ry

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
I'm in the same boat :( I know you can't go wrong with borla. I've done months and months of research. Borla has no drone and sounds the best it seems like. Only problem is, it's expensive as hell. So I looked at other npp options like magnaflow and Flowmaster. Apparently magnaflow has nasty drone and Flowmaster has minimal drone but no drone with valves closed. Idk. The mbrp sounds better to me than the Flowmaster though but it doesn't have valves but it's under 500 bucks. It sounds so good. I just worry for my neighbors in the morning and the cops cuz I live in California... Think ima go for the mbrp though.
greg0ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
Grumpy1

It seems almost all the aftermarkets with Npp value have issues here and there. If I remember reading in a few post borla seems to work well but I'm not all that keen on the sound, want something a little deeper in tone.
At least I don't have to worry about neighbors in the morning as this isn't my daily driver. If I do have to start it early I'll just start the car with the garage door closed.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #5
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
I had the non npp stock exhaust with suitcase muffler and it just HAD to go! I went back and forth from Borla S-Type axleback to AWE Touring axleback. Finally went with the AWE Touring. It was about $200 less than the Borla after getting a really great deal from RDP Store. The sound is amazing! Quiet when cruising with absolutely no drone, and the car comes alive when you put your foot down! Not to mention the awesome crackles on downshifts. In my opinion it’s the perfect compromise between too quiet and too loud. I believe the cat back is a little deeper tone but also a little quieter than the axleback.
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #6
caSStro18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy1 View Post
It seems almost all the aftermarkets with Npp value have issues here and there. If I remember reading in a few post borla seems to work well but I'm not all that keen on the sound, want something a little deeper in tone.
At least I don't have to worry about neighbors in the morning as this isn't my daily driver. If I do have to start it early I'll just start the car with the garage door closed.
The AWE Touring axleback is pretty loud on cold starts, but it quiets down pretty quickly.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:45 PM   #7
Grumpy1

I thought the cat back would be little louder or deeper since the sec. cats would be gone and having the different x-pipe.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:20 PM   #8
Agent K

Drives: 2017 ZL1 6MT
I'm glad I kept my NPP. My custom exhaust is loud and over time can be too loud. So, when my wife is in the car, I can quiet it down just with a touch of a button...then we can enjoy cruising. I switch back to Track mode when I'm riding solo.

https://youtu.be/ApkS2lkjMmM
2017 ZL1 Arctic Blue Metallic / 6MT / sunroof / NAV / PDR / RotoFab CAI + dry filter / Tony Mamo TB V1 / Skip Shift Eliminator / Hurst Short Throw Shifter / ZL1 floor mats / Dead Pedal cover (to match other pedals) / ARH Catless 1-7/8" headers + ARH X-pipe + AWE Touring Axle-Back / Diode Dynamic smoked side markers / American Authority tow hook
Agent K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:33 PM   #9
caSStro18

According to the website the resonated catback is quieter. The non-resonated is louder as long as you get the link pipes.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #10
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
I love my Borla with NPP - the quiet version. Sweet crack and bark on cold start, great sound valves closed or open, but I really like being able to turn down the sound when I want to, like touring with my wife.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:35 PM   #11
Grumpy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by caSStro18 View Post
According to the website the resonated catback is quieter. The non-resonated is louder as long as you get the link pipes.
Yes, but if you notice using the link pipes eliminating the secondary cats make it a tad more.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:22 AM   #12
Blackmonba6Gen
BLUPRINT_1LE

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue SS 1LE
I have the AWE Track System and I never looked back. I'm glad I got rid of the stock NPP. Even when it was stock i keep the valves open anyways..No regrets best money spent

IG: BLUPRINT_1LE
YT: BLUPRINT_1LE

----------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmonba6Gen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:49 AM   #13
keystonemedical

Drives: 2019 ZL1 / LE , 2014 CTS V
Quote:
Originally Posted by caSStro18 View Post

I find it interesting that per the AWE chart, not withstanding any exhaust listed with the Link Pipes. that the Race Axleback is louder than any of the catbacks listed even with the resonators removed. I think that goes to show how free flowing the GM exhaust set up is on these cars to some degree.
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:57 AM   #14
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
I too went with the Borla S type I friggen love it, better than the NPP for sure.
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote