Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-01-2020, 10:42 AM   #1
BlackMambaZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Trading 765 RWHP '13 ZL1 for '19 ZL1 1LE today! Looking for the truth!

So, after years of contemplation and a week of a pissed off wife... I am getting my 1LE today. I am torn on how excited I should be haha. I have been getting this car ready to roll for 5 years now and I finished everything last year. But, I couldn't get the 1LE off of my mind and just had to pull the trigger. It was that or a c8... and I think at 6'4" 300 lbs that I might be a smidge too big for a c8 haha.

Anywho, I am reading a lot of conflicting "Facts" on here and I want to see what direction I am going to go when I mod this lil guy. Do it once, do it right. I want to be close to what I had before but in a 1LE haha. So, can I get clarification on the following things from you guys?

-Heard injectors are good to 900+rwhp, heard they aren't. I know I am going to need a pump at 700+. I had the DSX kit in my '13 and I dug it. Will do again. When do I need to worry about redoing the injectors? I have a 6.2 DI in my '18 half ton and know how important the catch cans are so it will more than likely be on the first round of mods.

-Was the oil issue on the A10 fixed in '19? Still see guys recommending a pump on 19's and I see guys saying that it was fixed.

-Heard the motor and block need to be pulled to put in a cam/oil pump. I am just seeing how in depth this is going to get haha.

-This SC is smaller than the '13 zl1. But, has less heat soak, even when pullied. I know cooling was huge in the '13. I will still be doing cooling but how much is really needed? I don't want to go to the 2650. I will be porting this guy.

-The LT4 is stronger than a LSA? I have seen a lot of people having oil issues on the their LT4 and I really have not seen a lot of issues on a LSA.

I fear about buyers remorse haha. I love my current car but I do know that I am getting a better car. I just want to make sure that I am not trading in to get something really finicky and PIA to get right haha.
764RWHP on e85 683RWHP on 91. M6 Black on Black on Black. 1300ID's, DSX Aux Pump and Flex Fuel Sensor, Lingenfelter 2.5 upper 9.5 lower, 100MM idler, AFCO HX w/ FANS. 1 7/8"ARH exhaust to axle incl LTH, MF's, Fuel Lab FF, Lingenfelter ported snout and TB, Lingenfelter CAI, RotoFab coolant tank, NGK 2 steps colder spark plugs, Moroso catch can, BTR Stage III cam, crank case breather. Tuned by Power Labs in Idaho Falls, ID.
BlackMambaZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:49 AM   #2
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Drives: '16 Z06
The 6th gen ZL1 is a serious package, the 1LE even more so. I don't think you can possibly be disappointed with it no matter what you drove before. If you're going for 765, you can get there safely with a couple fuel mods. A cam and aux pump should be plenty.

I will let someone with more experience answer though. Grats on the new ride!
JasonGofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #3
Heartbreaker

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL-1 1LE
1LE Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMambaZL1 View Post
So, after years of contemplation and a week of a pissed off wife... I am getting my 1LE today. I am torn on how excited I should be haha. I have been getting this car ready to roll for 5 years now and I finished everything last year. But, I couldn't get the 1LE off of my mind and just had to pull the trigger. It was that or a c8... and I think at 6'4" 300 lbs that I might be a smidge too big for a c8 haha.

Anywho, I am reading a lot of conflicting "Facts" on here and I want to see what direction I am going to go when I mod this lil guy. Do it once, do it right. I want to be close to what I had before but in a 1LE haha. So, can I get clarification on the following things from you guys?

-Heard injectors are good to 900+rwhp, heard they aren't. I know I am going to need a pump at 700+. I had the DSX kit in my '13 and I dug it. Will do again. When do I need to worry about redoing the injectors? I have a 6.2 DI in my '18 half ton and know how important the catch cans are so it will more than likely be on the first round of mods.

-Was the oil issue on the A10 fixed in '19? Still see guys recommending a pump on 19's and I see guys saying that it was fixed.

-Heard the motor and block need to be pulled to put in a cam/oil pump. I am just seeing how in depth this is going to get haha.

-This SC is smaller than the '13 zl1. But, has less heat soak, even when pullied. I know cooling was huge in the '13. I will still be doing cooling but how much is really needed? I don't want to go to the 2650. I will be porting this guy.

-The LT4 is stronger than a LSA? I have seen a lot of people having oil issues on the their LT4 and I really have not seen a lot of issues on a LSA.

I fear about buyers remorse haha. I love my current car but I do know that I am getting a better car. I just want to make sure that I am not trading in to get something really finicky and PIA to get right haha.
I would do the Jannetty 125+ Rwhp flex fuel upgrade and call it a day.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:03 AM   #4
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
No component on the factory fuel system is capable of 900+ whp DI only. On MS109 race gas you could probably stretch it out to 850whp but not on pump 93 and not even remotely close on E85. Meth and a mix of E might get there. So the conflicting info you are hearing is likely based on different fuels and using meth or not.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:08 AM   #5
BlackMambaZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
No component on the factory fuel system is capable of 900+ whp DI only. On MS109 race gas you could probably stretch it out to 850whp but not on pump 93 and not even remotely close on E85. Meth and a mix of E might get there. So the conflicting info you are hearing is likely based on different fuels and using meth or not.
That makes sense haha I knew this and didn't think about that. On my old car I run e98 and would run the same thing on this. There is a guy in my town that sells it at a good rate and always has 30 gallons on hand for me.

If I go 800RWHP with e98... am I good on stock DI?
764RWHP on e85 683RWHP on 91. M6 Black on Black on Black. 1300ID's, DSX Aux Pump and Flex Fuel Sensor, Lingenfelter 2.5 upper 9.5 lower, 100MM idler, AFCO HX w/ FANS. 1 7/8"ARH exhaust to axle incl LTH, MF's, Fuel Lab FF, Lingenfelter ported snout and TB, Lingenfelter CAI, RotoFab coolant tank, NGK 2 steps colder spark plugs, Moroso catch can, BTR Stage III cam, crank case breather. Tuned by Power Labs in Idaho Falls, ID.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:39 AM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
750 ON E60 ON STOCK CAM
850 ON E60 WITH CAM 32% LOBE AND FUEL PUMP VOLTAGE BOOSTER.

Quote:
That makes sense haha I knew this and didn't think about that. On my old car I run e98 and would run the same thing on this. There is a guy in my town that sells it at a good rate and always has 30 gallons on hand for me.

If I go 800RWHP with e98... am I good on stock DI?
Not a chance, With a camshaft, and fuel pump voltage booster you can do 750 RWHP on E-60 any more and numbers go down.

I had a 13 ZL1 and now have an 18 ZL1 1LE and can speak from experience.

2 very different cars all positive.

Feel free to call me 203-753-7223

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 02:13 PM   #7
BlackMambaZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
750 ON E60 ON STOCK CAM

Not a chance, With a camshaft, and fuel pump voltage booster you can do 750 RWHP on E-60 any more and numbers go down.

Ted.
TY Ted! Appreciate the input! I think the biggest thing that I am worried about is the oil pump stuff. Did they fix it in 2019 and 2020. '17 and '18 were the years with the oil issue? I don't even know what the issue was. I am assuming it is something with the DOD haha.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:46 PM   #8
2ltrgsr
AXLERODZL1

Drives: 2019 Riverside blue ZL1 Camaro
Quote:
TY Ted! Appreciate the input! I think the biggest thing that I am worried about is the oil pump stuff. Did they fix it in 2019 and 2020. '17 and '18 were the years with the oil issue? I don't even know what the issue was. I am assuming it is something with the DOD haha.

No issues have been made public on any 19's so far.
That looks to be a 17-18 issue.

My 19 was purchased in Nov 18 and has done excellent.
103 TB
Lingenfelter Lower Pulley(9.17)
1 7/8 ARH headers and Exhaust
Meth injection(single nozzle)

733whp/788tq
2ltrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:51 PM   #9
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
750 ON E60 ON STOCK CAM

Ted.
Yes I seen you post that. I was referencing E85. I do agree tho that E60 is a sweet spot for fuel system headroom and timing. I run E60 now for that reason. It's easy to mix and frees up a bit of fuel headroom to allow for more power to be made.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:50 PM   #10
Sorange

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Just a heads up - Doing research on catch cans I found numerous posts about people having their warranties voided for having them, or being threatened that it would be if they do install them. I bought an Elite Engineering catch can that I have yet to install on my car for this very reason. I keep going back and forth. It's not just a quick uninstall if the car has to go to the dealer. The supercharger has to come off and you have to buy all new supercharger bolts, and lid bolts as they are one time use.
Sorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:57 PM   #11
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorange View Post
Just a heads up - Doing research on catch cans I found numerous posts about people having their warranties voided for having them, or being threatened that it would be if they do install them. I bought an Elite Engineering catch can that I have yet to install on my car for this very reason. I keep going back and forth. It's not just a quick uninstall if the car has to go to the dealer. The supercharger has to come off and you have to buy all new supercharger bolts, and lid bolts as they are one time use.
Agree and that’s why I haven’t bought and installed one either. I still have 2 more years on my drivetrain warranty and don’t want to take a chance on voiding the warranty.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:13 AM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
How did this turn in to a warranty discussion?
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:14 AM   #13
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
With the stock SC ported and cam I’m sure you can make 730-740whp. Heat soak is an issue if you are doing back to back runs. To limit that you can do meth. That will also help to make more power. For reference I have fill bolt ons, cam, ported SC, and meth. Car makes 780whp but I won’t be doing back to back pulls even with the meth. Normally let the car cool about 30min between 1/4 mile runs. If I was tracking the car I would not have so much pulley to increase boost. Maybe just a 2.3 and that’s it.

Now if you want to make 800+ the Mag 2650 seems to be the favorite way to go.

I think regardless of what you decided with cam and full bolt ons with 2650 you are maxed on fuel to about 850whp without doing very expensive fuel upgrades.

At any rate this car is light years better than the 13 ZL1. It’s also about 200lbs lighter.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:21 AM   #14
mosaic6

Drives: ZL1 1LE M6, Pontiac TransAm 400-T10
Unhappy

Quote:
So, after years of contemplation and a week of a pissed off wife... I am getting my 1LE today.
I'm more interested in and can totally relate to the pissed off wife! This happened to me when I bought my Harley Road King!
mosaic6 is offline   Reply With Quote