Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 11-15-2020, 01:44 PM   #295
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Just thought I'd revive this thread because, well, I managed to drive a Mustang today. A friend got a GT(no PP AFAIK) with 6-speed and he doesn't know how to drive a stick. He got it because of the awesome deal the Ford dealer was giving on the car. It was advertised for CAN$41k brand new and he got a pretty good lease deal.

Anyway, this is something quick and dirty without too many details, just my initial, subjective impressions.

I like the Coyote engine a lot personally. It's decently torquey. It's not as torquey as the Camaro, but I think it deserves a little more credit than what I was giving it before I tried it. It sounds pretty great as well, though the exhaust is very loud when cruising around in Sport mode.

That said, the MT82 especially just doesn't feel nearly as good as the TR-6060. TR-6060 has a very satisfying mechanical feel to it, has a short throw(I have the SS 1LE so even shorter than the standard SS), and the left to right travel is just about right while it's a little too short on the Mustang. Almost reminds me of my C7 7-speed. The stick shift is easy to work with for the most part, got the hang of it quickly. The auto rev match is a little more involving to turn on and off as there are no physical switches. Mustang steering wheel also feels a little awkward especially when you are trying to use the cruise control.

Visibility is okay in the Mustang. Better than the Camaro but IMO it's not by a large margin.

Gauge cluster is meh, but this is the basic one and it's kinda cool you can adjust the colour of the gauge. Not a big deal to me, though. The gauges in the centre are not very helpful IMO. They are too far away to look at. Oh and no HUD, I have heard it's not a thing for Mustangs. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

Back seats are more usable than the Camaro, but again, not by very much.

Overall(and memes aside), I think the Mustang is okay but personally think I made the right choice with the Camaro.

Sent from toaster or something
Glad you liked the Coyote. The first time I drove it (first time was in Gen 3 form) I loved the engine as well. Strange, though, assuming that's a Gen 3 Coyote, the redline (thick white lines, not the thinner white lines) is unusually low at 7k rpm for Gen 3 Coyote. The US versions are 7400-7500 rpm (depending on source). When I look at my analog tach the thick white lines begin halfway between 7 and 8, at 7500 rpm, but in the digital gauge Mustang GTs the red starts at 7400 rpm. Also, some Ford Coyote technical documents list 7500 rpm. Any idea why that one you drove is lower?

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:25 AM   #296
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
even the NOT digital tach in my camaro is slow and inaccurate. when the car was stock, shifting at "6500" was actually 6350. now i have to rev it to what looks like 7200 to shift at 6800. the factory gm tachs are slow and inaccurate and have been since the dawn of time. what it boils down to is looks and preference. i don't like digital gauges. i bought a shift light to fix the tach issues when doing general horseplay. i don't think the 2-300 rpm difference would matter as much on track as long as you keep it out of the rev limiter.

i ran a cammed gs c6 this weekend and ran 2nd gear into the limiter (6900) because i wasnt paying attention. tach looked like it was showing 7300. what is this, a foxbody?
I feel the Camaro gauges are a little slow but the c7s are e en slower.. I always notice going down the traps at the strip that it always marks a little less than what I actually trap. Or how shifting right at redline can be a little dangerous at times because it's a few rpms off.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:28 AM   #297
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
I'm actually the opposite - I think fully digital gauge clusters are a little gimmicky. I've never understood the need for a digital screen that mimics two real round gauges. My wife's Volvo XC90 has one, and while it's cool at first, it just becomes common place and stays in the same setting the whole time - two round gauges.

I guess I can see the benefit for the track screens where the RPM band stretches out long across the gage cluster.

Anyway, I have the GT Premium (not the plus), which comes w/ nice looking simple and very legible analog gauges with a small digital screen between that shows pertinent info., and I've never missed having the 12" digital cluster. To each his own, I guess.

How do you like the analog gauges on the Camaro? To me they look busier than the Mustang gauges, which may make them slightly less legible overall (i.e., extra tick marks at each major tick, red circle inside the perimeter of the numbers, and a divided white line outside of the numbers creating the extra tick marks, the font is in italics and changes sizes within the speedo, tick spacing changes beyond 100 mph, etc.). I remember my old LT1 powered Trans Am did something similar where the spacing between tick marks wasn't consistent. I never understood why.
I like both guages. I like the more classic looking analog gauges on the mustang aesthetically but the digital center section on the Camaro better.

It's a moot point though because the camaro has the HUD which is awesome and what I use 99% of the time. If I didn't have it on the camaro I wouldn't miss it on the mustang but I do, great reference for shifting on manual cars.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:29 AM   #298
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Just thought I'd revive this thread because, well, I managed to drive a Mustang today. A friend got a GT(no PP AFAIK) with 6-speed and he doesn't know how to drive a stick. He got it because of the awesome deal the Ford dealer was giving on the car. It was advertised for CAN$41k brand new and he got a pretty good lease deal.

Anyway, this is something quick and dirty without too many details, just my initial, subjective impressions.

I like the Coyote engine a lot personally. It's decently torquey. It's not as torquey as the Camaro, but I think it deserves a little more credit than what I was giving it before I tried it. It sounds pretty great as well, though the exhaust is very loud when cruising around in Sport mode.

That said, the MT82 especially just doesn't feel nearly as good as the TR-6060. TR-6060 has a very satisfying mechanical feel to it, has a short throw(I have the SS 1LE so even shorter than the standard SS), and the left to right travel is just about right while it's a little too short on the Mustang. Almost reminds me of my C7 7-speed. The stick shift is easy to work with for the most part, got the hang of it quickly. The auto rev match is a little more involving to turn on and off as there are no physical switches. Mustang steering wheel also feels a little awkward especially when you are trying to use the cruise control.

Visibility is okay in the Mustang. Better than the Camaro but IMO it's not by a large margin.

Gauge cluster is meh, but this is the basic one and it's kinda cool you can adjust the colour of the gauge. Not a big deal to me, though. The gauges in the centre are not very helpful IMO. They are too far away to look at. Oh and no HUD, I have heard it's not a thing for Mustangs. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

Back seats are more usable than the Camaro, but again, not by very much.

Overall(and memes aside), I think the Mustang is okay but personally think I made the right choice with the Camaro.

Those look like pp1 wheels and pp1 spoiler, unless someone cloned a pp2 look a like.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:32 AM   #299
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
Glad you liked the Coyote. The first time I drove it (first time was in Gen 3 form) I loved the engine as well. Strange, though, assuming that's a Gen 3 Coyote, the redline (thick white lines, not the thinner white lines) is unusually low at 7k rpm for Gen 3 Coyote. The US versions are 7400-7500 rpm (depending on source). When I look at my analog tach the thick white lines begin halfway between 7 and 8, at 7500 rpm, but in the digital gauge Mustang GTs the red starts at 7400 rpm. Also, some Ford Coyote technical documents list 7500 rpm. Any idea why that one you drove is lower?
Yea looks like a gen 2 tach.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:47 AM   #300
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
I like both guages. I like the more classic looking analog gauges on the mustang aesthetically but the digital center section on the Camaro better.

It's a moot point though because the camaro has the HUD which is awesome and what I use 99% of the time. If I didn't have it on the camaro I wouldn't miss it on the mustang but I do, great reference for shifting on manual cars.
In the order of preference for me, it's Mustang full-digital > Camaro upper-trim analog > Mustang analog. Haven't used the Camaro lower-trim analog to really know how much I like it.

Mustang analog is cool in the sense that you can freely adjust the colour of them. Both the halos and the letters can be set to different colours.

But yes, the HUD more than makes up for the analog gauges on the Camaro. I set the HUD to display the speed digitally so I don't have to look at the useless speedo. 330 km/h looks cool, but it also makes the analog speedo absolutely useless in the city. I can then set the gauge cluster screen to display other info.

Quote:
Those look like pp1 wheels and pp1 spoiler, unless someone cloned a pp2 look a like.
Well, it could have just been an appearance package. Kinda like how you can add some 1LE aesthetic parts to a standard SS, but I will ask my friend to send a pic of the window sticker.

Quote:
Yea looks like a gen 2 tach.
Which is very odd, given it's a 2020 car so it should have the Gen 3 Coyote.

The backup camera is a bit busted on the Mustang and the dealer said it's a thing on the 2020 Mustangs and F-150s. I wanted to laugh at Ford but then I remembered my backup camera was glitching a few times a few months ago. It just never did it again. Anyway, we will have to bring the car in later so I will see what they say about it. Could be a Canadian thing? IDK.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:00 PM   #301
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
So yeah, my friend's car is a GT PP1 as I saw the Brembo front brakes.

The tachometer seems to be a Canadian thing. Some online pics of GT gauge cluster I saw also show the same tachometer.

Gotta say that Mustang has better rear headroom and the cloth front seats are made so that there are some extra legroom for the guy sitting in the back. Not that I want to sit back there for a very long time, but they are a bit more comfortable than the Camaro's.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)

Last edited by UnknownJinX; 11-20-2020 at 01:51 AM.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote