Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-27-2020, 07:25 PM   #15
NorthGeorgia

Drives: 2018 ZLE, 2023 C8, IMSA MX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
First impressions of the AR-1s:

1. sweet lord they are LOUD lol reminds me of my mud tires on my old Yota.

2. I don't really have much to say about how they feel on track as it was cold and rainy all day at the Ring yesterday. First lap was super sketch as the tires were ice cold and I was figuring out which parts of the track were yet as I went, and a couple people learned that the hard was as I passed two BMWs in the barrier on the back half of the lap. Once it reopened I went back out and immediately started raining haha I decided to nut up and send it to try to get a feel for them, was able to get some heat in them the first lap so I started to push a bit on the second one but the track was just too wet.

I'll try to get one more day in next Sunday before the season ends but no promises with the way the weather is up there. It's obvious that there's TONS of grip to be had, just need a dry track to make use of it!

This time of year the green hell shows its fall colors. Great time of year otherwise over there in CGN and DUS with Christmas marts and beer.

I put day 3 and 4 on the ar1 and found more grip and improved times. Sweet spot was 34/35 psi hot and the tread squirm settled giving more confidence. The roar is less and Corner entry speeds are still off a few mph but it is lack of driver fortitude and not The tire. The pace is there for the taking.

AR1 front tire temps paralleled the G3R rears and best is that the front ARs have 2 more days in them. Will get 6 total on them. My buddy picked up a set for his C6R and we will compare notes.

As it gets cool, I have to constantly remind myself to pay attention to corner exit until the tire heat comes up.... When these tires break away in the cold the exit snap over steer can happen pretty darn quick and my hands are not as fast as they used to be ...... The torque in these cars just makes me smile till it doesnt. Dont judge but I put a big piece of painters tape on the wheel to remind me to unwind before my foot goes to the floor ...
Attached Images

Last edited by NorthGeorgia; 10-27-2020 at 07:43 PM.
NorthGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote