Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-26-2019, 10:02 PM   #1
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Looking for 8L90 after market replacement

Can someone please refer me to any aftermarket 8 Speed Automatic Transmissions that are not specifically in any way related to the 8L90 trans?

Links in particular if possible please.

Thanks!
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:08 PM   #2
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
ZF.. they come in lots of flavors

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:06 AM   #3
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
Can someone please refer me to any aftermarket 8 Speed Automatic Transmissions that are not specifically in any way related to the 8L90 trans?

Links in particular if possible please.

Thanks!
There is no other 8 speed auto you can swap in the car if that is your question. People will reply and say "anything is possible" but the answer is no. ZF is an awesome transmission but will not work with the Camaros TCM and the physical size won't work. No you can't "make it work" no you can't "figure out a TCM" no. no. no.
Raptor Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:40 AM   #4
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
you could probably open yourself up to some options if you want to go to a 2 speed, 3 speed, 4 speed, or 6 speed auto trans

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:37 AM   #5
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
you could probably open yourself up to some options if you want to go to a 2 speed, 3 speed, 4 speed, or 6 speed auto trans
Even the well known and knowledgeable tuners who have TH400 swapped these cars still can not get it to work 100% with the ECU and it will need to be manually shifted. So it's still not an option.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:45 AM   #6
danhr
BAMF SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Even the well known and knowledgeable tuners who have TH400 swapped these cars still can not get it to work 100% with the ECU and it will need to be manually shifted. So it's still not an option.
who puts a th400 in a car and doesn't put a manual valve body in it? I don't even know the last time I saw an actual TH400 without a manual valve body. lol

and who would swap transmissions and not ditch the factory ECM/TCM? Hell, if Holley would offer 8l80 support in the dominator, I would be going to that right now, and I'm just a bolt on car. lol

Stock Longblock

Old 01-28-2019, 09:59 AM   #7
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
I would. Maybe not a 400 but if I did a 4l80 it would be computer controlled and still have lock up. Even if I did a 400 it would be computer shifted while drag racing.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:04 AM   #8
parish8

That being said I am sticking with the 8sp for awhile. It is a pretty stout unit.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:12 PM   #9
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Quote:
who puts a th400 in a car and doesn't put a manual valve body in it? I don't even know the last time I saw an actual TH400 without a manual valve body. lol

and who would swap transmissions and not ditch the factory ECM/TCM? Hell, if Holley would offer 8l80 support in the dominator, I would be going to that right now, and I'm just a bolt on car. lol
This is why I said no from the beginning. It went from a simple transmission swap to a manual valve body trans with not a single body control function working anymore. Basically a full on drag only car. Who would swap a trans and not keep the ECM? Um.. basically anyone that wanted to use any other function of the car.

Any car you can rip out all the electronics and throw a stand alone with a digital cluster and run any powertrain you want. That's not a solution to the OP's question.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:11 PM   #10
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
Are you concerned about the recurring shudder issues? If yes then do you need to replace the entire transmission or just the torque converter? That seems to be the weak link. I haven't seen many complaints from people that programmed the TCM to remove slip and/or replaced the torque converter. It seems like the transmission itself is OK up to moderate power levels.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:34 PM   #11
danhr
BAMF SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
This is why I said no from the beginning. It went from a simple transmission swap to a manual valve body trans with not a single body control function working anymore. Basically a full on drag only car. Who would swap a trans and not keep the ECM? Um.. basically anyone that wanted to use any other function of the car.

Any car you can rip out all the electronics and throw a stand alone with a digital cluster and run any powertrain you want. That's not a solution to the OP's question.
What functions would you lose by not using the factory ecm/tcm?

I think parish still uses the factory gauges with his megasquirt setup?

There are standalone controllers for transmissions?

Stock Longblock

Old 01-28-2019, 06:45 PM   #12
parish8

I still have the factory ecm. I see no reason to remove it. No idea what all it is still doing.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:46 PM   #13
parish8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
Are you concerned about the recurring shudder issues? If yes then do you need to replace the entire transmission or just the torque converter? That seems to be the weak link. I haven't seen many complaints from people that programmed the TCM to remove slip and/or replaced the torque converter. It seems like the transmission itself is OK up to moderate power levels.
By moderate you mean 1000+hp? Then yes.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:48 PM   #14
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Quote:
What functions would you lose by not using the factory ecm/tcm?

I think parish still uses the factory gauges with his megasquirt setup?

There are standalone controllers for transmissions?
Climate control, display, radio, cluster, door locks, windows, seats, wipers, srs, abs, vsa, electric power steering... basically anything controlled by the BCM which receives signals from the factor ECM. Take the tcm out and the ECM will not function and no you can’t program the ECM to work without it. Megasquirt in that application is not a stand alone and it works in conjunction with the factory ECM and overrides the signals the ECM sees.