Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 01-10-2019, 03:02 PM   #15
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
By enlarging one of the rear deck 6x9 openings. I have seen the Clarus subs are good for IB along with some Acoustic Elegance lines.

Also thought you would want to go as big a sub as possible to take advantage of IB?
IB is just like any other bass install, it's all about surface area and keeping all cones in phase with one another. One 10" gives you 80 square inches, two 8" gives you 100 square inches.

If you're going to enlarge for a 10", you'll need to go passenger side opening and make it offset of the existing hole. The deck is part of the rear cross brace structure, so the vertical plane is in the way if you stay centered. This will mean the edge of your sub will be firing almost directly at the bottom of the rear window seal. You can't use the driver side without having to extend cabling and relocating the trunk light/harness.

If you go with the 8" subs, you can keep them centered with the existing openings and don't need to expand them because the opening is sufficient to pass the volume of the surface area. No relocation of light needed either. May just need to reroute and secure the harness down the middle on the topside of the deck.

Enjoy!
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:06 PM   #16
JaxChris

Something else I was thinking about for both of you -- if you're going to use the rear side speakers, what are your plans to secure the speakers? If I recall, those speakers mount to the interior trim panel and aren't secured to the body structure behind them, essentially they are bottom mount. Adding a harder hitting or heavier speaker there could have unforeseen wear on the trim panels.

I honestly would just stick with 3-way active fronts, plus or minus the center channel depending on if you want driver only or both front seats imaged, and subs in the rear deck doing that IB sexiness.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:03 PM   #17
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
Something else I was thinking about for both of you -- if you're going to use the rear side speakers, what are your plans to secure the speakers? If I recall, those speakers mount to the interior trim panel and aren't secured to the body structure behind them, essentially they are bottom mount. Adding a harder hitting or heavier speaker there could have unforeseen wear on the trim panels.

I honestly would just stick with 3-way active fronts, plus or minus the center channel depending on if you want driver only or both front seats imaged, and subs in the rear deck doing that IB sexiness.
Not sure if you were referring to me or him, I’m assuming him. But just to answer, I’m building a custom fiberglass enclosure for the subs and midrange drivers
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK

Last edited by drfeelgood; 01-11-2019 at 04:00 PM.
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:53 AM   #18
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Ok you sold me on the smaller woofer. The work for a 10" sounds like a PITA. Just now reading about the I6SW, now that could drop in the stock holes without any cutting.. although an enclosure would be required.

I'm not doing anything for rear side panel speakers, in fact I'm debating on gutting the stock ones. One of them has a bad rattle. Sorry to hijack the thread OP.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:14 PM   #19
JaxChris

drfeelgood, I was asking you how you planned to address securing the rear sides.

WhyUMad1LE, the 6.5 sub may be too deep to top mount with the rake of the back window. Have a contingency plan to bottom mount and then consider whether you want to move to 7-8" woofers instead for most surface area without modifications.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #20
drfeelgood

Quote:
drfeelgood, I was asking you how you planned to address securing the rear sides.

WhyUMad1LE, the 6.5 sub may be too deep to top mount with the rake of the back window. Have a contingency plan to bottom mount and then consider whether you want to move to 7-8" woofers instead for most surface area without modifications.
OK got it. And I like the idea of considering bottom mounting the woofers.

For me, I'm subject to the constraints of the convertible*, hence me doing this the way I am doing it. I am interested to see how it sounds.
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

Last edited by drfeelgood; 01-14-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:26 AM   #21
headgamez

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
lol not quite, Challenger is a good 300lb more that the ZL1 vert

Will post pics of the box that we create for the rear fill midrange and woofers

No, we removed the center channel, Not enough available channels on my H8 to utilize it .

2.7" midrange will go in factory locations for now firing off glass, tweeters are in custom A pillars firing on axis.

Depending on how I like this setup I may of may not move to a setup with both the midrange and tweeter firing on axis in custom A pillars. I love that sound on my previous builds, and, IMO, it just looks better.
I have seen that a 3.5 midrange will fit in the dash. Have you found this to be true??
headgamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:33 PM   #22
JaxChris

A 3.5" fits in the center channel location, but not in the dash corners.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:37 PM   #23
headgamez

Quote:
Got ya!!
Old 01-14-2019, 12:41 PM   #24
drfeelgood

Quote:
exactly... those corners are very tight, both diameter and depth are a challenge there

Old 01-16-2019, 08:53 PM   #25
Ulisses_KartunesAZ

Drives: 2018 silver Camaro SS
my last car had both tweeter and mid in the same dash location firing off the glass. (Toyota 86) speakers were focal flax. I'm now putting the same speakers in my Camaro but am wondering if I should fire off the glass or place tweeters in the pillars an mid on the dash. as far as time alignment what will create the most accurate sound? I'm using the same amp i ad before (VXI 600/6) all I've installed so far is a 600.1 and fix 82(for optical output) with a 10tw3 wedge box and am leaning toward the w6 stealth box.
Ulisses_KartunesAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:14 PM   #26
headgamez

I am going mids in the dash, and possibly tweeter in the a pillars as well. I will also go with the w6 stealth.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:25 PM   #27
JaxChris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulisses_KartunesAZ View Post
my last car had both tweeter and mid in the same dash location firing off the glass. (Toyota 86) speakers were focal flax. I'm now putting the same speakers in my Camaro but am wondering if I should fire off the glass or place tweeters in the pillars an mid on the dash. as far as time alignment what will create the most accurate sound? I'm using the same amp i ad before (VXI 600/6) all I've installed so far is a 600.1 and fix 82(for optical output) with a 10tw3 wedge box and am leaning toward the w6 stealth box.
Don't fight the crazy off-angle of that dash corner, fire off the glass and include center of cone to glass + glass to head in your TA measurement. If you want the tweeter in the a-pillar, consider airbag deployment in your cable length and make sure you don't mess up the microphone lead in there. The 3" driver from the Flax 165 set won't fit in the corner dash location, you'll need a smaller speaker for that spot if you want to go 3-way.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:47 PM   #28
Ulisses_KartunesAZ

Drives: 2018 silver Camaro SS
Quote:
Don't fight the crazy off-angle of that dash corner, fire off the glass and include center of cone to glass + glass to head in your TA measurement. If you want the tweeter in the a-pillar, consider airbag deployment in your cable length and make sure you don't mess up the microphone lead in there. The 3" driver from the Flax 165 set won't fit in the corner dash location, you'll need a smaller speaker for that spot if you want to go 3-way.
I'm sure I can get them to fit Sith some modding as I've installed them in a couple of sierras. opening doesn't look any different. and I just might fire the tweet off the glass. as for the center channel has anyone left this in play? at my last JL Audio tech meeting one of the reps had left his connected in his Lexus and said it helped with his TA. but what bugged me is that he kept contradicting himself with how we was explaining his sound system smh.
Ulisses_KartunesAZ is offline   Reply With Quote