Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-03-2018, 09:53 AM   #1
dekee

Drives: none
Oil low after first oil change

I recently brought my car in for an oil change and now the ‘oil low’ light is on. I checked the oil and it does not even register on the stick. Should I bring it back to the same dealer that was suppose to change the oil or should I bring it to another dealer to assist possible damage?
dekee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:01 AM   #2
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Don't drive the car if possible. Get oil and add it until it shows on the dipstick. Doesn't matter much exactly what, I'd go with a cheap 5w30 just to get it to the dealer.

Call the dealer's service manager and explain what happened and ask them to change the oil again and determine if it's damaged.

Even if it's not damaged now, you never know. Typically, GM will extend your powertrain warranty. You may need to talk to GM to get this done.

This is why a lot of folks don't like bringing in the cars for oil changes. Usually, the newest, youngest and most inexperienced guy at the shop does oil changes. Apparently, they sometimes can't be bothered to look up how much oil goes in your car or check the dipstick.

One thing you can do in the future is check the dipstick before taking your car back. Good luck, I hope it's ok.
DaveC113 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:03 AM   #3
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
If the low oil light came on it might be very low on oil, I'd have it towed to the dealer. Do not turn the engine on at all.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
HackSaw

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
your invoice for the oil change should list how many quarts of oil they put in
HackSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:48 PM   #5
dekee

Drives: none
I had to put 4.5 quarts of oil in the car for it to register. I end up bringing it to another dealership to access damage. I'm just not convinced that I didn't ruin parts driving it so low on oil :(.
dekee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:41 PM   #6
Subcool

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Wow that is low! I would definitely make sure the original dealer that changed your oil knows this. Document what they say, Hope your car isn’t damaged, that sucks
Subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:31 PM   #7
Gunmetalmissle

Drives: 16 ngm ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekee View Post
I had to put 4.5 quarts of oil in the car for it to register. I end up bringing it to another dealership to access damage. I'm just not convinced that I didn't ruin parts driving it so low on oil :(.
Maybe they used the old small block standard of 5.5 quarts. As long as you kept the revs down and didn’t hear any strange noises I don’t think there will be any damage. Also not sure how a dealer is going to assess any damage. If the car runs fine, they are going to just say it’s fine.

I’ve always had great experiences at local small mechanics and almost always terrible service at dealerships.
Gunmetalmissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:34 PM   #8
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
Sadly this isn’t the first time that I have seen this happening to a forum member. The last time the owner called the dealer service department and complained and they sent someone out to fill the oil to the proper level. Kinda Sad.....
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote