Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-02-2016, 10:29 PM   #1
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Drives: 1LE LS3
Why a CAI SHOULDN'T be your first mod.

By no means am I saying they don't improve the cars performance, I mean you need to understand what they are. They are to create quick revenue. That 400-500$ you can easy spend on headers(30-40RWHP),tires, man you can even use that money to get a cam. I'm a bit upset at seeing so many CAI threads now, so here's the basic truth. Majority you see on this site will give you 3HP and a whoosh sound. They won't "lift the front end" or my personal favorite "break the tires loose!" They are mainly for looks, and getting vendors sales. If you are a "I don't want to lose my tire cap because I'll lose my warranty!" Type of guy okay I understand but ANY MAJOR CAI sold on this site will give you the same performance. I'm not a "it's just a tube with a cone" guy just we need to learn how to search CAI threads. It's been discussed 1049482002 times. Get headers or tires. Make your Camaro sound better for that price tag. For more info please use the "search" button. PLEASE USE IT FOR HEADERS TOO. PLEASE.
BlueN20Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:39 PM   #2
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Smile

Thanks for the info, I'm glad you cleared it up for everyone.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:40 PM   #3
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
How dare you speak fact over fiction.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:05 AM   #4
MikosV6
Account Suspended

Drives: '15 Camaro 1LS/M6
You're making a lot of ASSumptions here. One, some people don't want to just throw away their factory powertrain warranty by getting cams and headers. Two, long tube headers are the best headers to get for power gains, but they are illegal in many places that have emissions testing and will require a tune in most cases, which will void your powertrain warranty.

A good CAI can be worth more than just 3 hp. The most popular one on here is worth 10-15 rwhp. No, it's not the gain you would get with cams and headers with a tune, but it's still a gain and every little bit helps.
MikosV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:10 AM   #5
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikosV6 View Post
You're making a lot of ASSumptions here. One, some people don't want to just throw away their factory powertrain warranty by getting cams and headers. Two, long tube headers are the best headers to get for power gains, but they are illegal in many places that have emissions testing and will require a tune in most cases, which will void your powertrain warranty.

A good CAI can be worth more than just 3 hp. The most popular one on here is worth 10-15 rwhp. No, it's not the gain you would get with cams and headers with a tune, but it's still a gain and every little bit helps.
10-15

GREAT point except maybe read this. Don't worry take the time to really read it. If you believe that all the "other claim 15 and lie" but this one makes 15 than go ahead. It's not 15 it's not 10. MAYBE 5. Divide 5/500$ Don't lose your tire caps they'll void your warranty too.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2016, 12:15 AM   #6
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI

And please don't watch this if you believe it. And the point was to search. Not to make threads.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:36 AM   #7
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
So search.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:39 AM   #8
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
It's nice to see someone try to spread the awareness.

Between oil and CAI's there is a lot of misconception around here. Sometimes peace of mind is worth $$
After seeing all the junk collected by the stock air box, I am very happy to keep it with my header/cam combo. Although the wind scoop seems like a possible worth in an area with clean air (no bugs, salt, possibly rain)

Edit: Love the MCM link! I got one of their CHOPPED stickers for my rear windshield. Worth contributing to those guys.
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:13 AM   #9
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Interesting thoughts indeed. I just bought a CAI, used from a forum member. But I can feel a definite difference, especially in the lower end of the curve. No, it didn't make my car a Z/28 or anything like that, just a little more torque in the RPM range I'm in most of the time being a daily driver. It definitely feeds the engine more air, and feels like it's freeing up more than 3 HP for sure.

But, would I spend $400 on one? No way, just not enough bang for the buck. Although, I also think that a good CAI is necessary to get the most out of internal mods, like cams, porting and such. Letting the engine take in more air is one thing, and the stock system is decent, not great but decent. But when you start increasing the amount of air the engine can draw in, then you need something less restrictive.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:44 AM   #10
Bodywerks

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueN20Camaro View Post

And please don't watch this if you believe it. And the point was to search. Not to make threads.
Ummm, the title itself says TURBO - whole, whole different animal.
Go ahead and keep your factory air box - no sweat off my back...
HSA delete, VMAX throttle body, CAI inc. Intake, PRC255 heads, BTR 660 springs, BTR cryo-treated rockers, PAT G 232/240 .654/.626 110+2, johnson 2110's, Manton 502 pushrods, C5R, Melling high volume/high pressure, Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley, Proform covers, Kooks stepped headers, catless mids, Doug Thorley exhaust. 512rwhp, 446rwtq on a mustang dyno, tuned by Cunningham motorsports.
Bodywerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:47 AM   #11
krisprz2010camaross

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/Rs Transformers
LOL 😔
Vararam intake(tune model)
Kooks LT headers & cats delete
Corsa ZL1 3" exhaust
RedBarn Racing Tune
CMS Stage 3 Cam
AFR CNC ported heads
MSD Spark plug wires
LNC-2000 Launch controller
NGK TR6 Spark Plugs
1le strut tower brace-TPIS spacers
Nick Williams 102mm throttle body
Fast lsxr 102 intake manifold
Slp 25% UDP
Katech Tensioner Pulley
Circle D 3600-3700 multi disk Stall
GM 3.91 gears
DDS carbon fiber driveshaft
ZL1 fuel pump & injectors
Flex fuel sensor(91/E85)
https://wheelwell.com/kris-perez
krisprz2010camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:42 AM   #12
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueN20Camaro View Post

Watch the one they did with their S2000.

I for one agree with your search saying. Catch cans, CAIs, ported TBs, headers, VTC, will this void my warranty and which engine do I have, have been discussed so much and been beaten to death.Ted Jannety even has a thread of dyno tests on top brand intakes and has spread sheets of the results. Apex has the CAI thread along with many other useful threads like buying the right header and drop springs explained and will this mod void my warranty. I rarely make threads unless I actually have no clue and haven't found my answer or havent come to a conclusion after hours of searching.

But the main reason the CAI is mod #1 because its super simplistic and show gains over stock and keeps the factory warranty. For people who don't care about warranty they usually hit all the bolt ons and tune all at once. Matter of preference really. Warranty or no?
Old 01-03-2016, 06:43 AM   #13
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
Don't be an "approval freak". Waste YOUR money however YOU want.
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:33 AM   #14
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote