Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Members Classifieds - Parts for sale or wanted > Interior Parts & Accessories

Old 11-30-2020, 04:10 PM   #1
aZL1
Indie

Drives: '14 ZL1 M6 AGM
Thumbs up Gen5 Camaro Parts for Race Seats Install w/Factory Functionality

These parts are what are needed to install race seats in a Gen5 Camaro, while maintaining factory dash airbag functionality, without any electronics error messages being generated. I wanted two distinct sets, race & street, so I duplicated the components and simulated the airbags in the race seats for easy swaps. It also makes swapping race seats & factory seats easier. During track season I'd have the race seats installed with the electronics below, while maintaining dash airbag functionality. Other times I'd install the factory seats which still had their own original electronics. I used these parts for 4 years in a 2014 ZL1, worked well, and sold the car with the original factory seats.

Driver's Seat Position Sensor - these are $135 or more new - $50 shipped

Seat belt receptacles with "belt-connected" sensors, one extended-length to better clear the side panels of race seats, $25 each shipped

Passenger Seat Electric Harness shown below, P/N 2217386-1 / T86056141043 - $30 shipped

Passenger Occupant Presence Sensor Pads
The pad shown on the left below, was used for the passenger seat and needs the relocated connector re-soldered - $50 shipped
These are $285 each new from GM

The pad shown on the right above is new, never used (<< -- SOLD to abqiom) --- ^^^^

Passenger Presence Computer & Electronics - $80 shipped <<--- SOLD ---

Last edited by aZL1; 04-17-2021 at 02:28 PM.
aZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:47 PM   #2
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Ill take one driver side harness and air bag simulator.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:50 PM   #3
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Is the hook a front or back one?
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:52 AM   #4
760bowtie

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, 2018 Silverado CC
I’ll take the passenger side harness and airbag simulator and the Jack mag pad
Old 12-01-2020, 07:05 AM   #5
jokrz187

Drives: 2015 1SS
Is the jack mag pad still available?
Custom TSP Stage 2 Cam/GPI intake Ported Rod Mod /VARARAM CAI/Mishimoto Catch Can/1 LE front & rear sway bars/ engine cover/fuse box custom painted, strut tower brace, Texas Speed LT, Hi Flo Cats, Magnum Tru-X pipe, NGK Spark Plugs, PCM Spark Plug Wire, Painted Calipers, CF Spoiler w/wicker bill.
jokrz187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:00 AM   #6
ronchev

Drives: 14' Red Z/28 #336
PM me Interested in some of the seat electronics
ronchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:54 PM   #7
aZL1
Indie

I've received multiple inquiries asking if I can share info on what is needed for this seat swap. It's has been about 4 years since I went thru it so bear with me please. IIRC following is some background and the "big" pieces. These work-arounds are necessary because of the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board's (NTSB) requirements and GM's solutions for their cars in the last decade or so.

The driver's side seat plug-in components are relatively straightforward and inexpensive. First you need a driver's side harness for the year of your car which can be sourced at most any of the GM parts websites on the Internet. Next you need an Airbag Systems airbag simulator ( Airbag Systems Simulator Kits - $29 - you can see one plugged into the end of the passenger side harness above). Finally, you need a seat position sensor which the car uses to sense how close the driver is to the steering wheel to determine how much energy should be delivered to actuate the steering wheel airbag in the event of a mishap. Evidently people with their seat closer to the steering wheel have been injured by a set, robust airbag deployment versus someone with their seat farther back. I have one for sale above.

The passenger's seat is not so straightforward. Again you need a passenger side harness and an Airbag Systems airbag simulator to fool the computer into thinking there is a seat-side working airbag present in the race seat like there are in the factory seats. Coupled to that you need a passenger presence system that is comprised of a Passenger Occupant-Presence Sensor Pad and the Passenger Presence Computer & Electronics. The aim here is to sense when not to deploy the passenger-side dash airbag in the case where there is a small child present in the seat who could be injured by airbag deployment. Unless the pad senses 50 lbs or more of weight I think it is, the airbag will not be deployed in a collision. Both items are listed in my for-sale listing. I had a new sensor pad available, it sold immediately. The other pad at $65 is a bargain, but it requires some soldering skills to repair it. A track student of mine went to grab the slider bar to adjust the passenger seat but instead, or in addition, grabbed a handful of the pad's wires and pulled some of the connections loose. I'm confident it can be fixed, but without a Camaro to test it in I can't do it.

Another question, how to secure the wires and devices? I used tie-wraps in most instances. I used Gorilla tape for the seat position sensor, worked fine. For the Passenger Presence Computer & Electronics I cut the mount from an old seat and used it to attach the computer to the seat supports. The mount is available with the computer I have for sale as you can see in the photo. The pad sits under the race seat cushion which I held in place with bungy cords.

The factory seats once removed are a good roadmap of where everything goes and what gets plugged into what. Once unbolted, the big black electrical connector needs to be unplugged from the floor after sliding part of the housing away from the connector, (see my photo) and out they come.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:11 PM   #8
aZL1
Indie

Thumbs up

Receiving a number of questions on the used & modified passenger presence pad, particularly its condition. Additional info below.

I opened-up the passenger-occupant sensor pad, and there's one obvious wire that needs resoldering, see below. It may be the only one that needs resoldering (again, I no longer own a Camaro so I can't test it). Otherwise, there are additional connections underneath the three red pieces of tape, any of which may need soldering touch-up. The tricky part when doing this originally is you need to etch away the vinyl-like covering of the copper traces (I used an Exacto knife) and then very carefully solder the wires to the copper tracings. The one obvious wire that needs reconnection needs more copper tracing exposed. This physical setup allows the sensor pad electrical connection to come-out the front of a race seat to make the computer connection, whereas the factory side location is unworkable with most race seats.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:12 PM   #9
Demonic2SS

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS SC+Cam
are the planted seat brackets still available?
Demonic2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:18 PM   #10
xdamxincx
Banned

Drives: zl1 blk
i will take the seat brackets .. whats ur paypal info ?
xdamxincx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:28 AM   #11
aZL1
Indie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonic2SS View Post
are the planted seat brackets still available?
Planted seat mounts/brackets ^^^^ ---- SOLD ---- ^^^^

Last edited by aZL1; 04-17-2021 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:58 PM   #12
redrum_maro
Runs on caffeine

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
is there a part number for the extended length seatbelt receptacle?
redrum_maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:30 AM   #13
aZL1
Indie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum_maro View Post
is there a part number for the extended length seatbelt receptacle?
Probably there is but I don't know the part number. My EL seatbelt receptacle doesn't show a part number.
Old 02-04-2024, 04:11 PM   #14
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Did all of the stuff sell???
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote