BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-20-2019, 10:24 AM   #15
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Drives: 2018 2SS, Black, A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG_Coupe88 View Post
Hello guys!

Long story short, my last daily was my beloved OG M2. I was shopping used F80 M3's , M4's, Corvette Grand Sports, SS 1LE , GT350's . I have been a BMW guy the last 5 years, but in past years I dabbled in different brands, such as Honda, Mitsubishi, Dodge to name a few, but I am really just a car guy, track rat, and autoX'er who appreciates any purist machine, so I am not a total fanboy of any brand. Well I went and checked out what seemed to be the only SS 1LE in a Chevy dealer that I could find in the San Diego area.

I am the proud owner of a Summit White 2020 SS 1LE. Man this thing is a hell of a package for what I paid. I preferred the 2018 fascia to the 2019 and really like what they did to the 2020 fascia, I am in love. Here she is! 322 miles on it today!

For good measure here is the old M2, and my E36 M3 track car that is still being tracked almost every month. Man I cannot wait to track the SS 1LE.

Thanks for viewing!
Congrats, she is a bea-ut! Might consider her name spelling as SStorm. Or SStorm-LE. maybe custom plates to that effect … lol
Eric10905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:54 AM   #16
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_ View Post
This what the spacers look like if the dealer forgot to remove them in the PDI. If they are still there, you just have to jack the car up to take the pressure off the coils and they should release pretty easily, but be sure to keep them somewhere you can find them in case you decide to trailer your car to the track or need it towed:
GM needs to do better at letting their dealer network know the importance of taking those out. It's actually kind of surprising how well the car behaves with them on. They were left on my car as well. At least if they leave them on then you have some nice riser blocks if you ever need them.

Is this just a SS 1LE issue, or do other models of Camaros ride to the dealers with them installed? I'm guessing the front splitter is what makes them necessary?

Congrats OP! The SS 1LE is quite an impressive car. I got mine about a week and a half ago.

Last edited by JROC; 11-20-2019 at 06:58 PM. Reason: I spelled "then" instead of "them" about 4 times. Lol
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:27 PM   #17
porkchop express

Drives: 2020 Camaro ss 1le
I'm curious to see how the comparison ends up between the m2 and camaro? I really wanted an M2 but the money didn't make sense. My 1le is a awesome machine.
porkchop express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:33 PM   #18
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop express View Post
I'm curious to see how the comparison ends up between the m2 and camaro? I really wanted an M2 but the money didn't make sense. My 1le is a awesome machine.
On a track the M2 is no match.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:31 PM   #19
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
great choice! I had a bmw 128i for 9 years before getting my ss 1le. I test drove a M2 and 1le back to back. Going in, i thought the M2 would be the car i would get, but even on a simple test drive i could tell there was a special subjective feel about the Camaro that the M2 didn't have. It was like the Camaro was more BMW than the BMW. I still really liked the M2 though. Wish the Camaro has more of the usability the M2 had.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:01 PM   #20
JG_Coupe88

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE, 1999 E36 M3
TrackClub, thanks for all the additional insight! Yea I've been following the break-in process and looked through the manual, I've also started reading through that thread, so thank you for that as well! Wow the different modes possible are so comprehensive. Rev-match is awesome when I'm feeling lazy, but I did not know that it had no-lift shift! Also, I think it is awesome that it is possible to adjust front camber without an aftermarket camber/caster plates.

Eric10905, haha I like that, that's a great idea for the plate!

JROC, yeah I can't believe I was driving around with that ish on. Congrats on yours as well. This car is impressing me more every day.

porkchop, Yes the M2 is no match performance-wise, even the M2C isn't. At VIR Lightning Lap, SS 1LE did 2.54.8 , M2C 2.59.7, OG M2 3.01.9. On some shorter courses it is closer of course. I can tell you that tracking my M2 was a delight, thing is so damn fun. Anyone here would enjoy the hell out of it even if they aren't the fastest things lapping, and they certainly don't feel slow, that instant torque is great. I have tracked a couple of M4 competition packs and M2 is definitely funner/more enjoyable. so fun factor 10/10. Great and damn handsome little driver's car. But boy I can't wait to lap this 1LE around my Socal tracks.

Hops, funny you say that because in R&T's 2019 M2C vs SS 1LE comparison they say that the 1LE is an E36 M3 for modern times haha and I happen to have one of those too.

Guys the stupid spring spacers are off, Storm looks much better! Glad that this forum seems to have some informative, friendly enthusiasts, you know how some car communities can suck.

Last edited by JG_Coupe88; 11-20-2019 at 09:16 PM. Reason: wording error.
JG_Coupe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:16 PM   #21
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
JG, great comments

Speaking of manuals also read the High Performance Supplement as it has some good info on the 1LE specifically. Ignore GM recommended track alignment settings and simply max out the fronts and then match the rears per my comment.

Also, if ya like to read on the Camaro recommended oil choices check out my sticky in Maintenance section. It is all summarized there. Other than SRF brake fluid, personally ive been using GM recommended fluids per GM manual incl Valvoline 5W40 Dexos2 oil. But the new Mobil1 that the car now comes with from a factory is also dual purpose street/track certified at 0W40 Dexos2.

Normally GM does a decent job on owner's manuals, but Camaro's is a bit of a mess...
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:24 PM   #22
JG_Coupe88

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
JG, great comments

Speaking of manuals also read the High Performance Supplement as it has some good info on the 1LE specifically. Ignore GM recommended track alignment settings and simply max out the fronts and then match the rears per my comment.

Also, if ya like to read on the Camaro recommended oil choices check out my sticky in Maintenance section. It is all summarized there. Other than SRF brake fluid, personally ive been using GM recommended fluids per GM manual incl Valvoline 5W40 Dexos2 oil. But the new Mobil1 that the car now comes with from a factory is also dual purpose street/track certified at 0W40 Dexos2.

Normally GM does a decent job on owner's manuals, but Camaro's is a bit of a mess...
Yep I read that one too haha. I will definitely check that sticky out as well, you are helping me stay informed ahead of what's coming my friend ! Can't wait til my break-in period is through..til then, more seat time in the M3.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:07 PM   #23
CrazyCatGuy
I'm the cats pajamas baby

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
I did not know that it had no-lift shift! .
Congrats on welcoming Storm to your stable! Looks great in white also!

Also, I had the thirlling pleasure of executing NLS the first time today messing around with a bolt on 5.0 and it truly was a fantastic experience. Insane how quick the shifting is while using it.

Enjoy!
Old 11-21-2019, 04:01 PM   #24
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Hope you're cooler than that other BMW to Camaro owner.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #25
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Looks great!

I've had mine a little over a year, a few things I'd do right off the bat:

- Alignment

- Brake Lines and Fluid if tracking

- If the brake dust bothers you, Powerstop Z26, save stock pads for track.

- ACS rockers/side skirts and rock guards.

- PPF front end, rockers, bottom of doors, in front of rear wheel up to arch, below trunk opening. I'd use double thickness PPF in front of rear wheels.

- Lift blocks that clamp onto the pinch welds, I just put 4 of them on. Lifting the car with the recessed pinch welds is a pita, make sure you don't use the aluminum cross members.

- Blendmount and mirror tap for radar detector.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:42 PM   #26
FH212

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Congrats on the new ride!! I am normally not a white fan, but on the 1LE it looks really really good.......
2001 Mecham Trans Am #3 - 7.0L LS1
FH212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:07 PM   #27
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Thank you so much! I don't usually like white that much but she is stunning! Her name is Storm. I gotta admit, the masterpiece of a 6.2L V8 engine mated with that gearbox with short precise throws feels better then any modern BMW I've driven and I've driven many of the modern M's on street, track, Autobahn, ect. The M2 was so much damn fun, so playful and balanced, a little rocket, of course the cabin had better materials, the car is beautiful and such a delight. But in comparison the SS 1LE is more hardcore, all the track/performance data is nice, and I LOVE having Android Auto. Along with all that the 1LE package includes quite honestly it is more performance for less money.

I'm not having much of a problem with the visibility, used to it already. Just a considerable difference at first with the size difference from my small M's, but once I drive it, the car encloses around me and it feels great.
Congrats on the 1LE - love the 2020, and I'm sure you will too! One thing I wish I had was the rear camera mirror. How do you like it?

I came from a BMW 2 series as well. Mine was the M235i, not the M2, but still a pretty dang nice car. 6-speed manual too. Agree about the BMW interior materials being better, but I have the 2SS and the difference is not all that much to be honest. My Camaro has it all over the BMW as far as technology and features (heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, premium stereo, dual zone climate with sync, Head-Up Display) all standard on the 2SS!

One thing the BMW did have over the Camaro for sure was the outward visibility. Like you and everyone else says, you get used to it, but the Camaro is not the easiest car to drive around tight areas like parking lot curbs, etc. Yes, it all disappears on the race track and the car is a total racecar, but the crappy visibility is my one and only complaint about it in everyday driving situations.

But, in the all-important driving performance category, I couldn't be more stoked about the Camaro compared to the BMW. No contest in the drama department! Power and torque everywhere. And the sound is dramatic too. I had the optional performance exhaust on the M235i, but the NPP exhaust puts it to shame and then some! The LT1 just sounds so healthy it's intoxicating.

You'll see when you get it on a road course. I'm no pro, but first time at Lime Rock with the 1LE I beat my previous lap time in the BMW by over 2 seconds. And the 1LE was on a semi-wet track that day. Again, no contest.

Loved my BMW for the comfort, sportiness, luxury, and I hate to admit it but I also liked Roundel badge - but the brash Camaro is just a different beast that doesn't care about the prestige of the BMW - it eats it for lunch.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:15 PM   #28
JG_Coupe88

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatGuy View Post
Congrats on welcoming Storm to your stable! Looks great in white also!

Also, I had the thirlling pleasure of executing NLS the first time today messing around with a bolt on 5.0 and it truly was a fantastic experience. Insane how quick the shifting is while using it.

Enjoy!
Thank you!

Must be strange at first, power shifting like that while keeping your foot down. I'll be sure to give it a try later on !