Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-22-2019, 01:49 PM   #1
What’s “Fifty” mean?

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS (50th Anniversary)
Muffler Delete. Drone or no Drone?

I've seen multiple videos and multiple posts about this, but nobody can seem to really nail it down. Many say there is no Drone with a secondary cat delete and muffler delete. Others say its unbearable.

I do not have NPP exhaust. I have already deleted the secondary cats. Is there any rhyme or reason to determining whether or not a A8, NON NPP, LT1 Camaro will drone after removing this suitcase from underneath the rear?
What’s “Fifty” mean? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
Blackmonba6Gen
BLUPRINT_1LE

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue SS 1LE
I believe the drone is not determined if you have Npp or Non-Npp. It based on the more like sound waves and frequency. at 2000-2500 RPMs, you will hear the exhaust much louder than at other times. This can even be compounded more by traveling through the floor and into the cabin of the car. I have the AWE Track setup which is a muffler delete with my secondary cats still installed and to me it sound like an amplified fuse pull with the valves open. If you have the secondary cats remove.. i have heard there is drone with my setup but I haven't removed my secondary cats yet to hear it myself.

IG: BLUPRINT_1LE
YT: BLUPRINT_1LE

----------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmonba6Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:15 PM   #3
keystonemedical

Drives: 2019 ZL1 / LE , 2014 CTS V
Drone is in the ear of the beholder ..... or something like that. Ive driven cars and trucks over my lifetime with all sorts of aftermarket exhaust systems and I dont even know what drone is. I guess Ive experienced it and never new it. I think trying to determine if exhaust A has more drone then exhaust B is something that only the listener can really determine unfortunately. Thats my two cents on drone.
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:29 PM   #4
What’s “Fifty” mean?

I had Cooks mufflers on my G8 GT and the drone was unbelievable. Went with solo and the J pipe fixed that. I guess I'll end up going with some sort of axle back on this car. I plan to have the headers, CAI and tune done in January, but I'd really like to add some sound now without spending $800.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:51 PM   #5
keystonemedical

Drives: 2019 ZL1 / LE , 2014 CTS V
Quote:
Originally Posted by What’s “Fifty” mean? View Post
I had Cooks mufflers on my G8 GT and the drone was unbelievable. Went with solo and the J pipe fixed that. I guess I'll end up going with some sort of axle back on this car. I plan to have the headers, CAI and tune done in January, but I'd really like to add some sound now without spending $800.

Im going axleback myself. I intially thought of going with a catback of some sort, but, I dont want to gamble with the warranty if something happened, atleast til I get some more miles on it. I read that your safe warranty wise with a catback but, who knows. Id like to keep the NPP option so I was leaning towards S Works, but the AWE systems really sound good IMO, but they dont support the NPP, so, Im on the fence myself. Definately need more sound though.
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:04 PM   #6
What’s “Fifty” mean?

I do like the AWE sound. I wonder, Does the back bumper/diffuser vary between the NPP and non-NPP? With the difference in-between the Quad tip and single tips? Most of the axle back systems I've seen are quad tips. I wonder if they require cutting the diffuser to make it wider so the tips will fit?
Old 11-22-2019, 04:28 PM   #7
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
get in my car. I'll show you what drone is. Or buy your own MRT exhaust.

drone occurs during cruise or low acceleration.

Now...when i get on the gas, i highly doubt there is a V6 that sounds more angry and
growly without that annoying pop crackle tin-can rasp crap than mine.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:52 PM   #8
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
A pure muffler delete has an awful tone, sounds like a dump truck with a ratty muffler. Your Camaro deserves better.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:40 PM   #9
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by What’s “Fifty” mean? View Post
I do like the AWE sound. I wonder, Does the back bumper/diffuser vary between the NPP and non-NPP? With the difference in-between the Quad tip and single tips? Most of the axle back systems I've seen are quad tips. I wonder if they require cutting the diffuser to make it wider so the tips will fit?
The NPP exhaust will always have quad tips due to the valves. The diffuser will be different to accommodate the two tips per side. If you are going from dual tip to quad tip you have two options...cut the diffuser or buy a new one designed for the quad tips. I have the AWE touring dual tip axleback because I did not have the NPP and I didn’t want to buy a new diffuser or cut my current one because I think that’s a pretty ugly way of doing it. I like the look of the quad tips though! If you have the NPP exhaust and want to keep it, AWE systems are not an option. BTW, I got my AWE Touring axleback from RDP Store for just over $600 shipping included. Sound is incredible and there is absolutely no drone at any RPM.

Last edited by caSStro18; 11-22-2019 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Added more info.
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:39 PM   #10
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
I don't intend on doing anything to this car, at least not yet. The first muffler delete I did was on my '96 Corvette. It sounded fantastic, except for low rpm take offs, then yes, between 2000 and 3000 rpm it sounded horrible. Drone is simply soundwaves creating vibrations that cause more sound waves. It's not volume thing, it's essentially feels like your brain is vibrating, and maybe it is.

The fix was a resonated x-pipe. In the Corvette there was a hollow straight through resonator this amplified the harsher tones and the vibration. The reso x-pipe muffled the sound a bit and x-pipe created a cancellation of the harsh tones. The result was a drone free roar of bald eagles.

Did the same set up on my 5th Gen LS3. Sound was perfect, nice low rumble at low rpm and allows that pure muscle sound at WOT.

Honestly, I kind of like the stock sound on my non npp exhaust...but maybe I'm just too old for this sh!t.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:00 PM   #11
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
I'll admit I'm new to the gen 5 LT engines, but with LS and other higher compression small blocks, I think a muffler delete sounds great at idle, amazing (and loud) at WOT, but downright terrible in between. Drone in my opinion isn't that bad. I think where the drone comes from is the attempt by the muffler at cutting down the volume and delivering a nice tone. Inevitably you're gonna get some drone at some point in the band. How much and where is based on the brand. Just my unscientific opinion.

Quote:

Yes, different bumper/diffusers. AWE makes their touring axle and cat backs in either dual or quad tip, intended for whatever bumper/diffuser you have. I think it's interesting the GM had separate parts for the NPP/non NPP. Easy to make NPP with dual tips, EXTREMELY easy to make NON NPP quad tip. Maybe there's an answer out there.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:17 PM   #12
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by keystonemedical View Post
Drone is in the ear of the beholder ..... or something like that. Ive driven cars and trucks over my lifetime with all sorts of aftermarket exhaust systems and I dont even know what drone is. I guess Ive experienced it and never new it. I think trying to determine if exhaust A has more drone then exhaust B is something that only the listener can really determine unfortunately. Thats my two cents on drone.
Drone usually occurs around 1500rpm and it fills the cabin up with a low frequency resonance that is annoying. It even cancels the bass out in the speakers.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:41 AM   #13
STEVE41

Drives: 2016 SS
no drone at all. so quite during cruising speed in top gear, i hear the tire noise a lot more

Last edited by STEVE41; 11-23-2019 at 06:22 AM.
STEVE41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:54 PM   #14
Nitefall17

Drives: Camaro 1SS A8 Vert
AWE Track no drone, have second cats in place.
Nitefall17 is offline   Reply With Quote