Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-18-2019, 12:57 PM   #1
Mighty Mouce
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Corvette Will get manual with a Drive by Wire Clutch

I say they will because I believe in optimism and I highly doubt Corvette will snub their true die hard enthusiasts performance buyers.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...l-transmission
Mighty Mouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:09 PM   #2
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
That article and the patent it references is over a year old, I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you....
Old 10-18-2019, 02:31 PM   #3
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Tremek has already stated that it will NOT be developing a manual trans for the C8, because the low volume of units likely to be sold aren't enough to justify the work involved with developing /testing a new manual trans.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:53 PM   #4
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Why manual? There is no performance gain. In fact there would be a performance loss. Is it just because some like the feel of the manual? The automatic would walk all over the manual no matter how good the driver of the manual is. I think Chevy cares more about performance and also knows that the cost of putting in a manual would not reap any financial benefits. Automatics far out-sell manuals. If putting a manual tranny in the C8 would make the company money they’d do it in a heartbeat. Fact is, they would not make any money so they won’t do it. I’m sure there will be people out there who will convert them, but Chevy won’t do it.

But hey...maybe they will surprise everyone and do it anyway.
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:43 PM   #5
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
I Agree... ^^^^

Plus the other supercar companies out there have shown now that the manual is a dying breed. Low sales, slower performance and as said in the end the automatic can make every shift every time with no issues. On a manual you have to worry about someone missing the money shift which then leaves the possibility of engine damage that the manufacture is stuck repairing unless they can prove a missed shift caused the damage.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:46 PM   #6
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
It's only a matter of time before this becomes a reality. A dual clutch transmission already IS a manual transmission. This would not require a new transmission. If you hooked it up to a "clutch pedal" and a "stick" then you could feasibly control it by wire, effectively simulating a traditional manual transmission, with an automatic option if you wanted it. It's the best of both worlds. There would be a huge market for this, because it would give you the ability to have a real manual transmission whenever you wanted it, then switch it to automatic for the commute, etc. Sort of like NPP exhaust for transmissions
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:05 PM   #7
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
It's only a matter of time before this becomes a reality. A dual clutch transmission already IS a manual transmission. This would not require a new transmission. If you hooked it up to a "clutch pedal" and a "stick" then you could feasibly control it by wire, effectively simulating a traditional manual transmission, with an automatic option if you wanted it. It's the best of both worlds. There would be a huge market for this, because it would give you the ability to have a real manual transmission whenever you wanted it, then switch it to automatic for the commute, etc. Sort of like NPP exhaust for transmissions
I've thought that companies should be doing this for years! It's the best of both worlds. You can either drive it fully manual with clutch pedal, automatic, or manual without clutch pedal. I'm sure it sounds easier than it actually is though. But it would be fun to drive as a stick sometimes!
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:53 PM   #8
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I think I read it would not fit. Get a manual while they are still around.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:33 PM   #9
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I wouldn’t count on a clutch pedal being added to the C8 Corvette! As Fraxum said get a C7 manual while they are still available if you want a clutch pedal!
Old 10-18-2019, 07:39 PM   #10
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
That article and the patent it references is over a year old, I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you....

...Manual...

....Nope ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Tremek has already stated that it will NOT be developing a manual trans for the C8, because the low volume of units likely to be sold aren't enough to justify the work involved with developing /testing a new manual trans.

Not in the plans....

Becky
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:03 AM   #11
Artryan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 , 2020 GMC AT4 Carbon Pro
I grew up in an era where if you had an automatic in your sports car, it was a POS. As a teenager, it was common to say the phrase- "Yeah, but it's an automatic" when referring to a nice car.

It's not all about performance, it's about preference. I still prefer a manual in my ZL1 (obviously) because it feels like I'm driving the car as opposed to it driving me. I'll gladly give up a few tenths in the 1/4 for the driving experience. I'm not a drag racer, so 1/4 times are just a way to measure your dick at the water cooler.

Manuals are unfortunately becoming extinct. I think a lot of it is due to the fact that cars have become so expensive, they are generally out of reach for the younger buyer that would also prefer a manual. I'd say the average age of a Corvette buyer is 55+. Older people get enjoyment from different things than younger people and buy cars for different reason many times. I probably won't want to shift when I'm in my mid-50's, and most likely won't be physically able to.
Artryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:39 AM   #12
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
First I think it’s been observed that the footwell in the C8 isn’t even wide enough for a clutch pedal. If a manual were coming there would already be room.

Second Corvettes used to be 50/50 manuals to automatics when I worked on the C5/C6. Last year it was 15% manuals.

Same thing is happening in heavy tucks. The days of the double clutching 18 speed are quickly disappearing, being replaced by automated manuals and automatics. One, electronically managing shifting improves FE and second with the huge driver shortage they are easier to drive.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:00 AM   #13
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artryan View Post
Older people get enjoyment from different things than younger people and buy cars for different reason many times. I probably won't want to shift when I'm in my mid-50's, and most likely won't be physically able to.
Well - don't sell yourself short! I'm 64 and I still prefer a manual for my fun car and I can shift just as well as when I was 16.

I also agree with your comments about driving experience. I prefer the driving experience with a manual. We are a dying breed.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:26 AM   #14
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by caSStro18 View Post
Why manual? There is no performance gain. In fact there would be a performance loss. Is it just because some like the feel of the manual? The automatic would walk all over the manual no matter how good the driver of the manual is.
For many people, it's not about a few tenths of a second difference. It's the connection you get with the car when driving a manual.

I understand it's old school and that's what I am. From my first Z28 in 1974, every car I've ever owned has been a manual.

I have a life-long 68 year old friend with several BMWs in his garage as well as multiple motorcycles - a true enthusiast. We went to a Cars & Coffee last weekend and he told me he would buy the new C8 in a heartbeat if only it came with a manual.

But Chevy and other manufacturers are going away from manuals because the market is just not buying them. Old school enthusiasts like me are not a big enough market share for them to worry about.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote