Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 02-14-2017, 03:31 PM   #1
blahzay

Drives: Camaro SS
Exclamation Flowmaster 40 Series?

So I stopped by a local muffler shop and told them I wanted a "beefier" sound for my 2017 SS (without the NPP system). Asked about Borla but they said they didnt carry that brand but they did have Flowmaster 40 series. They said they could install those and eliminate my resonators. He said it would run me $250 out the door.

First off, I don't know about the exhaust systems, second I dont know about the pros/cons of eliminating my resonators and third I dont know if thats a good price.

Can someone give some feedback? Would this "sound" a lot better than stock?
blahzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #2
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Flowmaster 40's will sound a lot better than stock since they will be a bit louder and much deeper. Outlaws, Super 10's are the loudest and deepest.

You don't have any resonators, you have four cats (Two primary and two secondary). You don't really need to delete your secondary cats unless you want it super loud. If warranty is an issue for you, don't touch the cats since the dealer may give you sh*t for it.

The price is pretty low as those mufflers are $75-$100 each. Then most shops will charge about $100-$120 to delete the secondary cats and replace it with a straight pipe (If they are going to do it since most shops won't touch the cats). They're probably re-using your exhaust tips and just replacing the muffler.

Search the V8 section for exhaust options, tons of info on here
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:53 PM   #3
blahzay

Dang...thanks a lot! Yeah I told them I would keep my original tips. And yeah I dont want to mess with my warranty so ill leave my cats in place. Just hope this sounds good because stock sounds too silent for me.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #4
blahzay

I dont have the NPP system so with the 40 series, will there be MUCH difference than stock or would I need to eliminate at least the primary cats?

Ive seen videos with both the 40 series and the super 10s but I really like how the 40 series sounded. Issue was, it was like on an old malibu and not a new camaro.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:07 PM   #5
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahzay View Post
I dont have the NPP system so with the 40 series, will there be MUCH difference than stock or would I need to eliminate at least the primary cats?

Ive seen videos with both the 40 series and the super 10s but I really like how the 40 series sounded. Issue was, it was like on an old malibu and not a new camaro.
Oh man, almost anything will sound better than stock if you don't have NPP. I like Flowmasters in general since I'm not into a loud, raspy sound for a V8 and they usually sound deep and rumbles.

Here's a few with a V8 SS
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...2016+Camaro+SS
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:18 PM   #6
17txcamaross

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Flowmaster or any other type of weld in muffler will be your most inexpensive option to get a louder exhaust.

DO NOT TOUCH YOUR CATS! I say this because you are in California and will NOT pass emissions solely based on their visual check.

I just received my Borla S-Type exhaust system this week and I am in the hopes it will be loud enough.

I am personally not a fan of Flowmaster due to the drone their systems create. Not sure on a Camaro, but on my V8 Tundra the Super 40s had a horrible drone.

Since you do not have NPP I would consider looking into some of the full exhaust systems. Possibly a full cat back system. MBRP makes a straight pipe system that works if you do not have AFM or NPP.

Hope some of this is helpful. Good luck and enjoy the car.
17txcamaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:40 AM   #7
gdgraph

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
You get what you pay for, the flowmaster set up is cheap but it's risky to weld on a muffler because it complicates things if you don't like it and need to swap it out.

I hear these systems have a lot of drone so I would be careful. I too went with the S-Type, Borla is expensive but you get what you pay for, there's no drone, it's quiet in a high gear, and loud when you step on it. It may not have the deepest tone, but it's about as deep of a tone you can go with if you don't want to deal with drone.

Also, our cars do not have a separate resonator, we have two banks of cats so they were probably talking about a secondary cat delete which could mess with your emissions. Also this is just my opinion (not trying to sound mean), but I would be hesitant to trust a shop that didn't know the difference between the two if this is what they do every day, it would suck if they chopped off your second bank of cats and a year latter you had issues passing emissions.

Here's my set up:
gdgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:05 PM   #8
StormTrooperCamaro

Drives: 2017 Summit White 1SS
Sorry to jack the thread a bit, but Anybody know if the 40s are louder than the npp
StormTrooperCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:25 AM   #9
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
I had Flowmasters on my '15 GT. They were a bit too loud for me and droned some. They came with the car (used). I would not have purchased them.

I got a Borla S-type for my SS to replace my non-NPP. With installation about $1K but well worth it. Zero drone. Sound incredible yet never to that annoying loud point and look great. Yes, it costs more but to me, well worth it.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:30 AM   #10
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooperCamaro View Post
Sorry to jack the thread a bit, but Anybody know if the 40s are louder than the npp
I'm sure they are.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:04 PM   #11
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
I had Flowmasters on my '15 GT. They were a bit too loud for me and droned some. They came with the car (used). I would not have purchased them.
it has been my experience that if one does not want the car to

A) sound like a farm truck; or
B) sound literally like every other modified car newer than 2001

then one must deal with drone. if i close my eyes and listen to that video posted, i couldn’t tell you what car it is by sound alone. it sounds like every challenger, charger, mustang and corvette i find that has aftermarket exhaust. very shallow normal driving and simply annoying at wot. nothing about it sounds exotic, special or “good”.

the exhaust companies discovered the basic bitch formula and they all use the same one. only making them raspier and more obnoxious with loudness.

there are a million muffler choices and tons of room to get them in there. god forbid it might drone like a 450+ hp v8 and limits a conversation to hand gestures on a wot 1-4 pull.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:40 PM   #12
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
it has been my experience that if one does not want the car to

A) sound like a farm truck; or
B) sound literally like every other modified car newer than 2001

then one must deal with drone.
LOL. My SS sounds awesome....all I care about. Drone sucks. Period.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:44 PM   #13
streetyme

Drives: 2016 2SS nav mag ride npp a8
I have a Flowmaster American Thunder NPP axle back and have not noticed the drone . The exhaust is quite a bit deeper than stock.
Weld Laguna 17x10 18x5

2006 mustang gt Magnuson Livernois stage 2 heads stage 2 blower cams dynatech headers 4.10's Circle D convertor 533/511bs) (9.8lbs)
streetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #14
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Bottom line if you already have the factory dual mode exhaust then I haven't heard one exhaust system yet that sounds $500 or $600 better than whats already on there. In fact the sound differences are minimal at best. Throwing away a perfectly good exhaust sys. unless you just have money to throw away makes no sense to me.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote