Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-17-2019, 01:53 PM   #1
ToeKnee Sea

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Talk Me Out of Buying a Corvette

I currently have a 2018 1SS 1LE and have been shopping the C7 pretty heavily over the past few months. There are great deals to be had and can get into a new Corvette and keep my payment the same.
I like the 1LE, but have not become in love with it in the 16 months I've owned it. I love the performance and handling. I do about 5 HPDE Track events a year. I do not like much about the interior except the Recaro seats and I don't love the 1LE wheels (I don't like black or very dark wheels).
Thing is, I don't really have a feel for whether it would be an upgrade or not. I think I would have to go for a Grand Sport. The Z51 seems like too much of the same thing.
Anybody switch to a Corvette or buy one in addition to their Camaro?
ToeKnee Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:24 PM   #2
RobbyBeefcake87

It's a different experience for sure. If you can handle the lack of back seats and lower ride height then go for it. The Targa top is pretty damn cool. Also a grandsport and z51 will feel about the same in terms of pull so go for a z06 if you're fiending for more speed, and honestly on the street their handling feels very comparable. I did a whole comparison of my GS c7 vs my ss 1le in detail in another thread, but performance wise on the street they're pretty comparable, gs obviously more so at 10/10ths . Infotaiment on the vette is not as good imo but it scrolls down which is neat lol and the rest of the interior is definitely composed of better materials over all, but the things you touch on the 1le feel just as good and the recaros on the 1le are great imo. Vette undoubtedly comes with Vette exclusivity.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.

Last edited by RobbyBeefcake87; 09-17-2019 at 02:51 PM.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:34 PM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
c8 or bust
Old 09-17-2019, 04:10 PM   #4
ToeKnee Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
It's a different experience for sure. If you can handle the lack of back seats and lower ride height then go for it. The Targa top is pretty damn cool. Also a grandsport and z51 will feel about the same in terms of pull so go for a z06 if you're fiending for more speed, and honestly on the street their handling feels very comparable. I did a whole comparison of my GS c7 vs my ss 1le in detail in another thread, but performance wise on the street they're pretty comparable, gs obviously more so at 10/10ths . Infotaiment on the vette is not as good imo but it scrolls down which is neat lol and the rest of the interior is definitely composed of better materials over all, but the things you touch on the 1le feel just as good and the recaros on the 1le are great imo. Vette undoubtedly comes with Vette exclusivity.
I love what the car can do, it has a lot to do with the interior I think. Fake leather, hard plastics, and all black - no other choices. The seats save it. I do like the dashboard electronics very much.
ToeKnee Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:28 PM   #5
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
What you'll pay for a grand sport, you could get a C8 for which will probably outperform it in all areas.

I think Vette's are cool and test drove a base C7 before getting my SS. What I didn't like about the Vette:
1-Noisy on the freeway, tons of tire/road noise.
2-Targa top kind of worthless. The wind buffeting with the roof off is really bad. They also tend to squeak over time.

I just can't see spending the $ on a C7 GS, when you can get a ZL1 for that and have a more comfortable car.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:33 PM   #6
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
At the limit the Corvette is not as confident inspiring in the rear-end. It is much snappier/twitchy in the rear compared to the Gen 6 Camaro

Corvette for lighter weight, a little quicker acceleration, and center of gravity.

SS 1LE for at the limit type of driving, it doesn't have that "I'll bite you" character at the limit in the rear as the Corvette's do

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:49 PM   #7
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
If you're coming from a SLE, then the only Vette that would feel like a definite upgrade will probably be either a C7 Z06 or the C8. Another upgrade worth mentioning is the ZL1 as there are lots of deals on those also. From what I have seen you can get a used 17-19 ZL1 for somewhere in the area of $48K - $55K depending on year/miles/options. A used ZLE would be slightly more. You can get a C7 Z06 for around $60K. And of course, a 1LT Z51 with MRC would run you around $67K. A Base 2LT will be around $67K also. Performance wise they'd all just about be in the same neighborhood except for top speed which the ZL1 and Z06 would take. But the C8 will probably handle much better as well as having the freshest look. Outside of those choices I think you'd pretty much be stepping sideways and not forward. But if you do not go for a Z06, ZL1, or C8 then I would go no lower than the C7 GS.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:55 AM   #8
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
As mentioned by MT several times the newer Alpha platform on the 6th gen Camaro fells more stable on the road specially on the ZL1 VS the Z06. SS1LE are also amazing cars very closely compared to the Z51 C7 in performance.
On my own experience the reability of my 5th gen Camaro ZL1 and my 6th gen Camaro SS was far superior to my troblesome C7 Corvette Stingray Z51.
Only the exterior and interior looks of the C7 Corvette are way superior to any Camaro and the low driving position feeling on the Corvette is an amazing experience, but the Camaro feels more comfortable.
Corvette maintenance cost always would be higher compared to the Camaro.

Best balanced performance Corvette is the GS or better yet get the newest ME DCT C8.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:38 AM   #9
Move'n Up

Drives: 17 Z06/Z07, 17 2SS Fifty, Ram 2500
I love my '17 C7 manual 7 speed Z06 with the Z07 package. The Magnetic Ride Control (MRC) in Tour mode makes the car very compliant for around town driving. The visibility in the C7 is far better than in the Camaro. The interior and quality of the leather is better in the C7. The electronics are pretty much the same, I have the larger Navi/Infotainment system in both cars. Using the steering wheels controls is almost 100% identical except for the cruise control on/off and heated steering wheel. My '17 2SS Fifty is my daily and because of that has the 8 speed auto. You do sit low but not as low as the vette so getting in and out is a little easier but not by a large margin. Comparing performance isn't fair because the SS is no match for a Z06/Z07. You would have to compare to the ZL1 to get a good test.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:09 PM   #10
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
c8 or bust

This right here! As much as I like the C7 (mainly the GS), and despite some REALLY good deals on them right now I won't even consider a Vette unless it's a C8. The C8 is just such a huge improvement in nearly every way, it's truly a REVOLUTIONARY change and has taken all the luster off the C7 for me.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #11
Clam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
I would just wait for the C8
Clam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:52 AM   #12
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
No one has to talk you out of anything. And you don't have to wait for the C8. Grab the awesome deals available on the C7, you already know you want it.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:44 AM   #13
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
What you'll pay for a grand sport, you could get a C8 for which will probably outperform it in all areas.

I think Vette's are cool and test drove a base C7 before getting my SS. What I didn't like about the Vette:
1-Noisy on the freeway, tons of tire/road noise.
2-Targa top kind of worthless. The wind buffeting with the roof off is really bad. They also tend to squeak over time.

I just can't see spending the $ on a C7 GS, when you can get a ZL1 for that and have a more comfortable car.
It is yet to be determined whether the C8 will be improved w/r/t tire and wind noise, but yes I agree with you about wind noise in the camaro... my Z vert has relatively very little wind noise at highway speeds. I think a lot of it, particularly tire noise, has to do with the higher belt line in the camaro.

The C8 won't be available for ~6 months. It and the ZL1 cost more. You can get a GS at a pretty good discount right now.
Attached Images

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:42 AM   #14
HighIron

Drives: 2024 2SS Summit White
Pure sentimentality:

The Camaro needs all the sales help it can get to survive as a marque, going forward.

The Corvette will always be around no matter what. Hell, they'd sooner quit making SUVs than the Corvette, such is its power of a "halo car".
HighIron is offline   Reply With Quote