Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-30-2019, 10:45 PM   #43
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
most wide bands need to be calibrated periodically. check the instructions that came with it.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:24 AM   #44
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
I did, they say it isnt needed, but maybe I should just In case.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:57 PM   #45
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Booher, I seem to be right behind you on this header project! However, I can use my wife's car if need be.

Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm in almost the same boat as Booher.
However, I have a few questions which may help others new to this HP Tuner tuning.

I took my car to a Performance shop to have the AWE and Kooks connected.
I asked him if he could tune the car also since I just installed the headers, but no CEL yet.

He mentioned he could, but I needed to purchase 3 credits...I know nothing about this HP Tuner stuff and what these credits mean/do.
He said the car is going to be running lean, so do not go WOT until it is tuned, my engine will not appreciate it and valves may start to melt.

Is this true? Do headers make the system run lean?

Another tuner told me this, "Your engine won't be lean at all. Fuel mixture is largely dictated by the MAF, all air flows through it. Any performance improvements from the headers will result in more air flow which will result in more fuel".
So who's telling the truth here?
I feel like I'm watching the news!

Anyway, how is it that Booher needs 4 credits or 5 and I only need 3?
I don't have the wide band sensor, is that the reason why?
I'm a manual as well, so no tranny tuning.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:41 AM   #46
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRKLL View Post
Booher, I seem to be right behind you on this header project! However, I can use my wife's car if need be.

Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm in almost the same boat as Booher.
However, I have a few questions which may help others new to this HP Tuner tuning.

I took my car to a Performance shop to have the AWE and Kooks connected.
I asked him if he could tune the car also since I just installed the headers, but no CEL yet.

He mentioned he could, but I needed to purchase 3 credits...I know nothing about this HP Tuner stuff and what these credits mean/do.
He said the car is going to be running lean, so do not go WOT until it is tuned, my engine will not appreciate it and valves may start to melt.

Is this true? Do headers make the system run lean?

Another tuner told me this, "Your engine won't be lean at all. Fuel mixture is largely dictated by the MAF, all air flows through it. Any performance improvements from the headers will result in more air flow which will result in more fuel".
So who's telling the truth here?
I feel like I'm watching the news!

Anyway, how is it that Booher needs 4 credits or 5 and I only need 3?
I don't have the wide band sensor, is that the reason why?
I'm a manual as well, so no tranny tuning.
You need 4 to tune the ECM (shown here https://www.hptuners.com/vehicles/). You will need a 5th to tune the FSCM, but you really only mess with that if you want to change how your NPP settings work (assuming you have NPP and want to change the settings).

The second guy is right. Tuning is set by the MAF and your O2 sensors 99% of the time.

Also, while I was tuning mine, I discovered headers and intake made my car run slightly rich, not lean, but it really wasn't a huge amount.
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:01 PM   #47
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux_tigerss View Post
You need 4 to tune the ECM (shown here https://www.hptuners.com/vehicles/). You will need a 5th to tune the FSCM, but you really only mess with that if you want to change how your NPP settings work (assuming you have NPP and want to change the settings).

The second guy is right. Tuning is set by the MAF and your O2 sensors 99% of the time.

Also, while I was tuning mine, I discovered headers and intake made my car run slightly rich, not lean, but it really wasn't a huge amount.
Thanks for the insight Tigerss!
I was on the Tuner School website last night and noticed I needed 4 credits, so I called the shop today and he said at the moment he thought I would only need 3...I didn't see any car needed 3, it was either 2 or 4.
My NPP has been deleted with the AWE...well at least the valves were deleted.

The Tuner School looked pretty interesting, but I can see one would have to dedicate some time to get this tuning skill right!
Old 12-03-2019, 02:50 AM   #48
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
i didnt have a wideband when i put my headers on before i was tuned but just the 12 mile ride home from the shop i did the headers in the tips were black as hell. would normally take over a 1000 miles to get that dirty.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:01 AM   #49
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booher View Post
I did, they say it isnt needed, but maybe I should just In case.

Also I believe the wide band O2 sensor needs to on(powered) all the time when the car is running or you will damage the sensor.

I have the Invovate setup and the cigarette plug never worked for me it was a grounding issue.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:18 PM   #50
Booher

So I plugged in the wideband sensor before I started driving to my data log road, and it came out perfect. So it must been because I had just plugged it in and data logged. So I'm driving my car around for work, should I have the wideband powered up everytime i drive then? I did not know that and that's very good to know lol. Moving onto the e85 tune tomorrow, woot, almost done, I think lol. The car was idling rough after my run yesterday, asked the tuner and he said to check my plug wires, and sure enough, rear passenger one popped off with a slight tug. So, make sure you have a good connection back there, at least it was a super easy fix
Old 12-04-2019, 05:18 PM   #51
Booher

So far so good, I just uploaded the e85 tune today, but it's raining, so I'm gonna wait untill tomorrow. Filling up out of your own drum is interesting. I got a plastic hose and pump, went to use it to fill up some 5 gallon cans and discovered a bunch of pin holes in the line, learn from me, if you get a plastic pump, buy new line, dont trust theirs. Then realised I didnt know how to stop the flow haha, so juggled that for a bit. I'm so glad Ethanol doeant smell as bad or linger around like regular gas does. It would smell for days then haha! Cant wait to see how it feels. Just wanted to update everyone.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:45 PM   #52
Booher

Tune is done, ted at janetty racing was a pleasure to work with. He help with all of my problems and frustrations, even after 43 emails back and forth. I highly recommend him, he is very professional, and he didnt need too many revisions at all. Once everything was finally working correctly, I think it was only 4 data logs that I had to give him, which included e85. Anyways, if anyone has any questions I feel I cam answer the basic one for ya, just hit me up. I have a dyno appointment Monday afternoon, same one that I got my stock before dyno at as well. So, I'll hopefully have some good results for everyone.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:35 PM   #53
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booher View Post
Tune is done, ted at janetty racing was a pleasure to work with. He help with all of my problems and frustrations, even after 43 emails back and forth. I highly recommend him, he is very professional, and he didnt need too many revisions at all. Once everything was finally working correctly, I think it was only 4 data logs that I had to give him, which included e85. Anyways, if anyone has any questions I feel I cam answer the basic one for ya, just hit me up. I have a dyno appointment Monday afternoon, same one that I got my stock before dyno at as well. So, I'll hopefully have some good results for everyone.
Now this post is great to read because no talk of bike riding, going to take the car someplace and all of the frustration you dealt with along the way. In the end you installed it all yourself, learned a lot and are about to reap the benefits of all of your efforts. Good job man! I’d buy you your favorite beverage and drink it with you if it was feasible.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:33 PM   #54
Booher

Cheers, I appreciate it man!