Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-12-2020, 11:38 PM   #1
Psyhamster

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Dealership took off my door.

Hey y'all. I brought my Camaro to a Chevy Dealership near me today to have the Oil Changed and one of their advisors seriously damaged it.

The advisor taking it out of the service bay launched the car off the lift (after it was lowered) and smashed the drivers door into the fender after it hit one of the beams of the lift and the wall for the service bay.

The dealer kept the car, provided me with a loaner, and is going to be repairing the damage to the door and fender, but I don't know what I should be looking for when I get it back. Is there any other damage that a door being forced backward into the fender can do?

I'm thinking of having a third party mechanic inspect it after they complete the repair to make sure everything is fine, but any insight would be appreciated.

**Update 1, Post 66, 05/14/20**
**Update 2, Post 135, 06/17/20**

Pics below:

| Mishimoto Catch Can | Roto-Fab Oiled Intake w/ Sound Tube Delete | GM Dark Tail Lights & 3rd Brake Light | JWM LED Sidemarkers | 35/5 Ceramic Tint | AWE Track Exhaust w/ Resonators & Link Pipes |

Last edited by Psyhamster; 06-17-2020 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Added link to new information.
Psyhamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:52 PM   #2
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
New door, new fender. Just make sure the door opens and closes properly with no drop or sag, and that the windows index properly.

With the metallic gray, make sure the color match is good.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:00 AM   #3
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
MY GOD!! SERIOUSLY! I’m really sorry that happened to you. There are just so many service dept. horror stories on here. A trip to the dealership for simple oil change because you care about your baby and it turned into a nightmare in no time for you. Thanks a lot for the carelessness and stupidity Mr. Service Advisor! Man, this really pisses me off and it’s not even my car.
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:15 AM   #4
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Damn! Hope your oil change was free after that!
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:19 AM   #5
EMTNLSS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Man that sucks. This is why I try to do as much as I can on my car myself. Not risking the dealer damaging something.

Current Mods: Catch Can | aFe Lowering Springs | GM 2nd Gen Splitter | Hotchkis Sway Bars | MRR FS02 Wheels | Flowmaster Exhaust | Dark Tail Lights | Diode Dynamics Sidemarkers | Roto Fab | Solar TB | PRAY Ported IM | BMR | PRAY Tune

Upcoming Mods:
EMTNLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:54 AM   #6
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
the steering wheel condom is in place, so that’s good.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:27 AM   #7
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Verify they use 100% genuine, brand new General Motors sourced parts. No third party, no used parts. Get that in writing before they take even remove the first screw. If they won’t put it in writing tell them you will take the car to a body shop of your choice who will gladly use genuine new parts and make them pay for it.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 01:36 AM   #8
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater View Post
I imagine they will replace the fender and do some body work to the door so hopefully it turns out 100%, very annoying and unfortunate. You should get something for the inconvenience too like negotiate $1000 or some future work.

When you get it home, everything should be fine this doesn't look like anything major since it likely was not a ton of brute force while moving fast. Nonetheless, I would hose it down immediately and check for any leaks even if everything looks 100% fine.
That calls for a brand new door skin, not simply repairing the door. The door frame is most likely roached where the hinges mount too.

I’d demand the following parts be replaced with genuine NEW GM parts:

Door skin
Door frame
Hinges
Complete interior door card
Fender

I’m just basing that off what I can see in the pictures. It looks like your core support is still good and the hinges just broke off of them. So those parts I listed, as new from GM, is really the only way to ensure proper fitment and gap integrity on the repair.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:45 AM   #9
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Door card assembly:

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-p...cat/doors-scat

Hinges, wiring, glass and window regulator:

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-p...ront-door-scat

Door skin or complete door - if hinge points are damaged do NOT let them “repair” the door frame at the hinge points - you are guaranteed to have fitment and alignment issues over time as the metal is now comprised. When metal bends it becomes weak. Do NOT let them tell you otherwise! Your auto indexing windows may start to not seal right over time.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-p...omponents-scat

Fender and fender components:

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-p...omponents-scat
Old 05-13-2020, 05:49 AM   #10
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I’d get a lawyer and demand a new car. The hinges didn’t just pull off the frame (core support?), they bent it. That car will never be the same, it will have fit and structural issues forever. If that makes it to CarFax (most likely will since it’s a dealer), it’s a serious dimunition of value. Sorry this happened to you but don’t let them push you around.
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:19 AM   #11
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
the steering wheel condom is in place, so that’s good.
Not even going to ask what he was doing the car to cause that to happen.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:50 AM   #12
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
I'm betting a good buffing and ceramicoat and you'll never know what happened...
Old 05-13-2020, 07:00 AM   #13
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Verify they use 100% genuine, brand new General Motors sourced parts. No third party, no used parts. Get that in writing before they take even remove the first screw. If they won’t put it in writing tell them you will take the car to a body shop of your choice who will gladly use genuine new parts and make them pay for it.
If they wouldn't put it all in writing, down to the part numbers, replacing both the fender and the entire door, then I would file the claim with my insurance, have their adjuster quote it with new OEM parts. This may give the owner a better path of recourse down the road if there are hidden issues, as the dealership, on a handshake deal, may want to play games in that regard.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:03 AM   #14
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Without close up pics, I would be concerned with the frame where the door hinges mount. Like has been said, it will never be the same. Sorry for your misfortune.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote