Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

View Poll Results: Who has experienced an oil pump failure?
2016 or earlier 20 13.79%
2017 53 36.55%
2018 67 46.21%
2019 2 1.38%
2020 2 1.38%
2021 1 0.69%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2023, 06:59 PM   #1345
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowWhite View Post
Thanks for the reply. Did you have a failure (signs of lower oil pressure) or anything noted upon removal or was it more for peace of mind?
Peace of mind
Old 03-24-2024, 07:27 AM   #1346
george
ZL1 Driver

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & BMW M3/E92
Has anyone had difficulty getting GM to replace a failed oil pump? a new thread was started with a fellow member getting pushback regarding oil pump replacement. Has GM said they would not honor warranty due to oil filter not being applied correctly or the car being tracked?
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 08:01 PM   #1347
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowWhite View Post
Good points. For about the same price as a new pump installed I can get an extended warranty (third party, platinum) that will cover the car for 8 years. Or, I could use that $ to put in a Katech pump instead if that’s the only potential weak spot. I mainly want to understand if the date range is really the gating factor or if no matter what it’s all 2017/2018 cars.

I looked at the poll results and while I recognize that not all owners are part of this forum, the numbers seem rather low for reported failures.
I was never on the bandwagon to get my pump replaced and thought everyone was crazy but after a few years I’ve changed my mind because I love this car so much. Mine is a late model ZLE built the end of 6/18. I’ve decided I’m going with a Kaytech. My extended warranty is done this October so I’ll have it done before then. You can’t get a platinum extended warranty any longer if you’re past the standard bumper to bumper if it’s through GM. What else should be done at the same time if I’m not really looking to add horsepower?
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 09:02 PM   #1348
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
I was never on the bandwagon to get my pump replaced and thought everyone was crazy but after a few years I’ve changed my mind because I love this car so much. Mine is a late model ZLE built the end of 6/18. I’ve decided I’m going with a Kaytech. My extended warranty is done this October so I’ll have it done before then. You can’t get a platinum extended warranty any longer if you’re past the standard bumper to bumper if it’s through GM. What else should be done at the same time if I’m not really looking to add horsepower?
I had a Katech put in at the dealer. My build date is 5/18, so I was worried. Make sure they check the cam chain tensioner spring. Some are slightly defective (cut too short) somehow.

I'm very glad I had the new pump installed. I never worry about being stranded or destroying my engine.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 06:19 PM   #1349
george
ZL1 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
Pauly, are you going to a Chevy dealer for the work?
Old 03-31-2024, 05:54 PM   #1350
pauly1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
Pauly, are you going to a Chevy dealer for the work?
I’m actually thinking of going to a local speed shop. Florida High performance. They have a great reputation and think the owner is a great guy. I don’t think I’m wanting to add horsepower, I don’t really race my car and I’m wanting reliability more than anything. I’ll keep this car until I can’t drive a 3 pedal car anymore. Unless it’s absolutely ridiculous to do this and not add some power. I actually also don’t want to spend a ton of money either as I have a OBS truck that also needs a few projects this year and would like to do both.
Old 03-31-2024, 07:36 PM   #1351
george
ZL1 Driver

Pauly, I am also looking for reliability. I was thinking of maybe a strengthened cam and chain. I’m having a tough time finding a reputable shop or dealership to do the work in the Baltimore area.
Old 04-01-2024, 08:01 AM   #1352
pauly1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
Pauly, I am also looking for reliability. I was thinking of maybe a strengthened cam and chain. I’m having a tough time finding a reputable shop or dealership to do the work in the Baltimore area.
We are pretty lucky here is Florida. We have a few shops that are very capable. I’m wouldn’t be opposed to a cam also.