Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-19-2017, 10:22 PM   #43
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Sorry I didn't see you in stl. I was in the Magnuson booth.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:39 AM   #44
1slowssm6

Drives: 2016 1ss m6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Keep us posted! What are your planned suspension mods? Both trailing arms are a start. Anything more to help weight transfer? On the 5th gens some have tried removing the front sway bar, but then the driving was too spooky. Helium in the front tires?
i installed bmr front cradle brace,bmr upper and lower trailing arms,bmr upper control arms,planned to hit the track friday but it rained again thats 4 tnt in a row theyve had to cancel for rain.
1slowssm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:07 AM   #45
Cdflyer

Drives: 2016 1SS 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
Sorry I didn't see you in stl. I was in the Magnuson booth.
I saw the car. My 11yr old daughter wasn't having any of the heat, and wanted to go to the Arch. We didn't hang out long. I'm not doing CamaroFest this year. Too much other stuff going on. One of these days I'll get down there.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:21 AM   #46
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Big problem with your theory is they are not trapping faster either. Not stock. Not modded.

I've been at the track same day with an m6 with almost identical mods to me. I was trapping 6 mph more on average.

The gearing and shift speed makes up for the roughly ~15 rwhp difference and then some (your 30 guess is a bit generous)
My M6 dynoed @ 429 stock and others even higher. But as you say its a range with 30 on the high end. But to defend my Internet theory the problem with the M6 in the 1/4 it spends too much time in the uphill 4th gear to get the more MPH. Even so with a good ET the MPH is not always there. MPH = HP which we know is there but we are not seeing. I hope gears come around one day.

So I call an Internet draw.

Last edited by Fraxum; 06-20-2017 at 06:31 AM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:48 AM   #47
1LEMATT
1LE enthusiast

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Been here done this. But you can benefit from my experience:
  1. Ported TB
  2. Ported Intake
  3. E85
  4. Tune
  5. Upper and Lower Trailing arms (in black)
  6. And of course DRs

That is all you need. With DRs you have an 11 second car once you get enough seat time to launch and shift the car. I have added more parts than that, but if I had it to do all over again that would be my list. And I am tempted to take off the ported MSD and LTs and sell them. Then port my stock manifold and put that back on. I would only lose 15 rw looking at my dyno.

With those mods you can easily put the car back to stock and because it looks stock you will get no hassles from the dealer.

The above M6 vs Stock A8 with DRs = Drivers race. But you will have to be the one with more seat time.
LOL, you don't need all of that. Maybe you did, but that would not be the case for most. I mean I have gone 12.2 in positive 750 DA, without even launching hard. In good air that is a tenth or more better. If I did E85 I would easily run in the 11's. Heck, with more seat time (only made six passes) I will get a tenth or more off that time.

I have three other friends with manual SS's (and about four with autos) and the differences aren't that much if the manual guy can drive, and isn't afraid to drive the car. A well driven manual with E85 and nothing else should match or in most case beat an A8. Two of the manual guys I know are running E85, one has a Nitto DR, they are both running low 11.90's. That beats the "hero" auto times on our list. Another one is running a tire, E85, ported intake, and back seat delete, and has run as quick as 11.69 in -50 DA.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:12 AM   #48
SS2017

Drives: 2SS & GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEMATT View Post
LOL, you don't need all of that. Maybe you did, but that would not be the case for most. I mean I have gone 12.2 in positive 750 DA, without even launching hard. In good air that is a tenth or more better. If I did E85 I would easily run in the 11's. Heck, with more seat time (only made six passes) I will get a tenth or more off that time.

I have three other friends with manual SS's (and about four with autos) and the differences aren't that much if the manual guy can drive, and isn't afraid to drive the car. A well driven manual with E85 and nothing else should match or in most case beat an A8. Two of the manual guys I know are running E85, one has a Nitto DR, they are both running low 11.90's. That beats the "hero" auto times on our list. Another one is running a tire, E85, ported intake, and back seat delete, and has run as quick as 11.69 in -50 DA.
I agree with all this, as well as your post in the 1/4 mile fast list about how the A8 list has gone stagnant (no 11.9x hero times) since Nov 2016, while the M6 list keeps on getting better and better with it's quickest ET's being posted recently. I actually have bested my slip I posted, and need to post my new slip...
SS2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #49
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrellford12 View Post
Finally someone with faith. I own an 6 speed. And my brother an two cousins have A8s. When I meant what's needed I was talking about bolt on wise.
OP; Fraxum is pretty spot on with what needs to be done, it's not impossible, but it's an uphill battle when the A8 car starts to mod too. Your best bet is to quietly do a mod list and keep you brother and cousins in the dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey83 View Post
All that's needed for an M6 to be faster than an auto is an owner that knows how to drive it. Yeah i said it
I Lol'd...and now that you said it, go out and kill it bro !! I am secretly an M6 kinda guy driving an A8 car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Big problem with your theory is they are not trapping faster either. Not stock. Not modded.
I agree, not trying to add insult to injury too but the M6 requires 3 shifts while the auto has to shift 4 times before the finish also.

Quote:

It's awesome to hear how well you and your friends are running, please ask them to join the forum and submit their timeslips !!!!

All of your assumptions on how the M6 stacks up against the A8 are based off of a completely stock auto car, while your manual car is pretty modified. I am really pulling for you M6 guys, but it's not as easy as seems...the fast list doesn't lie, you have your work cut out for you.

Just for reference on my track in my part of the country;

700 miles on the odom and with DR only 11.94

DR and seats removed 11.80

DR/skinnies RotoFab and seats removed 11.62 (untuned)
Old 06-20-2017, 08:54 AM   #50
GreaseMonkey83

Drives: 2016 Camaro
A lot of you seem to be ignoring the fact that almost the entire top 10 of the A8 list were runs under 500' DA, most of which were negative and some under -1000ft. Only 2 of the entire M6 list were under 500 and one of those had a 2.27 60ft. Take that into account and i think you'll see that these cars are a lot more even than what everyone has been led to believe by magazines and Lutz's track day.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:21 AM   #51
Fraxum

Quote:

I also agree about just E85 and DRs. But not everyone has enough M6 seat time to make that happen. So a little extra is needed. I don't see M6es taking over the bolton fast list. But then there are very few SS M6es that go to the track more than once. And with my list there is room to grow as your skills do. And that list makes so much sense. As long as you are tuning getting the ported stuff is a no brainer. And cheap HP.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #52
1LEMATT
1LE enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post

It's awesome to hear how well you and your friends are running, please ask them to join the forum and submit their timeslips !!!!

All of your assumptions on how the M6 stacks up against the A8 are based off of a completely stock auto car, while your manual car is pretty modified. I am really pulling for you M6 guys, but it's not as easy as seems...the fast list doesn't lie, you have your work cut out for you.
They don't do the forum thing unfortunately. They are either "too old" or "hate the BS that comes with it"...believe me, I have tried!

My car is 100% stock, and I don't consider my buddies car with just a basic E85 tune "pretty modified", but he has run 11.93 with just that...
Old 06-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #53
1LEMATT
1LE enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey83 View Post
A lot of you seem to be ignoring the fact that almost the entire top 10 of the A8 list were runs under 500' DA, most of which were negative and some under -1000ft. Only 2 of the entire M6 list were under 500 and one of those had a 2.27 60ft.
Very good point.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:39 PM   #54
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
Quote:
One thing I have noticed is the A8 list has kinda fell off...like the last top ET there was back at post 512, which was back in November of 2016. Nobody has run an 11.9x in a stock car since then. While the M6 list keeps on improving and getting better and better (even with less than stellar DA) with all it's top times coming recently, including another 12.1 just posted a couple above this post. Now, some of that is M6 drivers getting more used to their cars, but why aren't any A8 drivers getting the top times anymore? Kinda odd...
Merc gets a little testy when you hog up the 1/4 thread so I copied your post.

I went 1 time with stock tires, traction was a joke and it gave me fits tbh. I clicked off some 12.2x and left frustrated. I can't speak for anyone else, but trying to accomplish an 11 second timeslip on stock GY's doesn't do anything for me.

The bolt-on section has had a flurry of activity in the last few months, which would indicate others may have moved on also.

Keep persuading them gents to join up and post slips, I get that they may not like the drama....but timeslips don't lie and it isn't bench racing.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:18 AM   #55
Fraxum

OP, to the point others have made E85, DRs, and good driving is the secret sauce and all you need to be competitive.

HyperBlueSS is the number 1 M6 SS bolton car with a 11.708 @ 120.20 MPH. That there is what good driving does for you. I hope to join him around there once my car gets sorted, however I have all the boltons there are. So I am cheating. Also I am being a responsible member of the planet and keeping my cats.

We need gears to start matching the A8s more easily.