Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-03-2020, 08:15 AM   #7183
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Don't know how strong a Demon is 47 cars and 5 failures.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/14/...BHm6TimJN6-7N2

The GT350 rollout was less than stellar. So the way may torque GT500 using the same or just a mildly upgraded drivetrain... well I'll let you do the math and that is a 8.8 ring gear and 3.73 gear ratio for starters. The smaller the ring and the higher the ratio the weaker the gear set, assuming the housing can hold up. It is pretty obvious to me that the DCT mandated a 3.73 gear set and such a gear set at 8.8" is not strong enough and will be both prone to failure outright and generate buku heat as the gear set is too steep and internal speed is too high and lastly the deflection (flexing of metal) is way out of scope => heat failure. When dunno, question is we know Chevy has an iron clad stock racing if it breaks GM will fix it. The GT500 is probably read the fine print and it if breaks you will fix it and it ain't gonna be cheap. Look it is not like GM walks on water, for almost 2 decades GM had the weakest Vega inspired 7.5" laugh especially behind the M6, complete and total garbage. Ford's 8.8 came out on what the first 4 bbl GT at something like 180 net HP.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 05-03-2020 at 08:36 AM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:23 AM   #7184
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I bailed on the C8 for several reasons, most of which pertained to my displeasure with GM catering to people like Speed Phenom and STangMode StreetSpeed_717. But I am no longer mad at GM. I'm over it. A NA 495 HP Corvette is not going to be enough for me. I set my sights a little higher. Now I'm considering a GTR or something along those lines. We'll see what I decide in about 6 months.

Fixed it for you. STangMode seems to have no interest in a C8 aside from one being in the next lane. StreetSpeed_717 did pick up a Rapid Blue Z51. No way of knowing if he did or didn’t get preferential treatment from GM. To be honest, I doubt Speed Phenom got any special treatment. He simply ordered when the order banks opened. And as far as picking it up at Bowling Green, that’s a $5,000 check the box option. Anybody can do that. If / when I order a Z06 or Grand Sport, I’ll be doing that.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:27 AM   #7185
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
Lol.. The 92k cftp is the one that's giving Posrche level road course performance not the base, keep it real. The cftp is definately a track monster, I mean it almost went as fast as the 70k camaro zl1 1le when they've gone head to head

You keep saying the cam thing man, if Mike didn't have a cam but was running E, the same pulley as you and a tire like you he'd probably still be pulling on you lol. You seem like a cool guy, don't be a sore loser, put some cams in that thing and watch them not do anything.

You keep saying nothing stock motor can run with you but there's a stock babay 1.7L lt4 blower, stock cam, stock heads, zl1 running 9.5s.... aka the same as the fastest gt500.. and for 80k or less... weird how you ignore that. Just because you haven't raced them doesn't mean their not out there.
Only thing about cramming a DOHC....you need 4 of those bump sticks. Well, at least two if you can get around changing the exhaust cams, but I’ve never heard of that happening. They are easy to get to, so that’s a bonus, but still, that’s some expense to buy 4 of ‘em.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 05-03-2020, 08:28 AM   #7186
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Regarding the GT500, I somewhat share Iconic's philosophy of what really matters is what real people can do with them in real life. I don't care so much about straight line racing as I'm pretty obsessed with laptimes, hence the no brainer of going with a ZLE in 2019. The jury is still out on how the GT500s hold up on track days. Will they dominate even in the hands of mid to advanced level drivers lap after lap? I really do hope so. If I regularly have to point by a GT500, while passing everything else, there's a good chance I'll be trading in the ZLE for the competition. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they do in HPDEs.

Given the current pattern of GM performance cars, it looks like I'll be going from Z06 to ZL1 to Z06... but I want alternatives! Ford may finally be giving me one with the GT500. Hope so.

We need Ford and Chevy to continue to one up each other. We need camaro and mustang owners switching over constantly because the latest from the other side is truly better... not just better because "Ford" or "Chevy".
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:32 AM   #7187
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Hey BlaqWhole and RobbyBeefcake,

Congrats on the new rides! I am definitely NOT a bike guy. Can’t trust my judgement with that much power between my legs

Also not a truck guy, but if I was buying a truck, it would be a ZR2. Silverados and F150s are way too big for me.

Old 05-03-2020, 09:05 AM   #7188
ZRacerLE

@Robby, forgot to mention you have to put some method race wheels on it. I did the 314s in black.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:23 AM   #7189
ZRacerLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Fixed it for you. STangMode seems to have no interest in a C8 aside from one being in the next lane. StreetSpeed_717 did pick up a Rapid Blue Z51. No way of knowing if he did or didn’t get preferential treatment from GM. To be honest, I doubt Speed Phenom got any special treatment. He simply ordered when the order banks opened. And as far as picking it up at Bowling Green, that’s a $5,000 check the box option. Anybody can do that. If / when I order a Z06 or Grand Sport, I’ll be doing that.
Just dawned on me this morning that they really need to start giving the GS the same power level as the Z06 so that the Z06 can be the "ZLE" and the GS can be the "ZL1". The Z06 needs to be the hard-core track corvette. No more middle of the road like the C7Z.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:37 AM   #7190
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
Just dawned on me this morning that they really need to start giving the GS the same power level as the Z06 so that the Z06 can be the "ZLE" and the GS can be the "ZL1". The Z06 needs to be the hard-core track corvette. No more middle of the road like the C7Z.
I get your point, but I think they’re treating it more like

SS 1LE —> ZL1 —> ZLE
SS 1LE is a track car with similar suspension to ZL1 but not the engine and ZLE ups the ante on the suspension and aero

GS —> Z06 —> ZR1
For C7, GS is same look and suspension as Z06 but not the engine, Z06 is a track monster, and ZR1 amps up everything.

Similar approach to C8. And then there’s Zora

Old 05-03-2020, 09:47 AM   #7191
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
Regarding the GT500, I somewhat share Iconic's philosophy of what really matters is what real people can do with them in real life. I don't care so much about straight line racing as I'm pretty obsessed with laptimes, hence the no brainer of going with a ZLE in 2019. The jury is still out on how the GT500s hold up on track days. Will they dominate even in the hands of mid to advanced level drivers lap after lap? I really do hope so. If I regularly have to point by a GT500, while passing everything else, there's a good chance I'll be trading in the ZLE for the competition. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they do in HPDEs.

Given the current pattern of GM performance cars, it looks like I'll be going from Z06 to ZL1 to Z06... but I want alternatives! Ford may finally be giving me one with the GT500. Hope so.

We need Ford and Chevy to continue to one up each other. We need camaro and mustang owners switching over constantly because the latest from the other side is truly better... not just better because "Ford" or "Chevy".
if speed phenom’s C8/500 video is any indication of what it’ll be like for us regular folks, you may not be switching lol. but yeah i get it...getting blown by on every straight could get annoying, however, they keep going to this price thing...a little 2650 blower swap and no more worries. still cheaper than a 500 WITH some hefty mods.

also...if I’m building a roll race car, its a base coyote and turbos and cashmeoussidehowbowdah
jvandy50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #7192
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
I'm not even sure any of them actually did get special treatment. But it is just funny that they all were first in line, or towards the front of the line for the GT500, and then again for the C8. And they all happen to do the same thing, YT bloggers or vloggers or whatever. Lightning rarely strikes and it definitely doesn't strike twice. I put my order in as soon as the banks opened. And I plopped down $5K. Many others did as well. So how he got 2 of the hottest most sought after cars before the vast majority of people even got one is suspect. It still pisses me off. But for the most part I am over it. GM just won't be getting my money for a C8 now unless it is one of the higher trims. If they pull a stunt like this again then I won't be getting one of those either. As it is now I have my sights set on a GTR.
Quote:
Hey BlaqWhole and RobbyBeefcake,

Congrats on the new rides! I am definitely NOT a bike guy. Can’t trust my judgement with that much power between my legs

Also not a truck guy, but if I was buying a truck, it would be a ZR2. Silverados and F150s are way too big for me.
Thanks man. It was an interesting ride home for sure.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #7193
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
I get your point, but I think they’re treating it more like

SS 1LE —> ZL1 —> ZLE
SS 1LE is a track car with similar suspension to ZL1 but not the engine and ZLE ups the ante on the suspension and aero

GS —> Z06 —> ZR1
For C7, GS is same look and suspension as Z06 but not the engine, Z06 is a track monster, and ZR1 amps up everything.

Similar approach to C8. And then there’s Zora
The Hagerty leak story suggested the C8 would look like this.
GS —> Z06 —> ZR1 —> Zora

Camaro following suit would be
SS 1LE —> Z/28 —> ZL1 —> ZLE

This arrangement would bring the Z06 back to its roots and place the ZL1 in a proper competitive spot it its segment (LT5 vs Redeye and GT500)

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:14 AM   #7194
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
The Hagerty leak story suggested the C8 would look like this.
GS —> Z06 —> ZR1 —> Zora

Camaro following suit would be
SS 1LE —> Z/28 —> ZL1 —> ZLE

This arrangement would bring the Z06 back to its roots and place the ZL1 in a proper competitive spot it its segment (LT5 vs Redeye and GT500)
That is a possibility.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:20 AM   #7195
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I'm not even sure any of them actually did get special treatment. But it is just funny that they all were first in line, or towards the front of the line for the GT500, and then again for the C8. And they all happen to do the same thing, YT bloggers or vloggers or whatever. Lightning rarely strikes and it definitely doesn't strike twice. I put my order in as soon as the banks opened. And I plopped down $5K. Many others did as well. So how he got 2 of the hottest most sought after cars before the vast majority of people even got one is suspect. It still pisses me off. But for the most part I am over it. GM just won't be getting my money for a C8 now unless it is one of the higher trims. If they pull a stunt like this again then I won't be getting one of those either. As it is now I have my sights set on a GTR.

Thanks man. It was an interesting ride home for sure.
Keep in mind, SpeedPhenom has still not received the GT500 he ordered. The one he has is the one he found at a dealership across the country and spun a deal with the dealership, not Ford. Now, could Ford have contacted him and said “Here’s a dealer with an unsold GT500 wink-wink-nudge-nudge”? Stranger things have happened, but as with StreetSpeed, can’t prove it did, can’t prove it didn’t.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:30 AM   #7196
ZRacerLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
if speed phenom’s C8/500 video is any indication of what it’ll be like for us regular folks, you may not be switching lol. but yeah i get it...getting blown by on every straight could get annoying, however, they keep going to this price thing...a little 2650 blower swap and no more worries. still cheaper than a 500 WITH some hefty mods.

also...if I’m building a roll race car, its a base coyote and turbos and cashmeoussidehowbowdah
Yep, there's always the mod route to... might just try that first and save some serious cash. No mods or car change until I get to the limit of what I've got though.