Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-27-2018, 07:53 AM   #15
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Unlock and licensing are not the same thing. HPTuners unlocks the T87a bootloader so it can be flashed, but you still need to license it to your mpvi device. 4 credits won't be enough to license all the controllers on a 2017+
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:48 PM   #16
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18ss376 View Post
I have $700 in my HPVI2 with 8 credits, HPtuners is on back order.
My wife said no more mods to a new car with warranty. I told her it's a disease I have called "drag racing" that I've had since 1987. She said I better find a cure really fast.
She's definitely on the patient side

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:42 AM   #17
18ss376

Drives: Camaro
Will not need our TCM unlocked or the use of a tuner.
This company is coming out by the end of 2019 with a transmission controller for 8 speeds.

https://www.usshift.com/index.shtml

Last edited by 18ss376; 01-23-2019 at 05:55 AM.
18ss376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:12 PM   #18
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
This company is coming out by the end of the year with a transmission controller for 8 speeds.

I don't see how that would work. There's a lot of stuff that goes on that they would have to reverse engineer and get to talk with all the other modules in the car. Maybe I'm wrong though. Pretty sure I hear data communication between modules will be encrypted on the fly, then a government regulated car company will 100% own your car and you will have zero ownership despite paying for it. Finding exploits will be impossible with the do gooders pushing mandatory automatic updates.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:51 AM   #19
18ss376

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
I don't see how that would work. There's a lot of stuff that goes on that they would have to reverse engineer and get to talk with all the other modules in the car. Maybe I'm wrong though. Pretty sure I hear data communication between modules will be encrypted on the fly, then a government regulated car company will 100% own your car and you will have zero ownership despite paying for it. Finding exploits will be impossible with the do gooders pushing mandatory automatic updates.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I called them & they said by the end of the year they will have a stand-alone transmission control system to work with the A8's without any tuning software. So will see.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:37 AM   #20
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Just get the TCM unlocked and have the shit tuned with HPtuners like the rest of us. I would only consider that external controller if I was trying to retro fit a A8 into a older vehicle that needs a controller.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:42 AM   #21
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
This company is coming out by the end of 2019 with a transmission controller for 8 speeds.

And who is going to tune that. anything aftermarket must be tuned.

If you think this is going to work in these cars your dreaming.

Might work for a guy with a Manual car that wants to convert an 8 speed auto.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:44 PM   #22
18ss376

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
And who is going to tune that. anything aftermarket must be tuned.

If you think this is going to work in these cars your dreaming.

Might work for a guy with a Manual car that wants to convert an 8 speed auto.
Wrong, just installed a Roto-Fab no tune, PedelMax no tune, Manual fan control no tune. I bet if not this company there will defiantly be aftermarket products in the near future that will be able to hack the TCM without removal. It happens all the time. SEMA & PRI will eventually have a vendor that has a product to do so in the near future. Keep dreaming inside your box & you will be left behind.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:10 AM   #23
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Wrong, just installed a Roto-Fab no tune, PedelMax no tune, Manual fan control no tune. I bet if not this company there will defiantly be aftermarket products in the near future that will be able to hack the TCM without removal. It happens all the time. SEMA & PRI will eventually have a vendor that has a product to do so in the near future. Keep dreaming inside your box & you will be left behind.
The 3 items you've listed are marginally even "mods", no wonder why you didnt need a tune. But any real mod that you expect to make big gains from will need a tune with the torque based ECM.

Perhaps there will be more bolt on stuff for our cars down the road, but Jannetty has been one of the best LT1/4 tuners out there the past few years. Suggesting he will "be left behind" is nothing short of ludicrous.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:24 AM   #24
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
I don't think you are following along in this conversation, the device mentioned above will not integrate with the factory TCM, it is a separate Transmission controller for stand alone control for someone wanting to add an 8 speed to an older car.

Which by the way will require someone with tuning knowledge to set up for each particular vehicle.

As I understand it you have been playing with a handheld tuner for your mods and now your car won't start and you blamed it on the rotofab, I am sorry but the rotofab has nothing to do with your current tuning situation.

If you think no tune solutions are good ones you are sadly mistaken, no different that piggy back fuel and timing control devices that constantly blow up engines.

If you need any help please don't' hesitate to call.

Ted.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:25 AM   #25
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Quote:
If hp tuners has a way to unlock the TCM you are right it is only time before others do as well but not many have the R&D or the capabilities to figure it out... As for your bolt ons of course you don't need a tune you are still within the variables that stock tune can handle before throwing codes. Pedalmax does nothing but make your foot faster.. Manual Fan control not sure why you would think you would need a tune for that and a CAI - Most don't need a tune because you are not increasing airflow by enough that the stock tune cannot compensate for.

I think the last thing you want to do is get on here and argue with people like
Jannetty that are much deeper into the industry then most of us could ever be.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:04 PM   #26
18ss376

Quote:
I don't think you are following along in this conversation, the device mentioned above will not integrate with the factory TCM, it is a separate Transmission controller for stand alone control for someone wanting to add an 8 speed to an older car.

Which by the way will require someone with tuning knowledge to set up for each particular vehicle.

As I understand it you have been playing with a handheld tuner for your mods and now your car won't start and you blamed it on the rotofab, I am sorry but the rotofab has nothing to do with your current tuning situation.

If you think no tune solutions are good ones you are sadly mistaken, no different that piggy back fuel and timing control devices that constantly blow up engines.

If you need any help please don't' hesitate to call.

Ted.
First I want to man up & say I'm sorry to Ted
I had a really bad day yesterday & was in the hospital for 9 hours with strep throat, today is somewhat better. I just think in the future vendors will have some really neat mods that we haven't seen yet. I wish I could just plug in my laptop with some software & make the changes myself & not have to pay someone for a custom tune.

Again I am sorry Ted,
Take care,
Greg
Old 01-24-2019, 01:08 PM   #27
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
First I want to man up & say I'm sorry to Ted
I had a really bad day yesterday & was in the hospital for 9 hours with strep throat, today is somewhat better. I just think in the future vendors will have some really neat mods that we haven't seen yet. I wish I could just plug in my laptop with some software & make the changes myself & not have to pay someone for a custom tune.

Again I am sorry Ted,
Take care,
Greg
Thank you.

What you want is available today https://jannettyracing.com/products/hp-tuners-mvpi-2

Ted.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:23 PM   #28
18ss376

Quote:
Thank you.

What you want is available today https://jannettyracing.com/products/hp-tuners-mvpi-2

Ted.
Ted,
Can I just start out with 4 credits for the ECM & not have to tune the TCM?
Just not in my budget right now after the purchase of the wife's new Tahoe...lol
I'm still afraid to install my Kooks 1-7/8" headers with hi-flow cats because I just know I'll get a bunch of CEL's. I'm going crazy with these new cars...