Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-30-2019, 10:33 PM   #1
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
Hate to ask but.... '17 zl1 or '16 SS? daily driver

1st post. "NEW" guy from AZ but not new to Camaros. I've been out of the Camaro game for a while as far as 5th and 6th gen stuff. Thankfully for sites like this one and Camaro5, I've been doing alot of research as far as my next purchase.

That being said, as much as I'm finding decent prices/deals on '13-15 ZL1s, it seems that because of their 4200'ish lb weight, the '16+ SS's are doing almost the same performance wise *stock for stock* . At first I was going to ask a "5th gen zl1 vs 6th gen SS" question, but again, after alot of research, price wise, a 16 SS is the better deal *sorry to any 5th gen zl1 owners. But while doing more research on here, it seems the '17 ZL1 is a decent "upgrade" to the SS (but with an additional cost for that upgrade).

So again, my apologies for whatever I'm sure was asked ALOT in years past, but for a daily driver car (I'll be selling my truck and 'busa) would a '17 ZL1 or '16-'17 SS be the better purchase? Price is somewhat of a factor. I'm not looking to realistically purchase till around Oct/Nov. I know the SS is around 30k in this area for low miles. The ZL1 is closer to 45-50k. 15k-20k is a huge price jump, and I'm sure a procharger is cheaper, but I'm also a fan of zr1's looks. That and I'd probable never get to adding a s/c to the vehicle. If I got the SS, 1st thing if prob do is a ZL1 front bumper / hood.

As far as what I plan on doing to either. If the SS, the probably just basic bolt ons, exhaust, CAI and tune. If the ZL1, then probable the same thing but add a pulley to it. *I'd LOVE to do the E85 mod, but the nearest SINGLE pump is 7-8 miles away and not convenient in any way. past that, just a daily driver and a fun, fast, car again.

Sorry for the long post. Specially a first one.

Last edited by AZIROC; 07-30-2019 at 10:42 PM. Reason: I suck at spelling
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:08 PM   #2
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I upgraded from a 2016 2SS to a 2017 ZL1 this past March and couldn’t be happier! True the ZL1 is a little more pricey than an SS, but if you find a used low mileage 2017 ZL1 like I did for a good price then you should go for it! You can mod an SS to the hilt but it still isn’t a ZL1 and won’t be worth as much either. You said you really like the look of the Z so that sums it up that you want to get one! I’m sure most, if not all, of the ZL1 owners on here would tell you the same things as I have said. Good luck and find that ZL1 you are looking for and enjoy driving the heck out of it!
Old 07-30-2019, 11:18 PM   #3
AZIROC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
I upgraded from a 2016 2SS to a 2017 ZL1 this past March and couldn’t be happier! True the ZL1 is a little more pricey than an SS, but if you find a used low mileage 2017 ZL1 like I did for a good price then you should go for it! You can mod an SS to the hilt but it still isn’t a ZL1 and won’t be worth as much either. You said you really like the look of the Z so that sums it up that you want to get one! I’m sure most, if not all, of the ZL1 owners on here would tell you the same things as I have said. Good luck and find that ZL1 you are looking for and enjoy driving the heck out of it!

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, the Zl1 is my preferred choice. I guess my only "gut check" is the payment. The SS I can be around 380-400/mo where as the zl1 I'll be closer to the 600-625 area. As someone who hasn't had a car payment in over 10 years, while the 400/mo is hard to swallow, the 600/mo makes me pass out. That or I'll have to save some more pennies.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:29 PM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Save some more money and wait a few months to start looking! With the 2020s coming out soon I would imagine more used ZL1s will be out there from people that want to upgrade to a new one!
Old 07-30-2019, 11:40 PM   #5
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
The SS is a better daily driver, and sounds like it is much more squarely in your budget range. I think if you stretched for the ZL1, you'd end up with too much car and a big monthly payment you didn't really want. With all the money you save, you can customize your SS to your liking.

It all depends on your perspective. Mine is that I don't even think the SS is a good daily driver. It has too much power for the street. As pure daily drivers, the turbo and V6 cars are amazing. When I tried to daily drive my SS I was always frustrated because I couldn't really open her up. It got pretty bad gas mileage in mixed driving, insurance was more expensive, really need a second set of wheels/tires for the winter, etc. It all adds up. Pretty soon you are talking hundreds of extra dollars per month, thousands per year. The ZL1 is like that but worse. Despite the fact that many people daily drive theirs, it just isn't a good daily driver for someone on a budget. The worst feeling in the world is having a world class car in your garage that you can't quite afford, and slightly regret buying.

Save some cash, scoop up an SS and make it your own.

And remember , since you've been out of the game for a while and may not realize, every 6th gen camaro down to the base 1LS 2.0 turbo is an amazing vehicle. I've had three 6th gens--an A8 1SS, an SS 1LE, and now an M6 2.0T. They're all great cars. My 2.0T is hands down the best daily driver and is by far the cheapest to own and maintain. It also weighs the least of any 6th gen (3281 lb) and feels the nimblest around corners. The point is, all the cars are good, and a 6th gen SS will definitely be enough car for you. Most people never even approach the limits of their SS. I recommend doing a test drive in an SS car with TC and Stabilitrak off and really open her up. I find that motor just downright scary, and paired with the alpha chassis, driving it around town feels like sacrilege. Like you are caging an animal that wants to be free. I literally felt guilty that I wasn't taking it to the track more often. But at $400 a day when all is said and done, and a baby on the way, the "cheaper daily driver that is still loads of fun" was exactly what I needed. Go figure that I'm having more fun these days in my little old 4-banger than I ever was before. Maybe it's because I'm out driving it so much!

Last edited by protovack; 07-31-2019 at 12:23 AM.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:18 AM   #6
Zoom

Drives: Summit White 2018 1SS 1LE
What about an SS 1LE? Have you considered that? Its right between the SS and ZL1. Cost of maintenance is like a ZL1 but with the payment of an SS and insurance of an SS.
Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:44 AM   #7
AZIROC

Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
The SS is a better daily driver, and sounds like it is much more squarely in your budget range. I think if you stretched for the ZL1, you'd end up with too much car and a big monthly payment you didn't really want. With all the money you save, you can customize your SS to your liking.

It all depends on your perspective. Mine is that I don't even think the SS is a good daily driver. It has too much power for the street. As pure daily drivers, the turbo and V6 cars are amazing. When I tried to daily drive my SS I was always frustrated because I couldn't really open her up. It got pretty bad gas mileage in mixed driving, insurance was more expensive, really need a second set of wheels/tires for the winter, etc. It all adds up. Pretty soon you are talking hundreds of extra dollars per month, thousands per year. The ZL1 is like that but worse. Despite the fact that many people daily drive theirs, it just isn't a good daily driver for someone on a budget. The worst feeling in the world is having a world class car in your garage that you can't quite afford, and slightly regret buying.

Save some cash, scoop up an SS and make it your own.

And remember , since you've been out of the game for a while and may not realize, every 6th gen camaro down to the base 1LS 2.0 turbo is an amazing vehicle. I've had three 6th gens--an A8 1SS, an SS 1LE, and now an M6 2.0T. They're all great cars. My 2.0T is hands down the best daily driver and is by far the cheapest to own and maintain. It also weighs the least of any 6th gen (3281 lb) and feels the nimblest around corners. The point is, all the cars are good, and a 6th gen SS will definitely be enough car for you. Most people never even approach the limits of their SS. I recommend doing a test drive in an SS car with TC and Stabilitrak off and really open her up. I find that motor just downright scary, and paired with the alpha chassis, driving it around town feels like sacrilege. Like you are caging an animal that wants to be free. I literally felt guilty that I wasn't taking it to the track more often. But at $400 a day when all is said and done, and a baby on the way, the "cheaper daily driver that is still loads of fun" was exactly what I needed. Go figure that I'm having more fun these days in my little old 4-banger than I ever was before. Maybe it's because I'm out driving it so much!

Thank you for all your insight. It's almost like an argument of a grand sport vs z06. I'm not LOOKING for a car payment but as stated, I could get into an SS quicker than an ZL1. You may be onto something, I may go test drive a SS and. Zl1. I'm use to higher HP vehicles, but I havent tried any of these later LSx motors let alone the LTs. For all I know the zl1 is TOO much (idk if that's even possible).
Old 07-31-2019, 12:57 AM   #8
AZIROC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
What about an SS 1LE? Have you considered that? Its right between the SS and ZL1. Cost of maintenance is like a ZL1 but with the payment of an SS and insurance of an SS.

I have but my biggest thing is I dont want a manual for a daily. *I know... blasphemy * but I'd much rather try out 1 of these A8s or A10s. It's my understanding there arent and SS 1LE's with autos *I could be wrong. But if so then I'd probably look in that direction
Old 07-31-2019, 01:00 AM   #9
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
If you are definitely decided on automatic, you should be aware of the torque converter issue with the A8. The A10 is almost certainly the better option now.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:07 AM   #10
Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIROC View Post
I have but my biggest thing is I dont want a manual for a daily. *I know... blasphemy * but I'd much rather try out 1 of these A8s or A10s. It's my understanding there arent and SS 1LE's with autos *I could be wrong. But if so then I'd probably look in that direction
1LE is a manual, but it has a short throw shifter. I wouldn't go A8 because of the TC issues. The A10 seems solid. I daily my 1LE with no issues. I do wish it came with the A10 option....
Old 07-31-2019, 01:10 AM   #11
Zoom

Sounds like the A10 ZL1 is the answer. Amazing car. It will cost more though. (maintenance, insurance, cost)
Old 07-31-2019, 01:24 AM   #12
AZIROC

Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
If you are definitely decided on automatic, you should be aware of the torque converter issue with the A8. The A10 is almost certainly the better option now.

I have read a few things in this but what I never got to / understood is; is there a TSB fix for the A8s? Or it just a "warranty" thing? I've seen a few say how a flush fixed it where others said a new TC was needed.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:25 AM   #13
AZIROC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
Sounds like the A10 ZL1 is the answer. Amazing car. It will cost more though. (maintenance, insurance, cost)

In a perfect world and more pennies saved up, a 2018 a10 zl1 is the car I'd like.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:34 AM   #14
Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIROC View Post
I have read a few things in this but what I never got to / understood is; is there a TSB fix for the A8s? Or it just a "warranty" thing? I've seen a few say how a flush fixed it where others said a new TC was needed.
The flushes work for a bit. You need a new aftermarket TC to actually fix it.