Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-26-2017, 11:03 AM   #1
Extreme Dimensions

Drives: 2016 1ss Camaro
Convertible or Coupe???

did you buy a convertible or coupe and what was your reason for either car?

i live in cali and have a 2016 camaro ss coupe so i guess im either weird or i dont like the sun that much !

1-714-278-8000 EXT 17
andrew.bettridge@extremedimensions.com
Extreme Dimensions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:06 AM   #2
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
I got a coupe. A vert is not very practical for a DD in NY. I also avoided the moon roof.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #3
ARCTIC

Drives: 2017 1SS convertible
Convertible because it is my replacement for my bike. It's not my daily driver and I wanted something as different from driving my 3/4 ton diesel as possible. It's a nice change of pace blasting down the rural roads with the top down. I really don't like the sun in my eyes when I'm driving either and I refuse to have a sunroof in any of my other vehicles but for some odd reason the convertible has been a blast for the very short time that I've had it.

A few things about the convertible surprised me.. 1) It's crazy how quiet it is to drive the car with the top up. I thought it was going to be loud as crap. 2) The car is fun and sporty to drive even when you cannot or do not want to put the top down. The little v6 scoots and I bet the 8 is even more fun. 3) Top down driving isn't nearly as windy inside the car as what I thought it would be. I can actually make phone calls over the car's Bluetooth system. 4) It didn't leak when I took it through the auto car wash. It seals really well and I had anticipated being stuck always hand washing it.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:53 AM   #4
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
I've got a vert however, it's a weekend, summer car only. This one replaced my old Chrysler vert that I had so driving with the top down has always been in my blood. The feeling and freedom you feel driving topless is an unique experience that only certain people can enjoy. However, as a muscle car, having a vert does limit what you might want to do if your want to track this car. I know some people do with a vert but there are extra precautions they have to take. So as a non-track car, the vert is a perfect car for me.

joe...
Old 05-28-2017, 10:53 PM   #5
KROLIS

Drives: 2017 2LT/RS & 2013 2LT/RS vert
1 of each
KROLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:19 PM   #6
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
1LE means a lil track time, which means added safety and rigidity of a coupe, plus less overall weight with the coupe.

That all being said, I wouldn't say no to a '17 convertible Vette on the side, just for casual cruising and nothing else .
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:32 PM   #7
davesnever

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
At 50+ I didn't see much use for a vert as there just isn't as much hair as there use to be blowing in the wind lol. Even if I was still younger I think I still would of chosen the coupe. I just don't find the verts to be as aggressive looking, I always associate the verts with the ladies but I guess that's a stereotype, sorry guys no offence cause I have seen alot of sharp looking verts out there too.
davesnever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:01 AM   #8
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I ordered mine as I did, because I didn't think I'd get much top-down time here in Nebraska. Same reason for no sun roof. Had a CTS with a sun roof for 6 years in Arizona, so I had some experience as to how often I got to use it.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:04 AM   #9
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Coupe, cause racecar.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:15 AM   #10
St!ng

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Convertible
Convert... when the top goes down, the fun goes up. Besides, I like the contrast of the black top against the silver body.
St!ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:38 AM   #11
KickerZ71

Drives: Camaro SS
I went with a vert, being topeless is not comparable. If my car was a coupe I would have gotten bored by it and sold it. I know the Camaro won't be my forever car but I'll always have a vert as my toy.
KickerZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:16 AM   #12
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesnever View Post
At 50+ I didn't see much use for a vert as there just isn't as much hair as there use to be blowing in the wind lol. Even if I was still younger I think I still would of chosen the coupe. I just don't find the verts to be as aggressive looking, I always associate the verts with the ladies but I guess that's a stereotype, sorry guys no offence cause I have seen alot of sharp looking verts out there too.
63 and no hair, that is why God made hats
Had a coupe, traded for a vert 5 years ago and never been happier with any car... There is just something special about cruising with your lady with the top down... plus you can hear the exhaust note better.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:27 AM   #13
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickerZ71 View Post
I went with a vert, being topeless is not comparable. If my car was a coupe I would have gotten bored by it and sold it. I know the Camaro won't be my forever car but I'll always have a vert as my toy.
And SoCal is top down, year round.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:45 AM   #14
onoahimahi

Drives: 2014 SS Convertible
For me it was only ever going to be a convert. I'm 58 now and sold my last convert in 1985 and have been driving SUVs since. I'd been admiring the Gen 5 Camaro Coupe since it first appeared and when a colleague a few years older than me passed away from cancer, I pulled the trigger and bought a 2014 2SS convert manual-shift with only 5400 miles on it (just last month).

I live in Massachusetts so there aren't as many good top down days at some other states but that makes good ones even more special. I recall from my early 20's that one of my favorite times for putting the top down was right after a rain storm. The air is different somehow - charged, or clean, or something, I don't know the physics, if any, but I recall that being extraordinary.

(This is a second car that will be garaged in winter)
onoahimahi is offline   Reply With Quote