Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-27-2017, 09:27 AM   #1
amboy49

Drives: Beginning a search to buy
Tread depth

I have a 2011 Synergy Green RS with 23,000 miles on it. It has the OEM tires and the tread depth is 4/32nds. I don't know what the original tread was on the tires and am wondering if I should be looking for new tires ?

If so, based on the limited miles I put on the car I may wait until next spring. However, if a good deal or manufacturer's discount became available I might want to take advantage of it sooner.

Thanks in advance.
amboy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:44 AM   #2
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by amboy49 View Post
I have a 2011 Synergy Green RS with 23,000 miles on it. It has the OEM tires and the tread depth is 4/32nds. I don't know what the original tread was on the tires and am wondering if I should be looking for new tires ?

If so, based on the limited miles I put on the car I may wait until next spring. However, if a good deal or manufacturer's discount became available I might want to take advantage of it sooner.

Thanks in advance.
Replace them if wet roads and snow are a concern for you...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:47 AM   #3
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
when the wear bars are even with the tread its time but sometimes i do it just a little before.usually firestone or some other distributor will do a buy 3 get one free or some such offer around thanksgiving/christmas.im holding out for that also with just under 23k on my 2015 RS.im thinking firestone firehawk A/S which is a harder compound and will last longer.check tire racks website as they list treadwear and all other info with each tire brand and model.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:42 PM   #4
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
I seem to recall that the wear bars are at 2/32 inch, but of even more concern to me is the condition of the sidewalls and rubber itself. Your car is a 2011, which means the tires could have been manufactured in 2010 (you can check the sidewall for the manufacture date). While checking for the manufacture date, check the sidewalls and between the tread blocks for weather-checking and cracking. Deterioration of the rubber can easily contribute to tire failure--even if there is plenty of tread depth remaining. At 4/32 inch tread depth, you're approaching marginal ability to handle rain and avoid hydroplaning; since these are OEM, they're not All-season and definitely are less than desirable if you encounter snow. Just some things to consider before you "stretch" them thru the winter.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:50 PM   #5
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Better safe than sorry. I just replaced the tires on my SS wth more than
4/32nds remaining. I also replaced my apparently good factory battery
after 5 years, Why fool around with maintance/safety items that your
going to need sooner than later anyway?
Old 08-28-2017, 11:46 AM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by amboy49 View Post

Thanks in advance.
Moved to Wheels & Tires

-DG
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:58 PM   #7
Rudy@Tirerack

Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
At 4/32nds you should start shopping for tires. During wet or snow they are going to struggle to provide traction.
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote