Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-30-2016, 09:21 PM   #1
benjbass

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Zl1 AUTO driveshaft in MANUAL 2014 ss

I need some help and would really appreciate any input. I recently put in a 2013 zl1 differential in my 2014 manual Camaro SS. However, I got it out of an automatic. (though I got the entire thing for 1400 including axles and driveshaft). I did not realize that the driveshaft is longer in the automatics. I am So, I am looking into shortening the drive shaft but I don't know how much I need to tell them to shorten it.
Attached Images

benjbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:53 AM   #2
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
That would be where a professional differential shop would make a good measurement, you could look up the specs on the manual sized driveshaft and go from there, though the trans is different its not that different and you could look up the trans and figure from their sizes what the correct driveshaft length may be if talking to a shop. You need the figures of the differences......
Old 12-31-2016, 09:28 AM   #3
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
The way to measure a driveshaft correctly is to get EVERYTHING mounted in place, first. Then take your measurements. See pics below:

Name:  pic02.jpg
Views: 1949
Size:  174.5 KB

Name:  pic 1.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  18.5 KB
Old 01-01-2017, 01:11 PM   #4
benjbass

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
That would be where a professional differential shop would make a good measurement, you could look up the specs on the manual sized driveshaft and go from there, though the trans is different its not that different and you could look up the trans and figure from their sizes what the correct driveshaft length may be if talking to a shop. You need the figures of the differences......
Thank you! I am either going to take it to my builder and have him do the measurement then take it out and take it to a drive shop or have them do it at the drive shop. My builder is charging me $50 to put it back in.

Tags
differential, driveshaft, zl1