Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 01-28-2021, 07:25 AM   #29
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
It sounds like COST is a big factor for you OP. If so, I’d recommend you try the SC3 tires that come on the regular ZL1 instead of the 3R’s. There are guys on here who use up a new set of 3Rs in a single track day. I had 4 track days with multiple sessions each day on my new SC3s and I still have plenty of tread left and no uneven wear. There isn’t much performance difference between the two tires until you are very good on the track.

I went on the OEM alignment and have no issues there either. Maybe I just got lucky. In stock form with just minor bolt ons my car put down better times than 90% of the cars running out there.

Your car will very likely be more capable than you are able to push it at first. That’s no disrespect, that’s just how capable these cars are. Personally I think you are wasting money to upgrade the suspension at this time, until you have enough seat time to know how capable you are of maxing then performance of the car in stock form. It’s quite good right out of the box.

In retrospect, I am glad that I got to know my car on the track in stock form first. It allowed me to better gauge where I wanted to spend money later to make improvements. The only suspension mod I plan to make now is the BMR cradle lockout kit. Performance wise I’m doing e60, bolt ons (intake and exhaust) and coolant reservoir for cooling. I’ll re-align when needed but hasnt happened yet.

Good luck.
Hi Mr. SF,

Money isn't really an issue. I spent damn near a quarter mill for this ZL1 (Auto taxes in Thailand are 200%). What is an issue is changing set ups. reordering parts, learning anew, because this incurs shipping, and customs clearance (which consists of Sales tax, then possibly a VAT tax (not always the same believe it or not), a list of unnecessary fees as long as your arm, then import tariffs based on the total of the item itself with shipping and all taxes and fees... I don't mind spending money, but I hate freak'in wasting it (a.k.a. giving it to the government, they're not good stewards of the publics money). And I won't even talk about the time wasted to order and ship, time difference to stay awake, that's another waste all in itself.
I still have a lot to learn about this suspension, and I'm excited to do so. But I pretty much know what I want. Much like I did on my Rx-7, I will change most of the arms and bushings and the lockout kit that everybody says has helped them not lose their alignment. One thing I liked about my 7 was it's lightness, not much to suspend, so the suspension was much less complicated. Although, I won't talk about the PPF, that was just a total nightmare (that I eventually fixed).
The other items you're doing, I'm doing as well. I'm just going to have some fun, on the track, street. This will probably be my last sportscar, I'm 60. Maybe no time to lay down extra laps; so whether I'm good enough to bring out the best time of the car is irrelevant. Some of the roads here have 18 wheeler wheel troughs 2 inches deeps in places. Give her a squirt and no telling where the rear-end goes. I need a suspension where the links are solid, less compliant. So I'm doing it all from the jump. Nice that you got to experience your car stock on the track. I'm not going that route. Furthermore, this is an extremely fast track. Just look at the layout. That grandstand straight is over a 1/2 mile (1000 meters), and I won't be crawling around that corner preceding it (maybe 60-70). So I should be way over 160mph by the time I jump on the brakes for the hairpin, and then another 1/2 mile straight. So the brakes are going to need as much help as possible to stay cool. I need brakepads that are made for racing heat. And the mere fact that I am a track novice probably will mean that I will use the brakes more than necessary at first (maybe, he he he). So proper pads are a must. Actually, this car is made for this track. Just looking at it excites me. I just have to learn and then learn and then learn more and finally really step up my game when my ability starts to improve. Chang International Circuit, is a brand new Formula 1 approved track. and I can't wait to get my butt there with the only 6th Gen ZL1 in Thailand. This is still months away as the track is closed due to COVID, although I have thought about asking what it would cost to rent it..... You never know.... They may be reasonable (few thousand bucks for a day or the weekend) right now with nobody renting it.

Last edited by Bangkok_ZL1; 01-28-2021 at 07:56 AM.
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:34 AM   #30
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
I concur with CW3SF's tire recommendations. The non-R Supercar3's are the best bang for buck option available for these cars.
I believe you stated somewhere in this thread that you planned to replace the Aussie spec Continentals with Cup2's. I read somewhere on the forums where a guy with a ZL1 replaced his Supercar3's with Cup2's and was a second or so slower. He couldn't make sense of that and neither can I, but it probably warrants a little research before dropping comparatively big bucks on the Michelins. Here in the states, they're twice the price of the Supercar3's
GoodYear isn't well represented here, Michelin is. So I'm not sure I can get them actually. If I could get them, I might go with them because I believe I read they were "summer tires" as in better with a warmer track. Heat will be an issue as that part of Thailand is always about 100 and I have no idea what the temp will be on the asphalt, but I doubt it will be less than 120. Thank you for telling me that though. I'm not there yet, but when its time, it'll be run what you brung.

I have to edit this post with this comment..... You all have NO IDEA just how bad these continentals are in the grip department. It's ridiculous to go out an have some spirited driving fun. Concerning the ride, touring, they are quite nice.

Last edited by Bangkok_ZL1; 01-28-2021 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:07 AM   #31
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangkok_ZL1 View Post
Hi Mr. SF,

Money isn't really an issue. I spent damn near a quarter mill for this ZL1 (Auto taxes in Thailand are 200%). What is an issue is changing set ups. reordering parts, learning anew, because this incurs shipping, and customs clearance (which consists of Sales tax, then possibly a VAT tax (not always the same believe it or not), a list of unnecessary fees as long as your arm, then import tariffs based on the total of the item itself with shipping and all taxes and fees... I don't mind spending money, but I hate freak'in wasting it (a.k.a. giving it to the government, they're not good stewards of the publics money). And I won't even talk about the time wasted to order and ship, time difference to stay awake, that's another waste all in itself.
I still have a lot to learn about this suspension, and I'm excited to do so. But I pretty much know what I want. Much like I did on my Rx-7, I will change most of the arms and bushings and the lockout kit that everybody says has helped them not lose their alignment. One thing I liked about my 7 was it's lightness, not much to suspend, so the suspension was much less complicated. Although, I won't talk about the PPF, that was just a total nightmare (that I eventually fixed).
The other items you're doing, I'm doing as well. I'm just going to have some fun, on the track, street. This will probably be my last sportscar, I'm 60. Maybe no time to lay down extra laps; so whether I'm good enough to bring out the best time of the car is irrelevant. Some of the roads here have 18 wheeler wheel troughs 2 inches deeps in places. Give her a squirt and no telling where the rear-end goes. I need a suspension where the links are solid, less compliant. So I'm doing it all from the jump. Nice that you got to experience your car stock on the track. I'm not going that route. Furthermore, this is an extremely fast track. Just look at the layout. That grandstand straight is over a 1/2 mile (1000 meters), and I won't be crawling around that corner preceding it (maybe 60-70). So I should be way over 160mph by the time I jump on the brakes for the hairpin, and then another 1/2 mile straight. So the brakes are going to need as much help as possible to stay cool. I need brakepads that are made for racing heat. And the mere fact that I am a track novice probably will mean that I will use the brakes more than necessary at first (maybe, he he he). So proper pads are a must. Actually, this car is made for this track. Just looking at it excites me. I just have to learn and then learn and then learn more and finally really step up my game when my ability starts to improve. Chang International Circuit, is a brand new Formula 1 approved track. and I can't wait to get my butt there with the only 6th Gen ZL1 in Thailand. This is still months away as the track is closed due to COVID, although I have thought about asking what it would cost to rent it..... You never know.... They may be reasonable (few thousand bucks for a day or the weekend) right now with nobody renting it.
Sounds like a fun track. My home track (High Plains) has a backstretch that’s about 900 meters and I i hit 139-141 before very hard braking for almost 90 degree right hand turn. We also have extreme elevation changes hairpin turns. So far I have had no issues with brake fade and my original OEM pads aren’t even half used after my 4 track days. Temps in the mid to high 90s for 3 of the 4 track days.

It’s funny, I did a lot of research too before I went out for the first time. I bought a second set of SC3 tires and new brake pads. At the end of the season I still haven’t had to change either LOL. Still in the garage for next season.

Just trying to give you an idea of how good the OEM stuff is on this car. Hope this helps. You are going to love it.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:11 AM   #32
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
I am one of the people who tried PSC2 vs SC3R and some good Pirelli DH scrubs at the track recently

The PSC2 were the biggest size: 315/30/19 front and 345/30/19 rear. They were not new but in very good to excellent condition. ~2 heat cycles, recently shaved, plenty of tread remaining.

The PSC2 were over 4 seconds slower than either the 1-2 heat cycle SC3R or the DH take-offs.

Bottom line, do not get PSC2 for track on ZL1. They dont work for some reason.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:39 AM   #33
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
I am one of the people who tried PSC2 vs SC3R and some good Pirelli DH scrubs at the track recently

The PSC2 were the biggest size: 315/30/19 front and 345/30/19 rear. They were not new but in very good to excellent condition. ~2 heat cycles, recently shaved, plenty of tread remaining.

The PSC2 were over 4 seconds slower than either the 1-2 heat cycle SC3R or the DH take-offs.

Bottom line, do not get PSC2 for track on ZL1. They dont work for some reason.
OK, Thank you. Michelin and Toyo have a presence countrywide here. GY really does not. Maybe I can order. I'd have to go to Bangkok for any chance of getting them for sure. There was a Merc GT Black Convertible (Super nice million dollar car here) that parked next to me about 3 days ago in the "supercar parking" space (they have these in the malls here because we cant make ground clearance to go upstairs) and I noticed that they were OEM for that car. It was a new car (Red license plate like mine so new car waiting on his (vanity) license plate. And all I could think was... I'm stuck with these crap Conti-traks.....

I'll check it out next time I go to Bangkok.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:10 PM   #34
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangkok_ZL1 View Post
OK, Thank you. Michelin and Toyo have a presence countrywide here. GY really does not. Maybe I can order. I'd have to go to Bangkok for any chance of getting them for sure. There was a Merc GT Black Convertible (Super nice million dollar car here) that parked next to me about 3 days ago in the "supercar parking" space (they have these in the malls here because we cant make ground clearance to go upstairs) and I noticed that they were OEM for that car. It was a new car (Red license plate like mine so new car waiting on his (vanity) license plate. And all I could think was... I'm stuck with these crap Conti-traks.....

I'll check it out next time I go to Bangkok.
Are you saying GY SC3R were OEM for an AMG GT, or the standard SC3?

PSC2 are OEM on a lot of cars like Porsche GT3, 350GT, AMG GT. They seem to work on track for those cars but not on the ZL1.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:51 PM   #35
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
Are you saying GY SC3R were OEM for an AMG GT, or the standard SC3?

PSC2 are OEM on a lot of cars like Porsche GT3, 350GT, AMG GT. They seem to work on track for those cars but not on the ZL1.
Michelins...... BTW, I've already checked. It seems SC are not here, nor are they in Japan (where I have connections. So if I want them, it looks like an import thing. Not sure these tires will be worth a grand to $1500 bucks a pop, especially since I'm not the most experienced person on the track yet....

Last edited by Bangkok_ZL1; 01-29-2021 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:15 PM   #36
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
Sounds like a fun track. My home track (High Plains) has a backstretch that’s about 900 meters and I i hit 139-141 before very hard braking for almost 90 degree right hand turn. We also have extreme elevation changes hairpin turns. So far I have had no issues with brake fade and my original OEM pads aren’t even half used after my 4 track days. Temps in the mid to high 90s for 3 of the 4 track days.

It’s funny, I did a lot of research too before I went out for the first time. I bought a second set of SC3 tires and new brake pads. At the end of the season I still haven’t had to change either LOL. Still in the garage for next season.

Just trying to give you an idea of how good the OEM stuff is on this car. Hope this helps. You are going to love it.
Awesome, Thanks. and your circuit looks fun
Old 01-30-2021, 07:07 AM   #37
racer01

Drives: 19' ZL1
Lots of really good advice here, but I fear it is probably more for the collective community than the OP.
I'll summarize in my own words as someone who started tracking in 1998 in a 94' Rx-7. I had mod fever and added coilovers, tires, brakes, another 100hp in every bolt on they made. I learned slowly and learned bad habits. Sold it and built a spec miata and really learned how to drive. After 30+ other race and sports cars over the last 20+ years (and over 100 track weekends) I bought a 2019 ZL1 manual. Ok, now that crap is out of the way.

ZL1 is absolutely incredible stock. I have done alignment and brake fluid and done 4 hard track days in the car this year at "instructor" pace.
-SC3 tires are really great at being consistent even in 100F temps at VIR this summer. Very well suited to suspension and car overall.
-stock pads are quite capable of handling track use. Pretty amazing actually. Some aftermarket aggressive pads may bite a bit better, but be careful as they may throw a lot of heat into the caliper causing fluid issues you otherwise wouldn't have. Any real "race" pad will also likely decrease rotor life.
-rear won't hold toe alignment with stock crappy bolts and setup. Only mod I'd make is rear toe arms.
- This car is way to fast already dead stock without any real safety equipment. I was hitting close to 160 mph on both straights at VIR (and too fast to look at speedo in uphill esses) and well over 150 mph at my local track Roebling Road. That is a big mess if things go wrong.

A good friend also bought a 1LE around the same time. He has waaay more track time and experience than me, and is typically one of the faster cars at any event. He did alignment and brake fluid. Has the resources to do any mods you'd want, and all he did this year was buy lots of SC3R's and an extra set of OEM brake pads. Road Atlanta, VIR, Roebling are all fast very fast tracks and his car did fine other than eating SC3R's at an alarming rate.

I get the mod bug. I did the same in my Rx7 back when I first started tracking. It actually made the car significantly better back then. My last word of advice is be very careful about modding the ZL1. Very, very different car than the Rx7 and doesn't really need mods and therefore you have a very significant chance of really screwing a great car up royally. TC intervention, camber needs, chassis balance, are all damn near perfect on my ZL1 and I have heard people spending thousands chasing an extra second of performance by adding stickier tires, high CF brake pads, aero, DSSV shocks from the 1LE all to have that balance get wonky and creating other issues.

Sorry for the long post. Do as you wish and have fun. Just some thoughts from an old FD driver
racer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:30 PM   #38
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer01 View Post
Lots of really good advice here, but I fear it is probably more for the collective community than the OP.
I'll summarize in my own words as someone who started tracking in 1998 in a 94' Rx-7. I had mod fever and added coilovers, tires, brakes, another 100hp in every bolt on they made. I learned slowly and learned bad habits. Sold it and built a spec miata and really learned how to drive. After 30+ other race and sports cars over the last 20+ years (and over 100 track weekends) I bought a 2019 ZL1 manual. Ok, now that crap is out of the way.

ZL1 is absolutely incredible stock. I have done alignment and brake fluid and done 4 hard track days in the car this year at "instructor" pace.
-SC3 tires are really great at being consistent even in 100F temps at VIR this summer. Very well suited to suspension and car overall.
-stock pads are quite capable of handling track use. Pretty amazing actually. Some aftermarket aggressive pads may bite a bit better, but be careful as they may throw a lot of heat into the caliper causing fluid issues you otherwise wouldn't have. Any real "race" pad will also likely decrease rotor life.
-rear won't hold toe alignment with stock crappy bolts and setup. Only mod I'd make is rear toe arms.
- This car is way to fast already dead stock without any real safety equipment. I was hitting close to 160 mph on both straights at VIR (and too fast to look at speedo in uphill esses) and well over 150 mph at my local track Roebling Road. That is a big mess if things go wrong.

A good friend also bought a 1LE around the same time. He has waaay more track time and experience than me, and is typically one of the faster cars at any event. He did alignment and brake fluid. Has the resources to do any mods you'd want, and all he did this year was buy lots of SC3R's and an extra set of OEM brake pads. Road Atlanta, VIR, Roebling are all fast very fast tracks and his car did fine other than eating SC3R's at an alarming rate.

I get the mod bug. I did the same in my Rx7 back when I first started tracking. It actually made the car significantly better back then. My last word of advice is be very careful about modding the ZL1. Very, very different car than the Rx7 and doesn't really need mods and therefore you have a very significant chance of really screwing a great car up royally. TC intervention, camber needs, chassis balance, are all damn near perfect on my ZL1 and I have heard people spending thousands chasing an extra second of performance by adding stickier tires, high CF brake pads, aero, DSSV shocks from the 1LE all to have that balance get wonky and creating other issues.

Sorry for the long post. Do as you wish and have fun. Just some thoughts from an old FD driver
Thanks..... Yeah, the old FD. I had the last version that came out in 2002 in Japan. I loved her. I loved her nimbleness and lightness and balance. With the series 6, the turbos would go 1.2 bars stock, although I kept mine at 1.1 cause I didn't want to change the injectors. The series 6, Spirit R, was a REALLY nice car. I had #0822 anyways.

As for this Miss America. Here is the total plan, I've got to buy another CC as soon as I start tracking because I have a MM Wild, so I'll probably swap for a mild on track days if I can; I'll have to check with MM tech support on this, or some way to do something about it. Second, I've gone with JRE to change the car to run on E already. I need to do this because they don't have 93 octane here, and I'm tired of spending about $400 bucks a month for Oct Booster. I will change to the rest of his 125 package later, headers, intake, better lighter. I must do, just because. but just doesn't have to be now. I won't change anything internal not even the blower, especially not the pulley. I will add additional cooling capacity, Thailand it's hot. This thing has monstrous power for this place already. Suspension, My wife loves the ride, so I can't change too much, like dampers. But the arms and rods, and cradle lockout I can change so that I reduce compliance and not lose my alignment on these terrible roads. Yes, I will change fluids (brake and oil), and was going to get better pads. This track has 3 stretches in a row where I'll be about 150, I might hit 170mph on the middle stretch (cause I should be out of that corner at 60+ and then have a full half mile of WOT before hard braking). Then after the large hairpin there's another 1/2 Stretch. These are 6 lap events so 18 times in about 15 minutes I'll be hard braking from 150+ (2.8 mile track). But if everybody is telling me that the OEM pads will be ok. I might have to find out. Lastly, most are telling me the cradle lockout is a must. Which as you know from an FD, I learned nothing from that debacle (PPF...). Actually, I learned how to lock it up from Pettite racing. But nothing about a Camaro suspension. I liked thickening up my rear end on my 7 and plan to do the same.

By the way, how'd you like the Miata. My friend races them in Japan, small Gymkana tracks, swears by them.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:13 PM   #39
dbs1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Having road raced off and on for 20 years and done quite well with a built 1st gen 650hp camaro, then a 620hp 02 camaro and a 615hp c5 Z06 and now a 750bhp 17 camaro with a very capable chassis and suspension I’d say other then it being a fat pig compared to those other cars (especially the C5) this car needs only lighter wheels, r comp tires, better pads and brake fluid and a year of seat time with multiple sessions a month to drive it to 9/10’s.

I think folks are kindly trying to tell you to address those things if you’re serious and go get to driving and quit trying to cover every other little thing you’re worried about changing. The car as is (with the exception of your contis) is going to exceed your skill for quite awhile.
Tires and track time is all you really need for months.
dbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:59 AM   #40
Akura

Drives: ´18 ZL1 A10 Red Hot 😍
How much do you weigh?

Akura is offline   Reply With Quote