Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-26-2017, 03:02 PM   #1
Hheatt_ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6spd
2018 ZL1 mods

Hey guys I'm new at this so don't bash me too bad. Well I have a 2018 ZL1 I installed a ROTO-FAB cai,ARH full exhaust 3" no cats, stock muffler, innovators harmonic balancer with Metco overdrive 9.10 pulley with stock charger pulley and a hand ported TB. I got the tuner to do two pulls after being there for about 7 hrs because he hadn't received the email to unlock my ecm so with NO TUNE....the first pull it made 669hp with A/F ratio of 10.8 the second pull it made 632hp about 5 mins after the first pull. So my question is tune or no tune? Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance. By way, I realize I've voided my factory warranty..
Hheatt_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:32 PM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
1st off I think you need a new tuner.
The ECM is a very quick registration with HP Tuners and it will cost him 4 credits which are $50 each.
Only the TCM requires an unlock for the Auto trans but you shouldn't have to mess with that anyway.

You're definitely going to need a tune. No question about it.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:26 PM   #3
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Agree that new tuner is required. And you'd be better off in the Gen 6 forum: www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:45 PM   #4
Hheatt_ZL1

Hey thanks guys for the info I really appreciate it.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:43 PM   #5
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hheatt_ZL1 View Post
Hey thanks guys for the info I really appreciate it.
No problem... ask all the questions you want. There are no dumb ones.

I moved this thread to the 6h Gen side so maybe others will chime in as well.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:39 PM   #6
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
1st off I think you need a new tuner.
The ECM is a very quick registration with HP Tuners and it will cost him 4 credits which are $50 each.
Only the TCM requires an unlock for the Auto trans but you shouldn't have to mess with that anyway.

You're definitely going to need a tune. No question about it.
Haha, glad you said it and not me.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:46 PM   #7
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Wow.

Any person who makes a pull on a car that has those mods to it on the bone stock setup is no "Tuner" I mean, he could have easily damaged your car, and there's a possibility it did. After mods like that, the car should have a base table loaded into it before it's even started and then custom tuned carefully from there. You should be thankful you didn't get a blown up car for Christmas.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:50 AM   #8
soceur77

Drives: 17 NFG ZL1 17 GTR 22 RS6
im sitting here like are u freaking kidding me! If I lived in your area Id be asking who this "tuner"is so id know not to ever visit him....
soceur77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:09 AM   #9
Hheatt_ZL1

I'm very green about this tuning thing guys so he should've said to me that it would be a bad idea to do a pull with my car right? I'm getting Educated on the matter. I'm gonna pay him another visit then an ask why he did that. Thanks again guys greatly appreciate the Schooling.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:47 AM   #10
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
In the tuner’s defense, it might be an issue on HPT’s end. I wasn’t able to read out the ECU on my 2018 at first. At first it said something like “unknown ECU detected”. I contacted support and got a beta version. Then I started getting the “unlocker: web exception” warning. It took sending HPT info logs and two beta versions before it worked.

And fwiw...the first time you read out one of these cars, You do need to connect to the HPT server for them to “unlock” it. I’m guessing the tuner was having the same issues I was.

That said, I wouldn’t have wanted to make any dyno pulls without being able to properly log or tune. The good news is that it wasn’t lean. I’m kind of surprised it made the power it did. I’m guessing he was watching the AFR and knew it was relatively safe. I’d be taking it really easy myself.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:05 PM   #11
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Support

Your vehicle is now added to the database. Please make sure you are connected to the internet the first time you read/write the vehicle. The new process for 2017 GM requires an internet connection for the first read/write. After that you do not need to be connected to the internet for future reads for the vehicle.
Quote:
You do not need to license to read. When it asks you to license say no or close. You only need to license to change something and save.

Thanks
It usually takes a day to add your VIN to HP Tuners database. You can still read and save the ECM data but you cannot change/edit or write it back to the car until you send the VCMSuiteInfo Text file with your VIN.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:25 PM   #12
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Well I get the problems that can arise using a tuning software and online confirmation that always look easy in the directions but can have stupid issues...There's still no excuse for running a car with those kinds of mods up to redline, twice, on the stock tune. And just because the AFR was good doesn't mean something else did/could have gone wrong.

Is the car tuned now or no?
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:03 PM   #13
wstaab

Drives: 69 Z28, 2018 ZL1 1LE
2018 GM engine ECU require HPTuners 3.7 BETA to tune. The ECU is locked and requires a seed key to unlock. Your tuner needs to connect to the car with the computer connected to the internet. HPTuner's software will read the info required and transmit it to HPTuners over the internet. They will generate a seed key and download it to the tuners computer. This will unlock the engine ECU for tuning.
Weekends and nights take longer to receive the seed key.
Step 1: Download and install the latest VCM Suite 3.7 BETA available on your customer page
Step 2: Connect the vehicle and read it.
Step 3: IF you receive a message that the vehicle can't be read at this time and to try again. Please wait at least 30 minutes and then try to read the vehicle again using VCM Suite 3.7.
Important Note Make sure you are connected to the internet for the first time you are tuning a 2018 GM vehicle.
wstaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:12 PM   #14
Hheatt_ZL1

No tune yet guys, trying to search for one that knows better.