Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-11-2019, 09:07 AM   #29
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG61354 View Post
I finally got to the tracks this past weekend (Sebring) with one of the local Porsche clubs (Suncoast). The car had 1040 miles on it. Went out first session just Kind of cruising(PTM / Race) left the car in drive and turned a 2:29.3. As some mentioned a little inconsistent when shifting. Went out the next session and stayed in manual shift mode. I did have some trouble with shift points and bumped it off the limiter 3 or 4 times per lap and managed to run a couple of laps in the low 2:27’s. The last session I ran had a better feel for the car. I left in in drive a ran it pretty hard. Leaving it in Drive was the trick the shifted much faster and harder than I had thought it would, when braking hard the car down shifted perfectly and consistently. This is my first automatic and I could not be happier. I ran 5 of the 7 laps in the 2:25’s with a best of 2:25.0 . The Air temp was 96* and the car never missed a beat. With cooler weather and some stainless brake pads I confident the car will go sub 2:20 at Sebring which is pretty damn fast. The only thing done to the car this time out was change the brake fluid. This car is fun and fast.

This is what I mean. You can’t drive easy or it will not know which gear. It is fine if it is always up shifting or down shifting. Coasting confuses it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #30
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOL EDO View Post
I was at auto club speedway and in the laps where I was learning the track, driving 70%, it kept jumping between sport shift and regular. It annoyed me so I just switched it to manual mode. But when in aut it was shifting a lot due to it randomly dropping back to normal mode even under 70% throttle. Didn't try auto in later sessions so not sure if driving harder made a difference. I was in track mode ptm1 then 2. Switched to track later.
In what you are describing, you were not pushing the car enough for it to think that you were on a track. That has much more to do with your driving style than the transmission. Actually what you were doing is a safe thing to do (drive within yourself). However, the transmission will look at this as just a day driving, with some fun parts thrown in. I would guess that as you get more familiar with the track, you will get smoother and faster. This will let the transmission do its thing, too.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #31
EVOL EDO

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
In what you are describing, you were not pushing the car enough for it to think that you were on a track. That has much more to do with your driving style than the transmission. Actually what you were doing is a safe thing to do (drive within yourself). However, the transmission will look at this as just a day driving, with some fun parts thrown in. I would guess that as you get more familiar with the track, you will get smoother and faster. This will let the transmission do its thing, too.
I agree and I assume if I was pushing harder it wouldn't happen just there were long periods of no to super low throttle due to passing restrictions. it was just too annoying during learning so I just put it in manual. For those sessions I was hoping that it would say in sport shift for a longer period of time but nothing could be done. With the HUD and paddles it really takes no effort to use compared to the rx7 I just sold. So Like I said I never put it back even as I got faster in the second half of the day because I was already used to the paddles.
Since it was a learning day as my first time at that track next time I will prob do both for reference. For reference there was about a 40 second difference in lap time between the first half and second half due to the lead follow. I also noticed that due to the a10 shifting in the middle gears comes up quick due to the short ratios.

I also thought this may have been what was happening due to him having an instructor and possibly taking it easy during those sessions, so I mentioned it.
EVOL EDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #32
Zl1crazydude

Drives: Gray ZL1
A10 transmissions

I had a ZL1 with an A10 transmission. It was great for 8 track days driving in D. Then the last three times I tracked the trans overhead to 300 degrees. I researched it and the bands and clutches were burnt. GM said that it should be ok and didn't need to replace the transmission. So I've since sold it and I am looking for a car that can handle extreme shifting since I drive the car very hard. Also heard of other A10 transmission having overheating problems.
I had changed the trans fluid and rear end fluid and no changes. So definitely paddle shift them on the track cause they might over heat.
Zl1crazydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:28 PM   #33
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1crazydude View Post
I had a ZL1 with an A10 transmission. It was great for 8 track days driving in D. Then the last three times I tracked the trans overhead to 300 degrees. I researched it and the bands and clutches were burnt. GM said that it should be ok and didn't need to replace the transmission. So I've since sold it and I am looking for a car that can handle extreme shifting since I drive the car very hard. Also heard of other A10 transmission having overheating problems.

I had changed the trans fluid and rear end fluid and no changes. So definitely paddle shift them on the track cause they might over heat.

18 track days and no problems here. Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro