Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-23-2016, 06:29 AM   #1
thickstunalex

Drives: Coming: 2017 Camaro SS Vert
Turn down dealer detailing?

I saw in the inspection checklist thread when picking up my new car that I want to request to turn down the dealer detailing. I just wanted to know the reason behind this?
thickstunalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:51 AM   #2
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
Some people prefer that only they (the owner) clean their car. I'm sure there's some cases where they have caused scratches,etc. I've bought 2 from the same dealer and was happy to pick up a new shiny car
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:57 AM   #3
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Don't let the dealer touch it.
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:17 AM   #4
EXSSIVE

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS M6
Im a sales consultant for a Chevy-Buick dealer. I picked my best guy and asked him to hand wash it for me. The kid takes so much pride in what he does and respects Vettes and Camaros so much he was extremely happy that I picked him and even excited to clean the car as it was one of our first SS's sold.

I guess it depends on how much you trust your sales consultant to select the right person to clean your new car and do it properly.
EXSSIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:23 AM   #5
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
I am on the fence with this with my car when it comes in. I get my cars professionally detailed shortly after before I do my clear bra, and my dealer has done a good job prepping my past few cars, but I have mentioned that I am super fussy many times, so I think they just removed the shipping and hand washed it...no wheel or anything like that. I may ask them to specifically do just that this time, remove the shipping stuff, and hand wash it, no more...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:37 AM   #6
BravoMyles

Drives: Blue/Black 2017 1SS
My dealer got something on all the windows that was almost like a clear grease. Nothing I did short of rubbing on it for several hours got it off. It finally came off, but it just spread around for a couple weeks before finally clearing up. Needless to say, they won't be touching mine again.

2010 2SS - Summit White - SOLD
CAI intake, Borla Atak axle-back (Summit xpipe resonator delete), custom ported TB, Texas Speed 1 7/8" LT Headers w/ Catless connections

Instagram: bravomyles
BravoMyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:05 AM   #7
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
I bought my car off the showroom floor. My spoiler and trunk were scratched to hell by I'm assuming their automatic car wash. Nice drag lines right across the trunk and spoiler.

Most dealerships do not know how to properly wash a car. It's almost comically sad.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:08 AM   #8
Mud Z06

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSloper View Post
Don't let the dealer touch it.
this
Mud Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:21 AM   #9
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
I bought my car off the showroom floor. My spoiler and trunk were scratched to hell by I'm assuming their automatic car wash. Nice drag lines right across the trunk and spoiler.

Most dealerships do not know how to properly wash a car. It's almost comically sad.

Most dealerships car wash is a cheap, hard, ghastly scrubber that's just like the one at your local gas station for free with a fill up. It's in the back of their garage and they run their cars through it 100 a day without changing the water. Trust me, I've seen it with my own eyes.

Dealers think they're doing the customer a favor. In actuality they're scratching their clear coat and grinding the dirt into the paint.

Don't ever let a dealer touch the outside of your car.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:23 AM   #10
DeliveryMan

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
No need for the dealership to detail your car.
If you do bring it in for service, deny the car wash.
DeliveryMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:04 AM   #11
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I had to laugh last time I took my car in. My service advisor is a good guy. I told him that I didn't need them to wash the car, and he said "nah, we don't do that anymore for you Camaro and Corvette guys, you're far too picky and we always end up doing the wrong thing. I'll give you a voucher to the wash place down the street if you want to use it.…"

I completely understand that management decision ...LOL
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:07 AM   #12
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
All depends on what minimum wage grunt is doing the washing.

I watched in horror as I sat in the waiting area of the Land Rover dealership as a steady stream of $90k Range Rovers were "washed" with a stiff bristle broom continuously dipped in a bucket of murky water buy a guy who was more interested in the cigarette he was smoking than the task at hand.

For that reason I print off a "DO NOT WASH" sign and place it on the dash whenever I take a car in for service/repair.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:08 AM   #13
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Sold on their site:

Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #14
thickstunalex

Drives: Coming: 2017 Camaro SS Vert
So I should probably clarify with the dealer how they plan to wash the car, and if it goes through the wash then politely decline.
thickstunalex is offline   Reply With Quote