Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-13-2020, 01:56 PM   #1
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
HP Tuners questions

I have been trying to find some information and hope the community here can help me out.

Does the MPVI get married to a car like a Cobb accessport? (looking to buy one used)

Do the credits get used up each time a tuner makes an adjustment or is it one credit per vehicle?

Do you need the pro edition to Bluetooth connect your phone for track addict or does the "base" model also have Bluetooth capabilities?

Anything I need to be worried about with buying a used one?
That1guy_tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 02:43 PM   #2
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
It is not married to a vehicle like the Access port (have that on my Fusion).

I bought my MPVI from one of the guys here at work. He also sold me his remaining credits (3), what he did is went into his HP Tuners portal and changed the user name and password to mine. That moved the whole package over to me, even the cars he has previously tuned.

The credits get used per vehicle, not per tune.

It does not have Bluetooth capabilities, everything is done through a laptop.

Not sure I would buy a used one from a stranger without talking to HP and making sure I will be able to register it.
When you own an MVPI, you can upgrade through HP Tuners for the MVPI 2 for $180. So if you're not getting it for less than $120 bucks, I wouldn't do it. Just buy a new one for $299, because if it breaks and you have to upgrade (since the original is no longer serviceable) you will be over the cost of a new one at that point.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer

Last edited by easttxss; 03-13-2020 at 02:55 PM.
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:30 AM   #3
That1guy_tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by easttxss View Post
It is not married to a vehicle like the Access port (have that on my Fusion).

I bought my MPVI from one of the guys here at work. He also sold me his remaining credits (3), what he did is went into his HP Tuners portal and changed the user name and password to mine. That moved the whole package over to me, even the cars he has previously tuned.

It does not have Bluetooth capabilities, everything is done through a laptop.

Not sure I would buy a used one from a stranger without talking to HP and making sure I will be able to register it.
When you own an MVPI, you can upgrade through HP Tuners for the MVPI 2 for $180. So if you're not getting it for less than $120 bucks, I wouldn't do it. Just buy a new one for $299, because if it breaks and you have to upgrade (since the original is no longer serviceable) you will be over the cost of a new one at that point.
Thanks for the info. I also would be buying mine from a co-worker.

I did misrepresent as it is a MVPI 2 not the original that I would be buying from him.

If the username and passwords are not changed or given to me am I still able to buy and load my new credits to the unit?
Old 03-14-2020, 06:18 PM   #4
Robby23

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy_tim View Post
If the username and passwords are not changed or given to me am I still able to buy and load my new credits to the unit?
You can read your current tune but you cant write (upload) a tune until you licence it which you would need the HP Tuner account with the required available credits (which is synced to the serial number on the MPVI2). So you would need the login or have it changed to your own user/pass. I have not had to change the user on it so I am not sure how that would work.
2018 1SS M6 - OTR intake, HI Ram intake, Ceramic Coated TSP Headers Catless, AWE Touring Axle-Back, Flex Fuel, Pray Performace stage 3 cam, TSP ported heads, Pray Ported 95MM TB and Ported HI-RAM. SJM Line-Lock. F14 Drag Pack 17's with front skinnies. Tuned by Pray Performance.
Robby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:09 AM   #5
That1guy_tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby23 View Post
You can read your current tune but you cant write (upload) a tune until you licence it which you would need the HP Tuner account with the required available credits (which is synced to the serial number on the MPVI2). So you would need the login or have it changed to your own user/pass. I have not had to change the user on it so I am not sure how that would work.
Thanks for the information!
Old 12-08-2020, 08:17 AM   #6
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by easttxss View Post

Exactly what I did, after purchasing an MPVI2 device from another Camaro6 member.
MakCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 06:36 PM   #7
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy_tim View Post
Anything I need to be worried about with buying a used one?
I bought it and a new laptop and collected data easily. However, there's a lot to learn about how to format and view data. HPTuners has a forum that deals with these issues but you can look forward to spending a lot of time learning how to use it unless you have a friend that can spend some one on one with you.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:27 AM   #8
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Where are you located?

If you are relatively close I’d be happy to show you the ropes.

I’m learning the new strategies for the Gen 6, but I’ve been an HPT user about 10yrs.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote