Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

AWE Tuning

Old 07-01-2021, 06:11 PM   #1
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Tuning Questions???

There's some questions I have before I get my 2018 SS1LE tuned this Fall. Rather than bother a tuner I figured I'd post my questions up here so I have a better understanding of what can and can't be changed before discussing with them.

First, my upgrade plan is pretty standard. The car currently has a Roto-Fab air intake and a Borla X pipe with 2nd cat delete. I will be adding a bigger TB (undecided yet), LT2 manifold, E85 kit, maybe a pulley. The car will stay with stock exhaust manifolds and the NPP suitcase.

I'm pretty set on going to Jannetty in Connecticut but it is about a 3.5hr ride from me. Any other recommendations in the PA/NJ/MD area? I'm about an hour from Philly.

1. Can a tuner fix the inconsistent throttle "tip-in" on an M6 car? The throttle doesn't seem to respond consistently when pulling off from a stop. Some times it will dog and almost stall, other times it will rev higher and I end up slipping the clutch more. Track mode does take away the lag compared to Sport/Touring mode but the throttle application can still lead to varying revs.

2. I'm pretty sure I know the answer but to confirm, I can temporarily install a wideband O2 in place of one of the stock O2's for tuning purposes and then once the car is tuned remove and reinstall the factory narrowband?

3. Can you make the car default to Track mode upon startup?

4. Can the input lag be removed from Sport & Touring mode to make it have the snappier throttle response of Track mode?

5. How much Torque management do most tuners remove?

6. Lastly, Is it that much better to get dyno tuned vs remote tuning? I think I'd prefer to have the car on a dyno and for the tuner to see if first hand. Opinions?

I think that's about it, I'd appreciate any insight you guys can give me. Thanks!
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:36 PM   #2
LiqTenExp

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I tried to answer your questions but further discussions may be required. You should be asking your tuner this questions and if they can't take the time to answer them move on.

Note, I don't recommend larger TB unless your airflow requirements need it. Larger TB = worse control over part throttle regions and requires more effort in part throttle tuning to clean up drivability issues. I would say minor change is ok but don't go into the 100+ mm range just for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post
There's some questions I have before I get my 2018 SS1LE tuned this Fall. Rather than bother a tuner I figured I'd post my questions up here so I have a better understanding of what can and can't be changed before discussing with them.

First, my upgrade plan is pretty standard. The car currently has a Roto-Fab air intake and a Borla X pipe with 2nd cat delete. I will be adding a bigger TB (undecided yet), LT2 manifold, E85 kit, maybe a pulley. The car will stay with stock exhaust manifolds and the NPP suitcase.

I'm pretty set on going to Jannetty in Connecticut but it is about a 3.5hr ride from me. Any other recommendations in the PA/NJ/MD area? I'm about an hour from Philly.

1. Can a tuner fix the inconsistent throttle "tip-in" on an M6 car? The throttle doesn't seem to respond consistently when pulling off from a stop. Some times it will dog and almost stall, other times it will rev higher and I end up slipping the clutch more. Track mode does take away the lag compared to Sport/Touring mode but the throttle application can still lead to varying revs.
Proper fueling and VT adjustments likely need to be made to keep consistency here

2. I'm pretty sure I know the answer but to confirm, I can temporarily install a wideband O2 in place of one of the stock O2's for tuning purposes and then once the car is tuned remove and reinstall the factory narrowband?
You can to cover MAF. That forces you to compare MAF airflow vs dynamic airflow to do proper VVE tuning. I prefer wideband all the time since there is no lambda/AFR it cannot see and therefore permit you to make a more correct adjustment when tuning VVE. This also depends on that the MAF tune is spot on which could change if you make a mod, just put a WB in, you will appreciate it if additional tuning is required, you can do most stuff remotely then, or on your own!

3. Can you make the car default to Track mode upon startup?
No

4. Can the input lag be removed from Sport & Touring mode to make it have the snappier throttle response of Track mode?
You can adjust driver demand tables to tailor some of this to your liking

5. How much Torque management do most tuners remove?
You don't remove it, you just adjust VT so it only steps in when the TC/SC features use it. You dont want TqMgtAdv to step in and pull tq because it is trying to correct the immediate tq via spark (fast) when there actually is no loss of traction. This occurs when you delivered tq exceeds the immediate/predicted tq values (controlled by VT tables). Predicted torque also comes into play when considering how the car adjust TB to control tq (slow)

6. Lastly, Is it that much better to get dyno tuned vs remote tuning? I think I'd prefer to have the car on a dyno and for the tuner to see if first hand. Opinions?
I prefer both since doing 150 MPH on the highway in 4th gear pulls isn't the best of ideas. All the part throttle, VVE, VT, idle, DFCO, and dynamic airflow are easily done remote on the street.

I think that's about it, I'd appreciate any insight you guys can give me. Thanks!
Old 07-01-2021, 07:49 PM   #3
Kmeleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiqTenExp View Post
I tried to answer your questions but further discussions may be required. You should be asking your tuner this questions and if they can't take the time to answer them move on.

Note, I don't recommend larger TB unless your airflow requirements need it. Larger TB = worse control over part throttle regions and requires more effort in part throttle tuning to clean up drivability issues. I would say minor change is ok but don't go into the 100+ mm range just for fun.
Thanks for all the comments. I was thinking 95mm max on the TB,nothing bigger.

So is the only way to have a permanent WB is to add a bung? Can it even be done to the stock manifolds?

Lastly, I see youre in NJ. Any local tuners you'd recommend?
Old 07-01-2021, 08:08 PM   #4
LiqTenExp

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I started with Tune Time Performance. They did great work on the install and I got the tune I expected from them. They started helping me with part throttle work but it is time demanding and they are too far away for the casual back and forth.

I wanted to learn how to do it on my own. I started working with Goat Rope Garage doing email tunes and after working with him I'm starting to be confident enough to work on my own while asking questions here and there.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:08 PM   #5
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post
So is the only way to have a permanent WB is to add a bung? Can it even be done to the stock manifolds?
Yes, before catalytic converter and yes.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556095

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:19 AM   #6
Kmeleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
Yes, before catalytic converter and yes.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556095
Great info, I've never seen that thread. I always thought I'd have to bring the car to a buddy to do this. This is no big deal with being able to remove the cat, I'll just take it in to one of my welders at work