Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-11-2020, 12:48 AM   #1
tawheed

Drives: 17 ZL1
First Chevrolet, First Camaro

I've been looking at getting a 2SS 1LE since I got a chance to drive one last summer. Since then I've had a 2017 GT350 (sold because didn't want to deal with the oil consumption issues), 2016 M3 (sold because it didn't really ever excite me), 2019 M2 Competition (was going to trade someone for a 2SS 1LE and sold), 2019 Bullitt (bought because 2SS 1LE became unavailable and then sold because it was going to become available again). Never was able to work out a deal on the 2SS 1LE. Found a deal on a 2017 M6 ZL1 with 5000 miles a couple of weeks ago and pulled the trigger.

Super excited about the car, I've never had a car with this much horsepower / torque. The one thing I'm finding odd is that it doesn't feel "crazy". I'm guessing it's just so sorted that it has this deceptively fast feeling. I was expecting it to feel like I'm being punched in the face repeatedly. Is it just me?

tawheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:59 AM   #2
19Nasty1le
Craig

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
These cars are faster than they “feel” I drove a GTR and it “felt” fast but when I looked down I was doing about 120kph... my ZLE on the other hand I’m just cruising and look down and I’m doing about 180kph lmao.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:38 AM   #3
FalconerOneSeven

Drives: ZL1
Congrats your purchase you made the right choice. And I agree I don't feel like I go fast until I look a the speedometer then I am like wow...Compare to my previous cars the ZL1 is like a rail.
FalconerOneSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:30 AM   #4
Agent K

Drives: 2017 ZL1 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawheed View Post
I've been looking at getting a 2SS 1LE since I got a chance to drive one last summer. Since then I've had a 2017 GT350 (sold because didn't want to deal with the oil consumption issues), 2016 M3 (sold because it didn't really ever excite me), 2019 M2 Competition (was going to trade someone for a 2SS 1LE and sold), 2019 Bullitt (bought because 2SS 1LE became unavailable and then sold because it was going to become available again). Never was able to work out a deal on the 2SS 1LE. Found a deal on a 2017 M6 ZL1 with 5000 miles a couple of weeks ago and pulled the trigger.

Super excited about the car, I've never had a car with this much horsepower / torque. The one thing I'm finding odd is that it doesn't feel "crazy". I'm guessing it's just so sorted that it has this deceptively fast feeling. I was expecting it to feel like I'm being punched in the face repeatedly. Is it just me?

First, congrats. I see you went with a manual; good choice.

You're right, this car is deceptively fast. So, to see what she really can do: 1) turn on 'Rev Match' 2) put it in 'Track' mode 3) put it in 'Race'. You've now turned off the traction and stability control. The car will also be a little more responsive. Find a secluded open road (preferably not a tree-lined road) and punch it
2017 ZL1 Arctic Blue Metallic / 6MT / sunroof / NAV / PDR / RotoFab CAI + dry filter / Tony Mamo TB V1 / Skip Shift Eliminator / Hurst Short Throw Shifter / ZL1 floor mats / Dead Pedal cover (to match other pedals) / ARH Catless 1-7/8" headers + ARH X-pipe + AWE Touring Axle-Back / Diode Dynamic smoked side markers / American Authority tow hook
Agent K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:16 AM   #5
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
The rear suspension on these cars is insane. They just put the power down, pretty amazing to me on road courses. I just have the 1SS 1LE. They are cars that kind of fall under, I'd rather drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow because they have such high limits on the street.
Awesome choice, color, manual FTW, and not 1LE. I think those are overdone on the ZL1's.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:08 PM   #6
Maro_89

Drives: High HP V8
Congrats on the car. I think these cars camouflage how fast you’re really going because of how they are built or engineered. Same thing with the Hellcats. These cars are fast but the power delivery of these cars feel smooth compared to like a Vette that feels raw and more violent especially the C6 Z06 and ZR1.
Maro_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:19 PM   #7
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Congratulations on the purchase.
The cars chassis is incredible. Power delivery is very good. I also questioned the power of it when I first received my car. I was somewhat assured after seeing the movements and reactions of my passengers. My son also letting me know that his head hurt from hitting the seat time and time again (he was 9 years old at that time).
Then I had a couple run ins with some other nice cars like a couple GT350s and a bunch of Ferrari’s. Those run ins assured me of the cars performance as well as raising the eyebrows of quite a few people.
If You still question it then head over to Castrol there and run it to see what your trap speed is. If it’s consistently low then maybe check the service history to see if any work was done to the car that maybe involved dropping some coolant out of the engine. If indeed this is the case then I bet there is an air pocket in the cooling system causing the engine to pull timing.
Another thing, if you can get 93 or 94 octane at the pump, which being in Edmonton I pretty positive you can, make sure you use that. Judging by your previous vehicles you owned I’m sure you’re aware of what fuel to use. Just thought I’d mention it.
Anyhow, great purchase. These cars are pretty deadlt
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:08 PM   #8
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
Not a ZL1 here but a 2SS 1LE, I have driven my car 20K+ and thought it was OK. This week I let a coworker take it for a spin with me as a passenger, my head hurt from slamming the headrest, the car felt a lot faster from the copilot seat. I would guess as the driver you anticipate whats coming. Nice car OP.
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:24 PM   #9
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior102 View Post
Not a ZL1 here but a 2SS 1LE, I have driven my car 20K+ and thought it was OK. This week I let a coworker take it for a spin with me as a passenger, my head hurt from slamming the headrest, the car felt a lot faster from the copilot seat. I would guess as the driver you anticipate whats coming. Nice car OP.
This is absolutely correct.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:28 PM   #10
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawheed View Post

You made the final great choice like I did. I had some of the same cars as you. The ZL1 blows them all away. It took Ford to punch out 760 HP to even come close and I would still get the ZL1 M6. I love the manual, even though I don't have it anymore. I would say with the ZL1's ELSD and 650HP and magnetic suspension, nothing can touch it for the money.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:31 PM   #11
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
The rear suspension on these cars is insane. They just put the power down, pretty amazing to me on road courses. I just have the 1SS 1LE. They are cars that kind of fall under, I'd rather drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow because they have such high limits on the street.
Awesome choice, color, manual FTW, and not 1LE. I think those are overdone on the ZL1's.
What???? There are limits on the street??
Attached Images

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic

Last edited by unavailablezl1; 07-11-2020 at 08:43 PM.
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:02 PM   #12
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
I always wanted one older classic car a chevelle, I got it then done a T56 magnum and 6.0 swap, And I wanted a new model performance car/supercar, I thought about a C6 Z06 and ZR1,C7 Z06(it was out due to overheating)but older technology to a certain extent, but LS motors are great. Them I read about the ZL1, I was not crazy about the direct injection but the overall package is great for the money, 11 intercoolers, iron rotors that perform like carbon, and the fact that you dont see ZL1 1le on every corner like a corvette and the look on a corvette owner when you pull up is worth millions, they know it's a bad beast and most corvette /base models dont want to try you. Heck I even spanked a 1000 hp ZO6 for a gear or so because there were fish tailing all over the place , And I knew they would never catch up ! Congratulations ! And welcome to the ZL1 world .
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:11 PM   #13
tawheed

Drives: 17 ZL1
Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
Congratulations on the purchase.
The cars chassis is incredible. Power delivery is very good. I also questioned the power of it when I first received my car. I was somewhat assured after seeing the movements and reactions of my passengers. My son also letting me know that his head hurt from hitting the seat time and time again (he was 9 years old at that time).
Then I had a couple run ins with some other nice cars like a couple GT350s and a bunch of Ferrari’s. Those run ins assured me of the cars performance as well as raising the eyebrows of quite a few people.
If You still question it then head over to Castrol there and run it to see what your trap speed is. If it’s consistently low then maybe check the service history to see if any work was done to the car that maybe involved dropping some coolant out of the engine. If indeed this is the case then I bet there is an air pocket in the cooling system causing the engine to pull timing.
Another thing, if you can get 93 or 94 octane at the pump, which being in Edmonton I pretty positive you can, make sure you use that. Judging by your previous vehicles you owned I’m sure you’re aware of what fuel to use. Just thought I’d mention it.
Anyhow, great purchase. These cars are pretty deadlt
I tend to use Shell 91 on all my cars since it's easy to find and contains no ethanol. My other options are Petro 94 (10% Ethanol), and Chevron 94 (no ethanol), but we only have one Chevron in town and it's on the other side of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent K View Post
First, congrats. I see you went with a manual; good choice.

You're right, this car is deceptively fast. So, to see what she really can do: 1) turn on 'Rev Match' 2) put it in 'Track' mode 3) put it in 'Race'. You've now turned off the traction and stability control. The car will also be a little more responsive. Find a secluded open road (preferably not a tree-lined road) and punch it
How do I get it in race? Is that the full TC hold down til off, or double tap and choose Race?
tawheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:38 AM   #14
ssyellow1

Drives: Mustang
Welcome to the club, coming from a 2015 Mustang GT myself.

Can't say I would recommend turning a lot of the nannies off on normal roads, too much that could go wrong.

Below is a link that's helpful to better understand the various drive modes.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496996
ssyellow1 is offline   Reply With Quote