#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 02-10-2023, 01:23 PM   #1051
midnight1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostcj View Post
Tires are without a doubt the best performance enhancement for Autox.
I agree 100%! I went from 7th in my class to now first. I have a stock 1SS with eibach springs and a track alignment. I found the best tires to be the stock eagle f1 super car 3 tires that come with the 1LE. The autox track is around 1 minute long with the longest straight letting you hit 70ish mph (depending on the layout). The tires warm up fast enough to not let me spin on the first turn which is almost a U-turn.

Here’s a video of the AutoX last year:

SRMS Points Series Race # 3
https://youtu.be/5E1PPyO-j9I

I did a more recent autox but my phone mount broke so I barely have any footage.
Attached Images

Last edited by midnight1ss; 02-28-2023 at 12:36 PM.
midnight1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 03:51 PM   #1052
KirillWA

Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I've followed the advice from others in this thread and installed a catch can. Did 20 miles in the city and checked it - clear as new, no oil.
Then I went to an autocross event. This is what catch can collected after 20 laps, 70 seconds each, with 3 WOT moments on each lap.
Name:  photo_2023-02-22_13-47-49.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  96.0 KB
P.S. This is Elite Engineering E2, single exit.
Old 02-28-2023, 09:01 AM   #1053
rotis

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Had fun in Beeville at the ProSolo. It is a great site, and was worth the trip for sure.

These are my fastest runs from the weekend, which both happened during the Knockout round(s) of the Super Challenge. Unfortunately that meant I broke out... by a lot, which made advancing beyond the round of 8 impossible.

My lift at the finish on the right side was my half-hearted attempt to avoid breaking out further, it wasn't enough. I am bad at strategery.

The car continues to work pretty well, I've got some setup changes planned for the next local event to see if I can overcome this year's PAX hit. Additionally, the new CR-S sizing is compelling. I'm 99% sure I can fit the 335/30-18 on 18x13 in front with my MCS setup, but it's going to be super tight. I may do 325/30-19 instead since I already know that fits and I've got wheels on hand for it.
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 12:28 PM   #1054
rotis

Here's my fastest run from Sunday at the South Texas National Tour. It rained in the morning and was drying, so the 3rd run was the only chance at a dry course. A bit scruffy, but good enough for the win.

I added annotations to the video as closed captions, so you can see commentary pointing out all of the mistakes.

Old 05-10-2023, 12:53 PM   #1055
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis View Post
Here's my fastest run from Sunday at the South Texas National Tour. It rained in the morning and was drying, so the 3rd run was the only chance at a dry course. A bit scruffy, but good enough for the win.

I added annotations to the video as closed captions, so you can see commentary pointing out all of the mistakes.

Nice driving!

--------

Have you guys seen this Tire Rack Vid? Right now the cars generating the highest cornering forces seem to be using relatively small tires. STX class Toyota 86s are getting up to 1.6g running RE71RS in 255 width. An MR2 Spyder is hitting 1.5 with even narrower Stones... CAM cars aren't competitive in this area, is it just that we're too heavy, center of gravity too high, or ?

Also, with the new .827 PAX I'm not sure what it'll take to be competitive in CAM-C short of buying a GT4.R race car (~3200 lbs) and installing some interior trim pieces. Now we have to raw time AS cars like C6Zs and Cayman GTS? Seems impossible to compete on PAX short of having something like that GT4.R

Old 05-10-2023, 02:21 PM   #1056
rotis

I think the big jump in CAM-C index this year is going to make it difficult for cars that are >300 lbs overweight to compete in PAX. It seems like the index has inched closer to what is possible in the fairly open ruleset, versus reflecting the actual cars running in the class. (is anyone anywhere near minimum weight?)
Old 05-10-2023, 04:25 PM   #1057
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis View Post
I think the big jump in CAM-C index this year is going to make it difficult for cars that are >300 lbs overweight to compete in PAX. It seems like the index has inched closer to what is possible in the fairly open ruleset, versus reflecting the actual cars running in the class. (is anyone anywhere near minimum weight?)
^^^This. And this has always been the problem with CAM as a concept: they write this incredibly open rule set and everybody thinks that's cool until they realize what it would take to make a car anywhere close to the actual limits of the rules. Keep in mind that a completely non-production tube frame car with a look-alike carbon fiber body is completely legal in CAM as long as it has the stock wheelbase and you can trick your state into licensing it. In C, that could allow for a "Camaro" at minimum weight with a much lower-than-stock CG and a substantially rearward weight bias. Then you can add in several hundred pounds of downforce if you're willing to do the aero right. You could build a serious LT1 if you want, but the better option would probably be a turbocharged 4-cylinder with anti-lag, like GM did (budget for several replacement turbos each year). The point being, nobody has even remotely scratched the surface of CAM except maybe for Mike Dusold some years ago.
Old 05-13-2023, 12:24 AM   #1058
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Have you guys seen this Tire Rack Vid? Right now the cars generating the highest cornering forces seem to be using relatively small tires. STX class Toyota 86s are getting up to 1.6g running RE71RS in 255 width. An MR2 Spyder is hitting 1.5 with even narrower Stones... CAM cars aren't competitive in this area, is it just that we're too heavy, center of gravity too high, or ?
My BRZ owning brother would say weight first. Even though the engine has to set forward a bit, Subaru did a really good job making a light car. RE71's have been a go-to tire for while. Having a wide stock/allowed wheel is an advantage. I wish the vid was followed up with adjusted pressures.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 02:49 PM   #1059
KirillWA

Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Did another autocross event yesterday and couldn't even finish in top 5 (out of 76 cars).

Reason? More and more guys showing on new GR86s and BRZs with Hoosiers. While those cars are slow on straight (I'm reaching 90mph and they barely reach 75mph), amount of cornering grip with proper setup in those cars is phenomenal.

However, I'm running stock 1LE on stock Supercar3 tires and GM track wheel alignment. And they need to spend over a half of their car cost on mods in order to be faster then me for a second. Brakes, coilovers, wheels and tires, brakes, ECU tune etc.
Old 05-16-2023, 06:54 AM   #1060
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Nice driving!

--------

Also, with the new .827 PAX I'm not sure what it'll take to be competitive in CAM-C short of buying a GT4.R race car (~3200 lbs) and installing some interior trim pieces. Now we have to raw time AS cars like C6Zs and Cayman GTS? Seems impossible to compete on PAX short of having something like that GT4.R

Our PAX sucks now at .827. From what I hear it's simply because of the constant crying to allow wings. So the SCCA says, "yep, now you can have a wing, and oh yeah, here's your race car PAX to go with it". It was mainly the guys that do time attack stuff and want their cars to have the same mods going from Time Attack and then off to Autocross. How many guys do you know that do Time Attack? I only know a handful. On a typical course I believe our cars would pax much better with spoilers and .819 versus a wing and .827. I just don't see how it's worth .350~ish on a 35 second course. I ended up buying another trunk lid and am mounting a wing to it. We'll see what happens this weekend. My first race of the year.
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 06:36 AM   #1061
joelster

Ran at the inaugural UMI Muscle on the Mountain race over the weekend, Had a BLAST! Qualified in P2 behind Strano and just ahead of Jeff Darbig. Top 4 in our class advanced to the shootout. I thought for sure I had something for Sam due to the layout of the course which favored big power. But I coned my run against him, and hit neutral going for the 2-3 shift. Ended up running a 58.076+1. I'm sure it was a low 57 had I not missed the shift. The course was a riot!

Attached Images

1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
Old 06-20-2023, 06:21 PM   #1062
joelster

Here's my 58.076+1 to Sam's 58.473. I missed 3rd near the end. Had I not missed that shift it was likely a 57.2~ish to 57.4~ish (just guessing here). Obviously Sam approached the last run knowing that I coned so he didn't have to go full boogie to take the win. Still interesting to see the side by side comparison.

1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
Old 06-24-2023, 11:55 PM   #1063
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
I am running FS in SCCA Sacramento Chapter.
First two videos are on Falken 660's. We corded them on the last run on Saturday. So the second two videos are on Michelin PS4 All Seasons.
Based on my times relative to other drivers, the tires were worth 2 seconds.
I am the silver helmet and my 77 year old dad is the red helmet.
Not my best days, but enough to win FS.
Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...CN5WAJuthjT87j

Last edited by funked1; 06-25-2023 at 09:25 AM.
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 11:50 AM   #1064
rotis

Corded my Yoks at the Oklahoma ProSolo, so I put on some 3-year-old Falken RT660 scrubs for a local event.

They are so much sharper than Yoks, but damn there just wasn't much grip. Car was super nervous and I struggled to cope. This run would have been good for 4th in PAX, but it had +1 in the offsets somewhere.