Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-30-2023, 03:46 PM   #1079
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
1st FS, 2nd/63 PAX
SC3 still loving the hot weather (98 deg) with two drivers.
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 03:50 PM   #1080
jwisjw

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by funked1 View Post
1st FS, 2nd/63 PAX
SC3 still loving the hot weather with two drivers.

Have you ran down at crows landing? I think a lot more talent is down there and the site seems like it would be significantly better and faster.
Old 08-30-2023, 04:03 PM   #1081
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwisjw View Post
Have you ran down at crows landing? I think a lot more talent is down there and the site seems like it would be significantly better and faster.
Can't imagine a better site than Thunderhill. Have been down to Crows and was not impressed with the site or the course design (cone puzzle) on that particular day. Will definitely go back some day, at least for AAS.
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 05:52 PM   #1082
94boosted

Drives: ‘17 1LE, ‘17 BMW 340, ‘18 F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis View Post
Here was my best run from the first event on the new Nankangs-

https://youtu.be/QvKsV9aWSq8

They don't like to be cold and seem to thrive in the heat. I set top PAX in the morning when it was ~85deg, and went even faster in the afternoon when it was 102deg.

I'm running 325/30-19 on 19x12 square. The tire would probably be happier on a 12.5", but it would be tough to fit in front. These run big for their size.

They obviously work well on asphalt, really curious to see what they do on the Lincoln concrete.

This is obviouslly the CR-S right? How does it compare to the RE71RS or the Yoko's in terms of outright pace?
Old 08-30-2023, 06:20 PM   #1083
jwisjw

Quote:
Originally Posted by funked1 View Post
Can't imagine a better site than Thunderhill. Have been down to Crows and was not impressed with the site or the course design (cone puzzle) on that particular day. Will definitely go back some day, at least for AAS.
Most likely if it was not a scca or aas event, the course design I've seen have been weird.
Old 10-17-2023, 10:55 PM   #1084
jwisjw

Acquired a LT1 Camaro that is ESP lite prepped and ran it this weekend against the Corvette. Super diggy course but the Camaro was able to put index the Corvette.. barely by .001 non index time. Still need to decide on an intake manifold and install the flex fuel sensor and get it tuned.

Camaro

Corvette
Old 10-18-2023, 09:40 AM   #1085
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Acquired a LT1 Camaro that is ESP lite prepped and ran it this weekend against the Corvette. Super diggy course but the Camaro was able to put index the Corvette.. barely by .001 non index time. Still need to decide on an intake manifold and install the flex fuel sensor and get it tuned.
That's pretty impressive! This Alpha platform continues to amaze.

I'm curious: what are you using for a diff in the Camaro?
Old 10-18-2023, 10:09 AM   #1086
jwisjw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
That's pretty impressive! This Alpha platform continues to amaze.

I'm curious: what are you using for a diff in the Camaro?

I've always and forever will use the oe mechanical diff on the 6th gen Camaro. Have never liked the ediff.

The Corvette has an ediff that is tolerable but driving the LT1 on the same course has shown that it still has its non linearity but not as bad as the 1LE's
Old 10-18-2023, 11:15 AM   #1087
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
I've always and forever will use the oe mechanical diff on the 6th gen Camaro. Have never liked the ediff.

The Corvette has an ediff that is tolerable but driving the LT1 on the same course has shown that it still has its non linearity but not as bad as the 1LE's
GMPP eDiff tune helps a lot. I recently had a codriver in my SLE who has a non-1LE SS ESP Camaro and he didn't even notice the diff.
Old 10-18-2023, 11:32 AM   #1088
jwisjw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
GMPP eDiff tune helps a lot. I recently had a codriver in my SLE who has a non-1LE SS ESP Camaro and he didn't even notice the diff.
I believe all my experience has been with the autocross diff along with another calibration from a different vehicle and the setup on Schotz car is very similar to mine but has more power/lighter. You could definitely tell that the autocross diff cal was there still. The non autocross diff tune was better then the autocross diff tune imo but still no where a mechanical diff, especially throttle steering with huge amounts of steering angles as you can see from this course.
Old 10-18-2023, 11:50 AM   #1089
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
I believe all my experience has been with the autocross diff along with another calibration from a different vehicle and the setup on Schotz car is very similar to mine but has more power/lighter. You could definitely tell that the autocross diff cal was there still. The non autocross diff tune was better then the autocross diff tune imo but still no where a mechanical diff, especially throttle steering with huge amounts of steering angles as you can see from this course.
The regular diff tune is less predictable, the tighter the corner the less predictable. It can sometimes not open enough on turn-in, causing more understeer than you migh anticipate, and it'll also not lock fast enough on corner exit. The GMPP tune solved these issues, it's consistent and locks much faster on-throttle which allows for better rotation, and you know exactly what it's going to do every time. The OEM diff doesn't lock enough in some situations, my friend's non-1LE spins up one wheel in some circumstances.

The GMPP diff tune does require some adjustment to the handling balance though. I can't imagine anyone preferring the OEM ediff tune over the GMPP tune, it obviously worked well for GM's team, but to each his own.
Old 10-18-2023, 12:02 PM   #1090
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
With sq stones or now the nankangs , Nannie’s off in track and stock front bar, The only really annoying time with the EDiff was oversteer out of tight turns onto straights. On a very bad autoclub lot six surface with low grip. With the hotchkiss front bar set soft I now use, have no issues with the EDiff, or Should I say the EDiff and sq tire oversteer combo(?) I can focus on the now lesser steering response with the bigger bar and lazier crs turnin on the tight all turns no straight very grippy lot we now have, and never have to give the rear a second thought. Not sure what else I should be noticing with ediff behavior, the car just grips everywhere.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 12:44 PM   #1091
jwisjw

Quote:
The regular diff tune is less predictable, the tighter the corner the less predictable. It can sometimes not open enough on turn-in, causing more understeer than you migh anticipate, and it'll also not lock fast enough on corner exit. The GMPP tune solved these issues, it's consistent and locks much faster on-throttle which allows for better rotation, and you know exactly what it's going to do every time. The OEM diff doesn't lock enough in some situations, my friend's non-1LE spins up one wheel in some circumstances.

The GMPP diff tune does require some adjustment to the handling balance though. I can't imagine anyone preferring the OEM ediff tune over the GMPP tune, it obviously worked well for GM's team, but to each his own.
So the turn-in lock up feel or decel is isolated from the diff tune, fwiw. It is the calibrated engine torque that is created from the different modes that you want to run, touring, sport or track. The corvette experiences a lot more "lock up" on decel feel with track so we run touring and also the ediff is a lot happier with lock up on exit to help us rotate under power.

Surprised that your friends non-1LE spins up one wheel given it is a clutch type diff? I would suspect something is up with the setup of vehicle.
Old 10-18-2023, 12:56 PM   #1092
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:

Stock tune probably also contributes to my lazier turn in.
Dave, on a side note, remember when we talked about the cost of the tune? A guy up in NoCal just got it done. Cost $730! Gm charged 280 but dealer charged 450 for 1.5 hours. Didn’t think they were to charge extra, customer beware I guess
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote