Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-06-2022, 02:51 PM   #29
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Arpad...
Looks like a good product. I'm not adverse to it I was just surveying all the options in addition to that one.
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 02:57 PM   #30
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

I had originally thought carsifi was a typo on your part. Clearly not so I looked them up. Interesting. Another workaround option.

Since my car only has projection and not an actual AA head unit I'm leaning towards indiegogo AA wireless. Does that seem feasible?
Old 05-06-2022, 03:06 PM   #31
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Walkinshaw View Post
I had originally thought carsifi was a typo on your part. Clearly not so I looked them up. Interesting. Another workaround option.

Since my car only has projection and not an actual AA head unit I'm leaning towards indiegogo AA wireless. Does that seem feasible?
If your vehicle has support for Wired Android Auto, the Carsifi adapter would work. The benefit to them is that they support two BT profiles in the unit and you can switch between two phones at the touch of a button. The downside is that they have a lot of personnel that are/were Ukraine based and moving those folks around has disrupted their schedule a bit. Carsifi is also an Indiegogo project.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 03:12 PM   #32
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
If your vehicle has support for Wired Android Auto, the Carsifi adapter would work. The benefit to them is that they support two BT profiles in the unit and you can switch between two phones at the touch of a button. The downside is that they have a lot of personnel that are/were Ukraine based and moving those folks around has disrupted their schedule a bit. Carsifi is also an Indiegogo project.

Gotcha.
I went with AA wireless. As much as I'd like to support Ukraine citizens I decided to support them in other ways. Red Cross was my go to.
Old 05-06-2022, 03:20 PM   #33
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I'm using the Motorola MA-1 dongle on my 2016 2SS. Since switching Android Auto works much more reliably although it does take a little bit of time to come up. MSRP I believe is $90; problem is it's hard to find. I got mine off of eBay for $130 a couple of months ago, and now they're going for $190ish.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 03:22 PM   #34
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Walkinshaw View Post
Gotcha.
I went with AA wireless. As much as I'd like to support Ukraine citizens I decided to support them in other ways. Red Cross was my go to.
In looking more closely at the Ottocast product... it's a total hack. Based on the comments and more descriptive (poorly written / bad English) content from their web site and the Amazon listing (lol.. "Dual BRAND" WiFi)...

It is 100% an Apple CarPlay product. What they attempted to do was to create a 'shim' of sorts to allow an Android phone to connect and they handle the conversion over to Apple CarPlay in the dongle. Seems everyone with an Android phone has issues with it if you read between the lines with the comments on Amazon.
Old 05-06-2022, 03:44 PM   #35
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

After about 10 comments my intuition told me it was best to forgo that and revisit the indiegogo AA wireless. Glad we agree on that.

Ya know what's a pain? I'm paint correcting my neighbor's Mazda and because it's raining and I don't like the Camaro getting rained on I'm storing it down in her garage while hers is in mine. So every time I need to take a picture or install a different version of Android auto or do anything regarding this mess I have to walk seven houses down. I need to hurry up and finish this paint correction so I can get my Camaro back in my garage. Not to mention the damn weather isn't cooperating so I cant "finish" the job and ceramic coat it (it will blush with high humidity) so even when I finish correcting it, I'm still not done. First world problems. All in time....

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

2018 2SS 1LE HBM 6M
Old 05-06-2022, 05:35 PM   #36
MightyBobo

Drives: 2022 VOM 2SS 1LE M6 Camaro
Quote:
USB ports in vehicles are provided for data connectivity first, charging second. As a result, the defacto standard for basically every device that can provide data to the vehicle is USB-A.
That simply isn't a valid excuse for manufacturers anymore. Designing a data USB port with enough charging power - even one that is USB-A, with 2.4v - is not difficult or expensive. Of all things to penny-pinch, this should be the LOWEST on their list.

People take their mobile devices extremely seriously. They are already rendering infotainment systems virtually pointless. Certainly Navigation systems.

While I know the guts of the 6th Gen were designed prior to USB-C becoming the gold standard, considering the MAJOR infotainment upgrade that happened in what, 2019? Moving to USB-C was a no-brainer and they missed that opportunity. At least we got Wireless AA, I guess.

20211120 - 1100 --- 20211207 - 2500
20211208 - 3000 (TPW: was 20220103, now 20220124)
20211220 - 3400 (TPW: 20220110)
20220114 - 3800 --- 20220122 - 4300 (1LE Wrap Shuffle)
20220125 - 4B00 --- 20220129 - 4200 (Shipped! ETA: 20220223)
20220212 - 4800 --- 20220216 - 6000!

2024 Silverado EV RST First Edition on reserve, as well.
MightyBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:46 PM   #37
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:
Wireless AA wasn't a factory item until 2021 model year. The aftermarket devices seem somewhat hit or miss in that they either are solid are work perfectly for some folks, or they just don't work at all.

The AAWireless device mentioned earlier in this thread works great for the person that commented about it. I know someone that could not get it to work on their new Samsung in their Silverado no matter what they did. They ended up giving it away to a relative. I've read some similar-ish comments pertaining to the Motorola device as well.

Wow, now it really shows how behind GM is on tech. I my last 2 cars that were 2020 and newer had it, but the charging was fast charging, so wireless AA was not that big a deal. I really do wish GM had the overhead backup camera, as lining up in a parking space is extremely easy with it, and the Camaro doors almost call for it.

This is what my adapter looks like. About the only thing I hate about it is that I sometimes hit it because it sticks up too high when I'm reaching for my sunglasses or something in the passenger seat.
Attached Images

TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 09:16 PM   #38
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyBobo View Post
That simply isn't a valid excuse for manufacturers anymore. Designing a data USB port with enough charging power - even one that is USB-A, with 2.4v - is not difficult or expensive. Of all things to penny-pinch, this should be the LOWEST on their list.

People take their mobile devices extremely seriously. They are already rendering infotainment systems virtually pointless. Certainly Navigation systems.

While I know the guts of the 6th Gen were designed prior to USB-C becoming the gold standard, considering the MAJOR infotainment upgrade that happened in what, 2019? Moving to USB-C was a no-brainer and they missed that opportunity. At least we got Wireless AA, I guess.
You're still looking at this from the charging perspective. The masses don't care about charging, they care about data. Until the majority of the buyers are genuinely willing to pay more for it, the auto manufacturers aren't going to put it in.

Fast charging technology requires microchip circuitry that can alter the voltage and current rates based on the device connected and there are multiple 'standards' out there (at least half a dozen, and they aren't interchangeable). So, which one should the auto industry include? As soon as a decision is made for which one to include, someone else is mad because they were left out. On top of everything else, fast charge technology requires higher quality cables and that opens up another Pandora's box for liability from fire and such.

The reason that wireless charging is available in many cars now is because the world at least seems to be settling on Qi as the standard.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:25 PM   #39
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
You're still looking at this from the charging perspective. The masses don't care about charging, they care about data. Until the majority of the buyers are genuinely willing to pay more for it, the auto manufacturers aren't going to put it in.

Fast charging technology requires microchip circuitry that can alter the voltage and current rates based on the device connected and there are multiple 'standards' out there (at least half a dozen, and they aren't interchangeable). So, which one should the auto industry include? As soon as a decision is made for which one to include, someone else is mad because they were left out. On top of everything else, fast charge technology requires higher quality cables and that opens up another Pandora's box for liability from fire and such.

The reason that wireless charging is available in many cars now is because the world at least seems to be settling on Qi as the standard.
I'd concur with that as a matter of personal preference. As long as the phone battery doesn't deplete while using AA or CarPlay, I'm fine with whatever charging is available.

Even the upgraded wireless charger module I installed has a net positive charging rate while using my phone (and yes, my phone isn't the latest and greatest, it's a Samsung S10e, more than good enough for me, and as a bonus, it recently upgraded itself to android 12, so it isn't even behind in terms of updates).

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 05:41 AM   #40
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
I'm using the Motorola MA-1 dongle on my 2016 2SS. Since switching Android Auto works much more reliably although it does take a little bit of time to come up. MSRP I believe is $90; problem is it's hard to find. I got mine off of eBay for $130 a couple of months ago, and now they're going for $190ish.
$149 on amazon. Price gouging can my arse.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

2018 2SS 1LE HBM 6M
Old 05-08-2022, 08:07 AM   #41
mariojas

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6 & 2023 Stinger GT AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I'd concur with that as a matter of personal preference. As long as the phone battery doesn't deplete while using AA or CarPlay, I'm fine with whatever charging is available.

Even the upgraded wireless charger module I installed has a net positive charging rate while using my phone (and yes, my phone isn't the latest and greatest, it's a Samsung S10e, more than good enough for me, and as a bonus, it recently upgraded itself to android 12, so it isn't even behind in terms of updates).
What did you do to your wireless charger? I took this weird rubber mat from top of it and run it naked, hoping for better charging, having phone closer to coils, but still AA wireless will outpace it.

Charger sold! Better to sell, than waiting to be stolen...
mariojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 05:00 PM   #42
SOFO

Drives: Camaro Fifty
I use the AAWireless device in 2 cars (1 in my 2017 Camaro).

All in all I'm pretty statisfied.

Of course it has some software issues, but Android Auto (Google) also plays a big part concerning bugs. I reach a reliability of around 97% successful connects in both cars.

I use a brand wireless charger on long drives.

Android Auto eats up about 12.5% of my battery per hour.

Recharging works at a rate of 20% per hour when the phone is in dark sleep mode.

That means I recharge my phone at a net rate of about 7.5% per hour.
But: this works only when the phone battery does not overheat. Unfortunately during summer time this happens pretty often. In these cases, the phone battery does not recharge, however loses battery charge during the drive.

That's the reason why I ordered one of those magnetic charging cables as I want to test if this could be a better solution during high temperatures.
If yes, I would use something like a phone cradle with the magnetic charging cable fixed to the cradle.
SOFO is offline   Reply With Quote