Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 05-06-2022, 12:43 PM   #15
MightyBobo

Drives: 2022 VOM 2SS 1LE M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Walkinshaw View Post
I like being wired. I use another app on the phone separately while driving so it's best to have it plugged in. Plus it looks good and is out of my way.

Thankyou for the suggestion though. I have wireless AA in my other vehicle and I do like it.

While I hear you on wanting to be wired, I finally gave up on trying to run AA in wired mode in my 22, for two reasons:

First, it's unreliable. AA is infamous for being picky about cables, having to unplug phones and plug them back in. Stuff like that. I was getting tired of that game.

Second, and the biggest one: the charging speed from the car is comically bad. Like, seriously? USB-A, STILL, when USB-C was offered in the latest cars? Switch to a better cigarette-based USB-C charger (like this one) and use AA wirelessly. It'll charge FAR faster, and you'll be way happier.

20211120 - 1100 --- 20211207 - 2500
20211208 - 3000 (TPW: was 20220103, now 20220124)
20211220 - 3400 (TPW: 20220110)
20220114 - 3800 --- 20220122 - 4300 (1LE Wrap Shuffle)
20220125 - 4B00 --- 20220129 - 4200 (Shipped! ETA: 20220223)
20220212 - 4800 --- 20220216 - 6000!

2024 Silverado EV RST First Edition on reserve, as well.
MightyBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:26 PM   #16
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyBobo View Post
While I hear you on wanting to be wired, I finally gave up on trying to run AA in wired mode in my 22, for two reasons:

First, it's unreliable. AA is infamous for being picky about cables, having to unplug phones and plug them back in. Stuff like that. I was getting tired of that game.

Second, and the biggest one: the charging speed from the car is comically bad. Like, seriously? USB-A, STILL, when USB-C was offered in the latest cars? Switch to a better cigarette-based USB-C charger (like this one) and use AA wirelessly. It'll charge FAR faster, and you'll be way happier.
You bring up a valid side point. Maybe if I try switching over to wireless Android auto I may have less issues. The cable that I use in my other GM vehicle that works flawlessly with Android auto I'm also using in the Camaro so I know the cable isn't the issue. However maybe I should do what another poster had suggested and go wireless. I doubt it's the answer but at this point I've got to find a workaround because I rely heavily on navigation as well as my front-facing camera and I don't want to give up either one of those because of an HMI compatibility issue.

The Camaro charges at 1200 mA or less. Usb-C charges at almost twice that. I use the Ampere app. So yeah I feel ya, anything but C feels like a waste of time.

So yeah, based on you and another poster I'll go wireless and pick up the dongle. Can't hurt I suppose.
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:27 PM   #17
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
The original version as well as January February and March versions did not cure the problem. I'm starting to feel it's the car infotainment. Since Android auto works fine in my other vehicle it's not unreasonable to think that. Maybe I need to have dealer look and see if they're is another update even though my system says it's up to date.

Sigh. I hate the dealer.
Go into the Infotainment and find the various build dates for the different installed pieces of software. Post that up here and we can see how that compares against the software in other cars. Which radio code is your Infotainment system?

Also, there's a possibility that you may need to reset the Infotainment and start fresh if something got corrupted during a prior software update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyBobo View Post
USB ports in vehicles are provided for data connectivity first, charging second. As a result, the defacto standard for basically every device that can provide data to the vehicle is USB-A.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:31 PM   #18
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
You bring up a valid side point. Maybe if I try switching over to wireless Android auto I may have less issues. The cable that I use in my other GM vehicle that works flawlessly with Android auto I'm also using in the Camaro so I know the cable isn't on issue. However maybe I should do what another poster had suggested and go wireless. I doubt it's the answer but at this point I've got to find a workaround because I rely heavily on navigation as well as my front-facing camera and I don't want to give up either one of those because of an HMI compatibility issue.
Actually, you don't necessarily know that the cable isn't at least part of the problem. The specific implementation within the car and how it sees items on the bus (as well as how the ports are powered in the car) could mean that a mediocre cable that works elsewhere could fail here. Additionally, if you have ANYTHING else connected to the bus (including a SD Card or flash drive), those WILL cause you problems with your phone. I went through months of hell with all kinds of wonky issues with the phone not pairing, not transmitting audio through Bluetooth, going into an unresponsive state, etc. Then I pulled out the flash drive I had plugged in with all of my MP3's on it and haven't had a single issue since.
Old 05-06-2022, 01:55 PM   #19
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
I have no problem here with Android Auto. I use a cigarette lighter adapter with a USB-C connection. I'm a little disappointed that the car doesn't offer fast charging as most other cars I've had in the past 3 years have had fast charging. The only annoyance is having WiFi turned on every time I get into the car. If the car doesn't charge the phone fast enough, I say you might as well get a cigarette lighter adapter and use the wireless AA.
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 02:03 PM   #20
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
I have no problem here with Android Auto. I use a cigarette lighter adapter with a USB-C connection. I'm a little disappointed that the car doesn't offer fast charging as most other cars I've had in the past 3 years have had fast charging. The only annoyance is having WiFi turned on every time I get into the car. If the car doesn't charge the phone fast enough, I say you might as well get a cigarette lighter adapter and use the wireless AA.
Wireless AA wasn't a factory item until 2021 model year. The aftermarket devices seem somewhat hit or miss in that they either are solid are work perfectly for some folks, or they just don't work at all.

The AAWireless device mentioned earlier in this thread works great for the person that commented about it. I know someone that could not get it to work on their new Samsung in their Silverado no matter what they did. They ended up giving it away to a relative. I've read some similar-ish comments pertaining to the Motorola device as well.
Old 05-06-2022, 02:04 PM   #21
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
I have no problem with the charging speed. I was just responding to another poster.

For 4 years AA has worked flawlessly for me in both this and my other vehicle thats only a year old. For me, AA has not been what I've heard many others complain about. Hence why I'm so baffled by it. It's just been downright a great app/interface for me.
Old 05-06-2022, 02:06 PM   #22
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Wireless AA wasn't a factory item until 2021 model year. The aftermarket devices seem somewhat hit or miss in that they either are solid are work perfectly for some folks, or they just don't work at all.

The AAWireless device mentioned earlier in this thread works great for the person that commented about it. I know someone that could not get it to work on their new Samsung in their Silverado no matter what they did. They ended up giving it away to a relative. I've read some similar-ish comments pertaining to the Motorola device as well.
Amazon wants $170+ for the motorola ma-1 and target is sold out. For a workaround I'm not sure I wanna justify that. Albeit if it works then great. If not back it goes. I'm looking at others on Amazon (Ottocast) for a few less. Haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I appreciate a the feedback guys. It's appreciated.
Old 05-06-2022, 02:11 PM   #23
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Amazon wants $170+ for the motorola ma-1 and target is sold out. For a workaround I'm not sure I wanna justify that. Albeit if it works then great. If not back it goes. I'm looking at others on Amazon (Ottocast) for a few less. Haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I appreciate a the feedback guys. It's appreciated.
I wasn't aware that there was anything commercially available for AA other than the Motorola device. Everything else seemed to have been for Apple CarPlay.

AAWireless and Carsifi are available via indiegogo and Motorola is available commercially. The high price point you're seeing is almost certainly from third-party sellers as the original price was supposed to be like $100.
Old 05-06-2022, 02:29 PM   #24
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
I wasn't aware that there was anything commercially available for AA other than the Motorola device. Everything else seemed to have been for Apple CarPlay.

AAWireless and Carsifi are available via indiegogo and Motorola is available commercially. The high price point you're seeing is almost certainly from third-party sellers as the original price was supposed to be like $100.
It's also termed as U2-X in other listings. But it specifically says Android auto compatible in the title. Although I don't always put too much faith in these things.

Old 05-06-2022, 02:33 PM   #25
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

"Go into the Infotainment and find the various build dates for the different installed pieces of software. Post that up here and we can see how that compares against the software in other cars. Which radio code is your Infotainment system?

Also, there's a possibility that you may need to reset the Infotainment and start fresh if something got corrupted during a prior software update."

I'll grab those software dates uno momento....
Old 05-06-2022, 02:43 PM   #26
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I have AAWireless, and there's no way anyone could tell it is an indiegogo campaign output and not a commercial product. From packaging through documentation to app quality and updates, to support and to the product itself of course, everything is absolutely top notch. Best $55 I've spent on car electronics.

EDIT: just look at these numbers, this guy (along with his team) is not a flyby warrior. Tens of thousands of units have been shipped already.
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 02:49 PM   #27
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Ember regarding software

Old 05-06-2022, 02:51 PM   #28
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
It's also termed as U2-X in other listings. But it specifically says Android auto compatible in the title. Although I don't always put too much faith in these things.

What would concern is me that it says "for Factory Wired CarPlay" and doesn't explicitly call out Factory Wired Android Auto. I've become EXTREMELY skeptical of individual, third-party sellers on Amazon as I've recently had a number of bad experiences with items I've bought.

Plus, at that price, you could two AAWireless or Carsifi adapters.