Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-15-2016, 10:57 PM   #1
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Don't drop psi in your run-flats?

EDIT: Title changed due to confusion, explanation HERE

I was chatting about the new car with a coworker at lunch today and during our talk he mentioned something to me that didn't sound like bs, so I figured I'd ask those with experience if this is as logical as it sounds. I've never dealt with run-flats before.

Mentioned going to Bradenton later this year to get some drag time in with the Camaro. During the discussion I said I had read where people are saying for this size tire to bag them to around 20-25 psi. After a moment of hesitation he remembered that I previously said the car came with run-flats instead of a tire compressor. He said don't do it and get a second set of rears with more compliant sidewalls if I wanted to go to the strip.

Reason: Run-flats have a specific sidewall structure that is designed to take over when pressure falls or completely escapes. Once that happens, you have about 50-70 cruising miles on them to get to a shop. The minimum psi before the sidewalls take over (and their structure begins to compromise) is usually 26-28 psi, and should not be run below 35 psi. Bagging and launching on run-flats would kill their rigidity and would likely fail when a puncture occurs, ruining their entire purpose.

Question -- this made sense to me, what about the rest of you?

Last edited by JaxChris; 08-19-2016 at 12:17 AM.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:05 AM   #2
Cdflyer

Drives: 2016 1SS 6speed
While I don't think it will compromise the inner structure of the tire too much, I'm sure it has a slight effect, but nothing that will hurt the lifespan of the tire. Then again, having race only tires is never a bad idea.
Cdflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:19 AM   #3
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
I haven't had any premature wear on ours. We dropped pressures to 20PSI and ran 3-4 times on four occasions. We now have 3-4K miles after doing that and the fronts are wearing the same as the rears.

That being said, we purchased DR's on rims recently and plan on running the Nitto 555R's at Bradenton from now on since I have traction issues now.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:06 AM   #4
GirlyNFG

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6 w/ NPP
I dropped mine to 15psi just to see if it made any difference on the track and it didn't. I have welds and hoosiers now.
28"x10.5" MT ET Drag 28"x4.5" M&H fronts
PB: 9.569 @ 151.05
GirlyNFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:53 AM   #5
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
OP changed title of post "below picture now irrelevant"
Attached Images

Last edited by MiamiBlueCamaro; 08-19-2016 at 06:44 AM.
MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:31 AM   #6
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
Question -- this made sense to me, what about the rest of you?
Your term "bagging" doesn't make much sense to me. Suspension air bags for adjustable ride height? Inner tubes?

But anyway, I think the point he was getting at has to do with possible fatigue effects within the sidewall cord structure. It's stiffer than with non-runflats so that the car will still be supported (to some extent, anyway) by the tire's sidewall structure (instead of the wheel's flanges).

Fatigue is a much more complicated topic than can be described by the few numbers you can find on this tire topic. Long story short, the RF tire may be rated for 50 miles @ 50 mph . . . at zero inflation pressure, where the sidewall structure isn't getting a bit of help from the air inside the tire. The higher the inflation pressure, the more help from inflation you're getting.

At any non-zero inflation pressure, RF tire distortions will be less, heat generation lower, and life longer under that condition than when the RF sidewall structure is having to do all the work.

Naturally, you wouldn't expect them last as long being run at 25 psi as they would at 35 or whatever is called for. But neither would a non-RF tire.

Norm
Old 08-17-2016, 05:33 PM   #7
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
What size Nittos are you planning to run? Trying to figure out what would be cheaper, get a set of light weight wheels for a smaller set of DRs or get a size to work on the factory wheels.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:32 PM   #8
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Nothing about this makes sense to me..."Bag"?????
Ive ran "low pressure" in RF tires dozens of times thru the years w/zero issues. If thats what you mean.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:18 AM   #9
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

I've never heard the term 'bag' or 'bagging' used for a car other than with respect to air bags used in the suspension instead of the OE steel springs.

So if it's being used in a different sense here it's got to be some sort of slang that I've never heard before. Maybe it's only regional to the deep South???

Norm
Old 08-18-2016, 10:02 AM   #10
TransAmx2

Drives: '98 Pontiac Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I've never heard the term 'bag' or 'bagging' used for a car other than with respect to air bags used in the suspension instead of the OE steel springs.

So if it's being used in a different sense here it's got to be some sort of slang that I've never heard before. Maybe it's only regional to the deep South???

Norm
Central Florida here, and I agree, the term "bag or bagging" as far as I have ever know it would refer to air bag suspension, nothing to do with dropping tire pressure. Either different terminology or just some confusion on definitions on OP's part, no biggie, I still have friends I give a hard time to every time they say "Pop" for soda.
2007 Z51 Corvette M6 (Salvage Project Car)
1987 Trans Am 350tpi A4 RIP
TransAmx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:16 AM   #11
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Bag -- slang term since the mid-late 90's referring to the low tire pressure warning indicator which looks like a full plastic grocery bag on a flat surface. When people let the air out of the rears when they got to the track, they were setting off the indicator or "bagging" their tires.

But if it confuses people, I will change it. =)~
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:44 AM   #12
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Thanks for that. I appreciate the explanation, particularly the origin. I may never use it myself, but at least it'll really have some meaning when other people do.

One definition of a good day is a day where you learn something new.

Norm
Old 08-19-2016, 08:40 AM   #13
506JTF

Drives: Invalid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
Bag -- slang term since the mid-late 90's referring to the low tire pressure warning indicator which looks like a full plastic grocery bag on a flat surface. When people let the air out of the rears when they got to the track, they were setting off the indicator or "bagging" their tires.

But if it confuses people, I will change it. =)~
This is a common term used around here!
It's not uncommon for people to come up and ask if were "bagging down" the tires.
506JTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:13 AM   #14
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 506JTF View Post
This is a common term used around here!
One of my original points, exactly.

Regional slang usually doesn't have much meaning outside whatever region, even though it makes perfect sense to those inside it. FWIW.

I think this horse is dead now . . . maybe looks a bit - dare I say it - "bagged"?

Norm