Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 12-27-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
6 point harness question

Just got 2 6 point harnesses and was wondering if anyone else had 6 points and if so how did you connect the lower straps. Did you use a tank plate or just use the bolts that hold the seat to the floor? Also does it route under the seat and up over the front or between the seat back and base and you basically sit on the straps. Thanks for the help.

Guess I should say I have a 15 1LE with recaro seats and I also have a cipher harness bar
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:45 AM   #2
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Tank plate is the way to go. Im on my phone i will post you some pic's when i get home, there on my computer.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:46 AM   #3
Schluney

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
There is a road course/track/autocross section on this forum that has a lot of good info on safety equipment.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:18 AM   #4
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
I had a great talk with some industry experts last night and somebody at Ford ran a great study on what is the safest setup for their development drivers. Its a paper now. In summarry, dont run 4+ point harness without a hans device, which means you need a roll hoop since in a roll over the harness dont allow your body to compress and the roof compresses your head. So, harnesses are a must with Hans device AND roll hoop. Second safest was normal three point belt with the simpson hybrid hans device that straps around your body. It allows body to compress during roll over and hans keeps the helmet from ripoing ur head off in a forward colkision. Helmets are a bad thing without some sort of hans due to the mass of the hepllmet in a collision, actually found your safer without helmet in production cars with or without harnesses, makes sense.

Anyhow, i run 6 point harnesses without a hans and its been killing me to the point where I am welding in a roll hoop next year both for a proper harness bar and being able to run a hans device so I can go into advanced groups.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
Superman09
Account SNAFU

I would definitely run a weld in cage if I could. But this is still my DD and I have to put 2 kids in the back regularly so a cage is out of the question for atleast a couple more years. I do plan on getting a hans device soon, or atleast a hybrid.

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals
Old 12-28-2015, 02:34 PM   #6
cornerspeed92

In order to run a 6pt without any drilling you will also need a harness bar. Here's my old setup. I know have a roll bar so no need for the harness bar. I still run the tank plate.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2015, 09:05 PM   #7
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Thanks for the response cornerspeed. That answered my belt routing question. Now just need to find a tank plate.

Another random question for those still reading, would bolting the crotch straps to the seat track work as a mounting location until a tank plate is purchased? I don't even know if it is possible so just asking at this point.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:04 PM   #8
Daves1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman09 View Post
Thanks for the response cornerspeed. That answered my belt routing question. Now just need to find a tank plate.

Another random question for those still reading, would bolting the crotch straps to the seat track work as a mounting location until a tank plate is purchased? I don't even know if it is possible so just asking at this point.

dido
Daves1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:16 PM   #9
cornerspeed92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman09 View Post

There was a guy in the road racing part of the forum that was making them.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:01 AM   #10
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
I had a great talk with some industry experts last night and somebody at Ford ran a great study on what is the safest setup for their development drivers. Its a paper now. In summarry, dont run 4+ point harness without a hans device, which means you need a roll hoop since in a roll over the harness dont allow your body to compress and the roof compresses your head. So, harnesses are a must with Hans device AND roll hoop. Second safest was normal three point belt with the simpson hybrid hans device that straps around your body. It allows body to compress during roll over and hans keeps the helmet from ripoing ur head off in a forward colkision. Helmets are a bad thing without some sort of hans due to the mass of the hepllmet in a collision, actually found your safer without helmet in production cars with or without harnesses, makes sense.

Anyhow, i run 6 point harnesses without a hans and its been killing me to the point where I am welding in a roll hoop next year both for a proper harness bar and being able to run a hans device so I can go into advanced groups.

Where do you find a roll hoop for Camaro?

I run a four point harness without a roll bar. The harness is Schroth and is supposed to have excess material so that on impact it doesn't prevent you from sliding and therefore behaves more like a normal seatbelt. Nonetheless, the harness holds you in place nicely and I added a Hans just in case.

Are you suggesting that a lot roll cage is needed with a harness instead of a harness bar?

-CRT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:38 AM   #11
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
Where do you find a roll hoop for Camaro?

I run a four point harness without a roll bar. The harness is Schroth and is supposed to have excess material so that on impact it doesn't prevent you from sliding and therefore behaves more like a normal seatbelt. Nonetheless, the harness holds you in place nicely and I added a Hans just in case.

Are you suggesting that a lot roll cage is needed with a harness instead of a harness bar?

-CRT

I'm also using Schorth; Profi II ASM in particular. It is a 4 point with extra length stitched on one of the shoulder straps. During an accident, the stitches blow, and then the harness becomes a three point. I use it with HANS, and Schroth states that it is also tested and certified with HANS devices. The sub-belts are also available from Schroth, and you can easily turn it into 6-point, no problem.

Regarding roll hoop, you have to have it if you will be pinned, but hopefully an ASM harness like the one above should mitigate the necessity.

In short, I do have a harness bar, and 4-pount Profi II ASM in my Camaro. For my Miata, I went with a 6 point, but I also have a stout aftermarket roll bar. I sometimed wonder if I should've gone with a small (4 or 6-point) roll cage, though. Oh well..
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:39 AM   #12
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
I'm also using Schorth; Profi II ASM in particular. It is a 4 point with extra length stitched on one of the shoulder straps. During an accident, the stitches blow, and then the harness becomes a three point. I use it with HANS, and Schroth states that it is also tested and certified with HANS devices.

Regarding roll hoop, you have to have it if you will be pinned, but hopefully an ASM harness like the one above should mitigate the necessity.

In short, I do have a harness bar, and 4-pount Profi II ASM in my Camaro. For my Miata, I went with a 6 point, but I also have a stout aftermarket roll bar. I sometimed wonder if I should've gone with a small (4 or 6-point) roll cage, though. Oh well..

I have the same harness as you.

-CRT

CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:53 AM   #13
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
As X stated if your harness keeps you pinned to seat you should have a roll cage since the harness will hold your head in place and in a rollover you cant bend/collapse, which is not good.

X, how does the harness blow the stitches in a rollover since I would assume the tigh belts prevent a lot of weight from going to the shoulder belts in a roll over?

By the way, OEMs are now making sure all roll hoops are welded or bolted to the B pillar as well since ina forward collision the floor moves backwards, rotating the hoop due to the back bars, loosening your shoulder harnesses. Not good. So if you do run a harness bar B pillar connection is crucial. The Bauer kruesse one has me wondering since it mounts to tank plates that will slide backwards, loosening shoulder belts.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:24 AM   #14
Superman09
Account SNAFU

I understand the need for a cage but I still have to have my car function as a daily drive that hauls atleast 1 and fairly often 2 kids in the back seat so any form of weld in cage is out. And I am not aware of a bolt in cage. But if anyone knows of one or would be willing to help me fab one up I am open to either of those of options.

After messing with several different ways of attaching the belts it looks like a tank plate is the only way. How does anyone else connect the lap belts without a tank plate?